Electronic Shifting Replay

Old July 20th 19, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Electronic Shifting Replay

AMuzi writes:

On 7/20/2019 1:43 PM, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 9:04:50 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

Hey! Just the guy I need :-)

Why a 3 months wait?

Hard to say. If there were radiographic changes around the end of
the root(s), the dentist might be waiting for them to resolve before
buttoning everything up. I don't usually do this because the
temporarily restored tooth is vulnerable to harm (fracture, loss of
temporary seal, etc.). I'll generally complete most root canals in a
single sitting unless they are symptomatic or heavily
infected. Otherwise, usually no more than 2 visits a week or two
apart.
Check out the new technology my department just acquired: https://sonendo.com/
I'm still learning how to use it, but it seems promising. Beaucoup bucks to buy, though!
Sorry... didn't mean to hijack the thread!

Don't apologize- a root canal is more interesting and less painful
than many topics on RBT.

+1
Old July 20th 19, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

You're wicked, Andrew Muzi. Your reward will be in a hot place.

Andre Jute
I've had root canal. I would certainly wish it on my enemies, if I had any/
Old July 20th 19, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 18:15:13 +0000 (UTC), Theodore Heise
wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 09:04:45 +0700,
John B wrote:
On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 17:48:34 -0700 (PDT), Steve Weeks
wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 12:07:00 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute
wrote:
That's a super Neddy article. Neddy is an all-purpose
technical innocent who requires explicit step by step
instructions... I love articles like that because they save
me the bother -- and the expense when I get it wrong -- of
working the steps out myself.

I was that "Neddy"... it was a real discovery process for me.
My "real" job is teaching dental students to perform root canal
treatment, and such documentation and teaching skills as I have
transferred to bike mechanics reasonably well. :-) Steve

Hey! Just the guy I need :-) My wife just finished a visit to
the dentist where, listening to her explanation, the dentist
apparently reamed the root out of the tooth and installed some
sort of temporary filling and told her to come back in 3 months
for the permanent fix. Please note that my wife is a Thai and
while she speaks English well she has little "technical
language" so her explanation may be faulty, but when I still
had teeth I had two root canals done and in both cases it was
all done in one sitting... as I remember.

Why a 3 months wait?

Well, you might ask about the "reamed out the root" part. Is it
possible he actually extracted the tooth (including the root)?
If an implant is planned, there is typically a several month wait
after an extraction for the bone to heal and fill in before the
post is installed. That would be followed by a crown that is
mounted on the post (after it is healed in too).

If it really was a root canal, maybe the other responder who
suggested need for an infection to resolve has it right--though I
don't recall ever needing to have the canals filled twice in the
several root canals I've had.

Well, the guy I was responding to had written that "My "real" job is
teaching dental students to perform root canal treatment" and as my
wife's dentist stated that it was a "root canal" I can only assume
that both parties did know what they were talking about.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 21st 19, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 5:10:15 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:

I've had root canal. I would certainly wish it on my enemies, if I had any/

Heh...I do about 30% of my cases without anesthesia, conditions permitting, and no one is suffering. Occasionally I see a case where comfort control is difficult, but these are rare.
Old July 21st 19, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 5:55:12 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

Well, the guy I was responding to had written that "My "real" job is
teaching dental students to perform root canal treatment" and as my
wife's dentist stated that it was a "root canal" I can only assume
that both parties did know what they were talking about.

That would be me. :-) I am an "endodontist"... 2 years of training after dental school, and my practice is "limited to endodontics".
Steve
Old July 21st 19, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 10:28:24 PM UTC-4, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 5:10:15 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:

I've had root canal. I would certainly wish it on my enemies, if I had any/

Heh...I do about 30% of my cases without anesthesia, conditions permitting, and no one is suffering. Occasionally I see a case where comfort control is difficult, but these are rare.

