Touring route: Hamilton Montana - West Yellowstone

Old August 26th 05, 10:03 PM

Default Touring route: Hamilton Montana - West Yellowstone

Hamilton Montana - West Yellowstone

Anybody ever done this route? What is the best way.

Thanks,

Old August 27th 05, 03:17 AM
Chuck Anderson

wrote:

Hamilton Montana - West Yellowstone

Anybody ever done this route? What is the best way.

Thanks,

I used the Adventure Cycling route when I did it. It seemed like good
enough a route to me (and perhaps the only one?)
http://www.cycletourist.com/Seattle_to_Boulder

Take 93 south (obviously). South of Sula go up Lost Trail Pass and at
the Idaho border take 43 east over Chief Joseph pass. Continue on 43
past The Big Hole Battlefield (I thought it was worth a stop - the US
government committed a horrible travesty against the courageous and
peace loving Nez Perce). Keep going east to Wisdom, then south on 278 to
Jackson. Get water in Jackson as it's a long stretch over Big Hole Pass
and Badger Pass to Dillon (46 miles with no services).

From Dillon (I stayed at the Sacajewa Motel) take 41 north to Twin
Bridges (you'll see Beaverhead Rock on the way), then cut back south on
287 through Sheridan and Virginia City (I stayed in a campground *just*
past the town. The owner gave me and my bike a ride back to my tent from
the bar in Virginia city that night as it began to rain hard while I was
"rehydrating" that night in town), ... then over an "unnamed pass" ...

http://www.cycletourist.com/Seattle_...inia_City.html

.... to Ennis. Since I hit snow on the pass and had been rained on
heavily the whole night before, I stayed in Ennis all day and night to
dry out (very friendly trailer park campground as you enter town). Stay
on 287 all the way to West Yellowstone. I camped in one of the
campgrounds at Hebgen Lake - where I first learned that grizzlies are in
the Yellowstone area (I had thought they were only up in Glacier Ó¿Ò).
That seemed scary the first night, but hey, .... it's just part of the
adventure and nothing to worry about if you use the bear boxes or hang
your food up between trees. I camped in the Madison and West Thumb
campgrounds in Yellowstone and then kept on going all the way home to
Colorado.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old August 27th 05, 04:41 AM

Chuck Anderson wrote:
I used the Adventure Cycling route when I did it. It seemed like good
enough a route to me (and perhaps the only one?)
http://www.cycletourist.com/Seattle_to_Boulder

SNIP!!

your food up between trees. I camped in the Madison and West Thumb
campgrounds in Yellowstone and then kept on going all the way home to
Colorado.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson · Boulder, CO
http://www.CycleTourist.com
Integrity is obvious.
The lack of it is common.
*****************************

Very Cool. Thank You.

-n

Old September 13th 05, 04:35 PM
Ted

I did a tour back in 1990 going from Missoula, MT to Grand Junction,
CO. I went on a route that went through Hamilton and ended up in
Jackson Hole, WY. You could then head north from there to get to
Yellowstone. The route I took: 93 south from Hamilton, through Darby
and over Lost Trails Pass. Continue on 93 down to Salmon, ID. At Salmon
head SE on road 28 which goes through Leadore. Take this road until it
comes out on road 33. Head east on 33 through Mud Lake and over to
Rexburg. At Rexburg head north on 33 to Sugar CIty and then east on 33.
33 takes you over into Wyoming where the name changes to 22. 22 takes
you over the Teton Pass through Wilson and into Jackson Hole.

This was very beautiful countryside. Plenty of mountains & forests. I
was trying to find the most remote route that I could and this one
filled the bill! I was mostly staying in hotels but did camp at a few
places. One was at the base of Lost Trails Pass and the other was at a
KOA outside of Jackson Hole.