Shimano electronic shifting

Old January 22nd 09, 01:46 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
keithv

Default Shimano electronic shifting

Supposedly coming out next month.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscell...allery_shimano

Keith
Old January 22nd 09, 11:01 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Chris[_12_]

On Jan 21, 5:46*pm, keithv wrote:
Supposedly coming out next month.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscell...009/01/gallery...

Keith

And no less ugly than the last electronic shifting system and equally
prone to water issues, which is sure to make it a hit with the fair
weather status symbol cycling crowd. I think electrinic shifting will
eventually be option which works and works well, but I do not think
its time is now.

Chris.
Old January 22nd 09, 11:20 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Papa Tom

Why????

Old January 22nd 09, 11:29 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Don Freeman[_2_]

Papa Tom wrote:
Why????

My thoughts exactly. I wish I could still get non-indexed shifting.
Hate that ****. How hard was it to manually trim? Now I have to settle
for whatever the shifters decide is the sweet spot, and the majority of
the time I don't agree with it. I hate that sound of a chain that is
not lined up with the gear, but to adjust for one gear usually messes
with another.
Old January 22nd 09, 11:48 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Denis

"keithv" wrote in message
| Supposedly coming out next month.

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscell...allery_shimano

| Keith

Great I want to buy at the dozen

Old January 22nd 09, 11:49 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Clive George

"Don Freeman" wrote in message
Papa Tom wrote:
Why????

My thoughts exactly. I wish I could still get non-indexed shifting. Hate
that ****. How hard was it to manually trim? Now I have to settle for
whatever the shifters decide is the sweet spot, and the majority of the
time I don't agree with it. I hate that sound of a chain that is not
lined up with the gear, but to adjust for one gear usually messes with
another.

Y'know, you don't have to do that. Pick a shifter which allows you some
trimming.

(that is, assuming you're talking about FD. If the RD needs trimming,
something's wrong)

Old January 23rd 09, 03:22 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Jay Beattie

On Jan 22, 3:20*pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Why????

You can text message on them. I hear they have a camera, too. Plus,
you can put a shift button almost anywhere, like on your butt, so you
can do that Lance look-back glower kind of thing, slap your butt, down
shift and ride away. This is basically as cool as it gets. -- Jay
Beattie.
Old January 23rd 09, 03:33 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
A Muzi

Jay Beattie wrote:
On Jan 22, 3:20 pm, "Papa Tom" wrote:
Why????

You can text message on them. I hear they have a camera, too. Plus,
you can put a shift button almost anywhere, like on your butt, so you
can do that Lance look-back glower kind of thing, slap your butt, down
shift and ride away. This is basically as cool as it gets. -- Jay
Beattie.

"Text"? As in "OMG will you be my BFF?"
That will surely help in a crowded criterium corner.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 23rd 09, 03:47 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
ZBicyclist

Papa Tom wrote:
Why????

Because. Shimano has a bunch of engineers sitting around trying out
what might be cool stuff. Sometimes it makes it into market.

I'm sure a lot of us said the same thing about indexed shifting. My
daughter has a Schwinn Caliente with a Shimano Positron drivetrain,
which I think was Shimano's first try at indexed shifting.

I can imagine triathletes and time trial guys someday linking this
up with heartrate monitors (etc.) and getting a bit of an advantage.
Sometimes you only need a bit.

--
Mike Kruger
A face for radio, a voice for mime.

Old January 23rd 09, 04:04 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"ZBicyclist" writes:
Papa Tom wrote:
Why????

Because. Shimano has a bunch of engineers sitting around trying out
what might be cool stuff. Sometimes it makes it into market.

Maybe they'll make a fishing reel that hydraulically,
pneumatically or explosively casts your rig for you.
A li'l fulminate of whatever, or picric acid, or sodium
azide, & yer off 'n runnin'. The noise might scare the
fish away, though.

cheers,
Tom

--