Improvement :-D

Old March 25th 05, 02:32 PM
wafflycat

Default Improvement :-D

As today is a holiday, Nathan came out for a cycle ride with his Dear Old
Mum, on the entirely correct theory that as I cycle a lot slower than he
does, he wouldn't actually be pushing himself too hard - just keeping his
legs ticking over ready for his time trial on Sunday morning. So we did a
leisurely 18 - 20 miler, stopping
for lunch at our favourite Ye Olde Worlde Tea Shoppe in Ye Olde Worlde
Quainte Village of Castle Acre. It's the place Vernon & I sometimes have
lunch at & I like as I can have some quite delicious home-made soup (carrot
& orange today) with a chunk of warm wholemeal bread, whilst Vernon stuffs
himself on the delicious home-made cakes they do.

The waitress taking our order asked how far we were cycling & if it was
tiring. In course of conversation I said I was cycling with my son. Waitress
said I didn't look old enough for Nathan to be my son. I do appreciate a
good OTT compliment ;-)

The best bit was when cycling home, Nathan, who I don't usually cycle with
as he's much faster than me said that he's noticed today how much fitter I
am. He said he can really tell on the hills where I used to really huff &
puff to get up them and how he & I were carrying on a normal conversation as
we pootled along and that he noticed that I wasn't having to use the really
low gears to get up the same hills, whereas before I would struggle along in
the lowest gear of the granny ring.

So losing this weight (48lbs and counting) really is starting to give me
noticeable health benefits and that is a great incentive for me to stick
with it :-)

Cheers, helen s

Old March 25th 05, 03:50 PM
Tom

"wafflycat" wafflesATv21netDOTcoDOTuk wrote in message

So losing this weight (48lbs and counting) really is starting to give me
noticeable health benefits and that is a great incentive for me to stick
with it :-)

If you really want to shock yourself, and you have a friendly local
butcher who makes his own sausages, get him to show you what 48lbs of pork
fat looks like.

(pork fat and human fat are very close to each other in mass)

Tom

Old March 25th 05, 04:01 PM
wafflycat

"Tom" wrote in message

If you really want to shock yourself, and you have a friendly local
butcher who makes his own sausages, get him to show you what 48lbs of pork
fat looks like.

At Weigh****chers weigh-in each week, the leader has a kilo of fat by the
scales.

Cheers, helen s

Old March 25th 05, 04:14 PM
Peter Clinch

Tom wrote:

(pork fat and human fat are very close to each other in mass)

That would depend on the size of the pig! ;-) (ITYM density...)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old March 25th 05, 04:16 PM
davek

wafflycat wrote:
The best bit was when cycling home, Nathan, who I don't usually cycle
with as he's much faster than me said that he's noticed today how much
fitter I am.

Good for you! I'd take that as even more of a compliment that what the
waitress said.

d.
Old March 25th 05, 04:45 PM
Paul - xxx

wafflycat composed the following;:

So losing this weight (48lbs and counting) really is starting to give
me noticeable health benefits and that is a great incentive for me to
stick with it :-)

Nice one, Helen.

Mine's stil coming off at about 1/2 lb a week, so slowly and steadily,
but as you say, beginning to be really noticeable how much fitter I'm
getting. I've now lost about 23 lbs.

Keep it up.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old March 25th 05, 05:17 PM
John Burns

So losing this weight (48lbs and counting) really is starting to give me
noticeable health benefits and that is a great incentive for me to stick
with it :-)

Might I ask how you started and how long it's taken?

A good friend of mine is 29 stone and 5'6", he's tried most things - so
why not cycling! He goes to the gym twice a week at the moment.

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old March 25th 05, 05:39 PM
wafflycat

"John Burns" wrote in message
So losing this weight (48lbs and counting) really is starting to give me
noticeable health benefits and that is a great incentive for me to stick
with it :-)

Might I ask how you started and how long it's taken?

14 weeks. Over that period I've averaged 3.5lbs loss per week.

A good friend of mine is 29 stone and 5'6", he's tried most things - so
why not cycling! He goes to the gym twice a week at the moment.

I'm doing Weigh****chers. What is doing it for me is the discipline of going
to a WW meeting each week, doing the formal weigh-in and staying to the
meeting for the pep-talk. Quite frankly, most of it's in the head - I'm
*very* motivated. Everything I eat is "tracked", that is weighed and entered
into my food diary before it goes into the mouth. Plus I'm choosing *very*
healthy options 99% of the time and having treats occasionally. The easy bit
is the losing it - the hard bit is the keeping it off :-/

Cycling is helping me in that I'm losing more and consistently than the
other WW'ers who don't exercise, but exercise on its own isn't enough, just
as dropping the calories alone isn't enough - it's the frame of mind that's
the key.

Cheers, helen s

Old March 25th 05, 05:48 PM
Tom

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

That would depend on the size of the pig! ;-) (ITYM density...)

That'll be it then, thanks.

Tom

Old March 25th 05, 05:57 PM
wafflycat

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message

Nice one, Helen.

Ta!

Mine's stil coming off at about 1/2 lb a week, so slowly and steadily, but
as you say, beginning to be really noticeable how much fitter I'm getting.
I've now lost about 23 lbs.

Nothing wrong with your rate of loss. It's in the right direction, plus slow
& steady it's more likely to stay off relatively easily.

Keep it up.

Rather keep it down :-)

Cheers, helen s

--