I've had many root canals done on me and I've never had any problems either during or after. I often wonder what's the big thing about getting a root canal done that makes people think it's such a terribly painful thing to have done. Or have I just been lucky to have good dentists perform them?

Cheers
Old July 21st 19, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 10:39:52 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

I've had many root canals done on me and I've never had any problems either during or after. I often wonder what's the big thing about getting a root canal done that makes people think it's such a terribly painful thing to have done. Or have I just been lucky to have good dentists perform them?

A very good friend of mine just had a failed root canal. After working on her
for 90 minutes, the dental guy said the tooth has four roots, but he couldn't
find two of them. It wasn't that she was in pain during the procedure; it's just
a really long time to be sitting in a chair with your mouth wide open, while
someone is digging around in your tooth. She's very disappointed that she's got
to go back so he can try again.

- Frank Krygowski
Old July 21st 19, 04:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 19:28:22 -0700 (PDT), Steve Weeks
wrote:

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 5:10:15 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:

I've had root canal. I would certainly wish it on my enemies, if I had any/

Heh...I do about 30% of my cases without anesthesia, conditions permitting, and no one is suffering. Occasionally I see a case where comfort control is difficult, but these are rare.

I had two root canal's some years apart and I don't remember any pain.
It is very likely that there was some but certainly not sufficient
agony that I remember it as having been a dreadful thing. In fact when
my wife came back from the dentist and said something along the lines
of , "wow! it sure hurt a lot", I was surprised.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 21st 19, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 3:28:24 AM UTC+1, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 5:10:15 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:

I've had root canal. I would certainly wish it on my enemies, if I had any/

Heh...I do about 30% of my cases without anesthesia, conditions permitting, and no one is suffering. Occasionally I see a case where comfort control is difficult, but these are rare.

A useful word in Afrikaans (like many German portmanteau words) has no direct English equivalent: "kleinserig". On the face of it, it translates, widely off target, as "little hurts", where "little" is a noun, not an adjective. In fact the "little" *is* an adjective and the true meaning is "someone who reacts to pinpricks" or perhaps more literally "someone who reacts to small hurts". I always take the full anaesthetic available and put down right smartly those who scoff "don't be such a big baby" or equivalents. I see absolutely no virtue in stoicism.

But root canal treatment, if by it is meant merely the process of rasping out the dead nerve and infection inside the root of the tooth, isn't actually the most painful dental procedure. Last year or the year before I had to have a tooth out, and by the time my dentist, my GP and my cardiologist's team had all exchanged several rounds of letters about whether it was better to suffer an infected tooth or to bleed to death from a long history of taking aspirin daily, which the cardiologists absolutely refused to let me stop for even a day, I was in serious pain, and putting a needle (to suck out the puss) down beside the root of even a long dead tooth with a post and a crown was awful even with anaesthetic. It was the grinding, grating, tearing feeling in my head that persuaded me that it hurt, of course, because there was no actual pain. I can imagine that, without anaesthetic, the hardiest patient would complain at this procedure.

Andre Jute
Linguist
Old July 21st 19, 05:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 11:43:27 AM UTC-7, Steve Weeks wrote:
On Friday, July 19, 2019 at 9:04:50 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

Hey! Just the guy I need :-)

Why a 3 months wait?

Hard to say. If there were radiographic changes around the end of the root(s), the dentist might be waiting for them to resolve before buttoning everything up. I don't usually do this because the temporarily restored tooth is vulnerable to harm (fracture, loss of temporary seal, etc.). I'll generally complete most root canals in a single sitting unless they are symptomatic or heavily infected. Otherwise, usually no more than 2 visits a week or two apart.
Check out the new technology my department just acquired: https://sonendo..com/
I'm still learning how to use it, but it seems promising. Beaucoup bucks to buy, though!
Sorry... didn't mean to hijack the thread!

I seem to be one of those people who have an extra nerve in each tooth that used to be missed occasionally until I would tell the dentist. Or rather, remind them.