Hot Spot Question

Old July 1st 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
J Jones

Default Hot Spot Question

I've been using Speedplay Zero pedals and SIDI Ergo shoes for about 4 years,
but late in the season last year I started getting terrible hot spots on my
left foot after anywhere from 10-30 miles ridden. I replaced the in-sole
with a gel-based Dr. Scholls insole and that helped me finish the year last
year without much discomfort. However, the hotspots are back with a
vengeance this summer. My questions a

1. Should I just replace the insole, and plan on doing it every 6 months or
so?
2. Are my shoes, pedals, or cleats the issue (i.e., are any/all just 'worn
out')?
3. Should I be looking at other things - my geometry/fit has not changed at
all in 3 years.

Any help anybody can recommend is appreciated. BTW: I'm 6'4" - 195lbs and
like the speeplay pedals due to their 15 degrees float (easy on the knees).
Thanks!
Jeff

Old July 1st 08, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jul 1, 12:32*pm, "J Jones" wrote:
[...]

The thing that has helped me the most, whether I'm running or cycling,
is to NOT wear socks.

OK, so the shoes tend to become 'ripe' after a while but I can deal
with that a whole lot better than having 'hot foot'.

Hope this helps you.

Lewis.

*****
Old July 1st 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 1, 12:32*pm, "J Jones" wrote:
I've been using Speedplay Zero pedals and SIDI Ergo shoes for about 4 years,
but late in the season last year I started getting terrible hot spots on my
left foot after anywhere from 10-30 miles ridden. *I replaced the in-sole
with a gel-based Dr. Scholls insole and that helped me finish the year last
year without much discomfort. *However, the hotspots are back with a
vengeance this summer. *My questions a

1. *Should I just replace the insole, and plan on doing it every 6 months or
so?
2. *Are my shoes, pedals, or cleats the issue (i.e., are any/all just 'worn
out')?

After four years I'd suspect that your cleats are likely developing
play, and your shoes a good bit worn. The pedals probably just need a
shot of grease if anything.

Speedplays are known for a wonderful bit of float--perhaps a worn
cleat is increasing that and giving you a hot foot? I'd replace the
cleats first. If that doesn't help, I'd try a different pedal system--
whatever's on sale for $50 to see if that changes things and if that
doesn't help-then by golly--it's the shoes!

Old July 1st 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
J Jones

"landotter" wrote in message
On Jul 1, 12:32 pm, "J Jones" wrote:
[...]

Thanks Landotter - sounds like a solid approach. In looking at the cleats,
they are definitely 'worn' (to put it mildly)! I'll start there - $25 or
so. The pedals appear to be in excellent condition - very little wear, and
I've kept them consistently lightly lubed.
Jeff

Old July 1st 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

J Jones wrote:
[...]

Did you double check your shoe size? Or width?
A half size small or too narrow will be as you described.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old July 1st 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
"J Jones" wrote:

[...]

Could be the shoe is too tight across the top of your
foot, thereby restricting blood flow. Try making the
binding very loose, and see what that does.

--
Michael Press
Old July 2nd 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

Did you double check your shoe size? Or width?
A half size small or too narrow will be as you described.
--
Andrew Muzi

He didn't give his age, but if he's in his mid-40s, his feet might have
"grown" up to a full size. Amazing how many guys that age come in, insisting
that shoe sizing has changed recently. Uh... no. About that time your foot
flattens out a bit and lengthens. I'm just a bit over a full size longer
than I used to be, and I deal with the same issue with customers all the
time.

The other thing I'd question is that the shoes are 4 years old. If they've
seen a lot of use, it's possible they've broken down a bit.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old July 2nd 08, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bruce Gilbert[_3_]

"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote in message
news
[...]

Perhaps a trip to a podiatrist may be in order. There is a possibility that
you may have a neuroma or something. I have a morton's neuroma in both feet.
Once we knew what is was, I got some orthotics that deal with the problem
quite effectively. After 30 miles, my feet were burning so bad I had to get
off the bike. Now I can do 100 miles with nearly no problem. Get your feet
checked out first...

Bruce

Old July 2nd 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

J Jones wrote:
[...]

Foot pains are notoriously difficult to diagnose. My first suspect would
be too small/too tight shoes. As another suggested, try riding with your
shoes loose enough to feel sloppy and see if there's a difference. The
critical area for proper sizing is the toe box. If the shoe is too tight
there it may not feel it, but you can get what feel like hot spots under
the balls of your feet.

Another easy thing to try is moving your cleats back on the shoe. This
often changes the pedal stroke in subtle ways, curing many mystery problems.

Sidis are pretty stiff and not likely to change with age -- your foot
might have. I don't see any possible connection between worn
cleats/pedals and sore feet.
Old July 2nd 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

From my experiences my feet and those of fellow riders who have had
hot foot, is that it results from lack of circulation, something that
affects over 40 riders more than youthful ones. Although it seems to
strike randomly, I find it occurs mainly while pedaling without letup
(slight grade) where pressure is constantly on the ball of the foot
preventing circulation.

I deduce this from the cure I have used, and that its to intentionally
pull up on the pedals on the up-stroke to get air under the feet.
This has worked well and I am still using the Shimano SPD shoes I've
had for years.

SH-TO92 a shoe that seem to have been replaced by an new model under
the shoe heading "Road, Sport, and Touring Shoes".

http://tinyurl.com/3r6g59

A similar ill comes from braking continuously in cool weather so that
the fingertips beyond the lever pressure point become pale and seem to
freeze. This effect can be observed by hooking left and right index
fingers together and pulling. As the fingertips turn yellow,
circulation ceases.

Jobst Brandt