Single Speed Recumbent?!

Old October 21st 19, 07:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

Default Single Speed Recumbent?!

What's this all about then?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC
Old October 21st 19, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 21 Oct 2019 08:38:59 +0200, Tosspot
wrote:

What's this all about then?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC

Well a couple of comments recommended them, or would that be
discommended them :-) Slow, can't go up hills the front drive wheel
will lose traction on a 5%+ incline, but stable.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 21st 19, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 7:39:03 AM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:
What's this all about then?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC

It's a recumbent-shaped object (RSO). A tricycle with one wheel at the front is inherently unstable. A proper tricycle has two wheels at the front and one at the rear.

Nor does it appear to be a proper bike for a geriatric. A gerry doesn't want to sit low and stretched out because it is an awkward position to get into and almost impossible to get up from again. In addition, anyone who thinks a fixie, directly geared to a wheel, is a bike for a gerry even on the flat, is by definition either a moron or a snake oil salesman.

No, I think someone built this bike down to a price, and then discovered there's no market for it, and is now blowing smoke in all directions.

Andre Jute
Ergonomics become more important as one grows older
Old October 21st 19, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

What's this all about then?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC

Well a couple of comments recommended them, or would that be
discommended them :-) Slow, can't go up hills the front drive wheel
will lose traction on a 5%+ incline, but stable.

I wonder about the "stable" part. Rear wheel steering isn't usually stable.

And even with a low center of gravity, I can envision someone
overcooking a tight downhill turn, hitting the brakes and toppling
forward and outside. That's a hazard with "delta" trikes.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 21st 19, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/21/2019 10:25 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Was there a fixed gear option? I didn't see that.
Specs say "freewheel hub".

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 21st 19, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, October 21, 2019 at 4:58:18 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the correction, Andrew. -- AJ
Old October 21st 19, 07:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 21/10/2019 17:58, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Mea Culpa. Otoh, it might improve the braking :-)

Old October 22nd 19, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 10/20/2019 11:38 PM, Tosspot wrote:
What's this all about then?

Â*Â*Â*Â*https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VGE3QC

I think the title (on the amazon page) says it all: "Beach Cruiser
Trike". I've seen similar things rented at beaches/boardwalks,
apparently for non-cyclists who want to play with the thing. Let 'em.

Mark J.