Oval Chain Ring: Recommendations?

Old May 14th 15, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Oval Chain Ring: Recommendations?

Speaking as one with squaroid tendencies - who is going to get worse,
not better - I'm thinking about trying an oval ring.

Seemed like I liked them back in my BioPace StumpJumper days.

I'd think cruising speed would be mostly a wash, but low-RPM hills would
be smoother - especially out of the saddle.

Has anybody got something that they like and which they didn't pay an
arm and a leg for?

104 x 35
--
Pete Cresswell
Old May 14th 15, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/14/2015 2:32 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Speaking as one with squaroid tendencies - who is going to get worse,
not better - I'm thinking about trying an oval ring.

Seemed like I liked them back in my BioPace StumpJumper days.

I'd think cruising speed would be mostly a wash, but low-RPM hills would
be smoother - especially out of the saddle.

Has anybody got something that they like and which they didn't pay an
arm and a leg for?

104 x 35

These are boutique items now and are not cheap.

See
http://www.ovalchainrings.com/contents/en-uk/p75_Ogival_chainrings_oval_chainrings_ovalchainrin gs_bernardhinault_road_tandwielen_48_34_tands.html

I presume you have to hand shift between the front chain rings unless
someone's invented a front derailleur that moves up and down as the
cranks rotate.

Old May 14th 15, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 6:06:38 PM UTC-4, sms wrote:
[...]

both CR's are matched ovoids together or

gnaw...chain would wait for a match or the carrier would need a nubbin forcing the match transfer....cut an equalizing groove....

butbubtu if ovoids worked then ovoids would be everywhere and .....not

if you search in google shopping there are a slew of ovoids on the market just not under the counter.
Old May 15th 15, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, May 14, 2015 at 5:32:27 PM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Speaking as one with squaroid tendencies - who is going to get worse,
not better - I'm thinking about trying an oval ring.

Seemed like I liked them back in my BioPace StumpJumper days.

I'd think cruising speed would be mostly a wash, but low-RPM hills would
be smoother - especially out of the saddle.

Has anybody got something that they like and which they didn't pay an
arm and a leg for?

104 x 35
--
Pete Cresswell

IIRC Sheldon on his site stated that you can spin even with Bio-pace chainrings. Note that there were 2 types of Bio-pace. I like them. Triple with 25-38-48 or a double with 42-52 (or smaller if you can get them0 or a triply with the inner ring left off if you want a double with smaller than 39 teeth. I think 39 teeth was the smalles ring that'd fit a double.

Cheers
Old May 15th 15, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 14 May 2015 15:06:36 -0700, sms
wrote:

I presume you have to hand shift between the front chain rings unless
someone's invented a front derailleur that moves up and down as the
cranks rotate.

Some of the Biopace rings were not so radical that they wouldn't work
with a conventional derailleur. For example, this machine (that I
stupidly gave away) uses a conventional front derailleur:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/Specialized-StumpJumper.html
Was never able to ride it, even with home made stilts on my shoes.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old May 15th 15, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per sms:
I presume you have to hand shift between the front chain rings unless
someone's invented a front derailleur that moves up and down as the
cranks rotate.

Hub shifter, only one front ring.

But my old StumpJumper had a front der that handled the BioPace rings
with not problems.
--
Pete Cresswell