V-brake binding.

Old May 3rd 16, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default V-brake binding.

On 5/2/2016 9:02 PM, John B. wrote:

There is an old, old, saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you
can't make him drink"

Obviously still a truism after thousands of years. :-)

I prefer Dorothy Parker's version:

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

That's the only horticulture joke I know.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 3rd 16, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, May 2, 2016 at 11:28:18 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/2/2016 7:59 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I figured out how to fix it! He just needs to push the "add to cart" button and follow the instructions. http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-BR-M42...=v-brake+front

Good grief, Jay, those things are nearly $20!

Ian will probably get his existing brakes fixed after another couple
weeks of diligent puttering and posting insults. He can easily save
that $20, and effectively earn himself about 50 cents per hour.

Of course, he still won't have back brakes, so we can look forward to
another month of light-hearted banter.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Don't forget that the rear calper with the adjusting bolt got broken = not the bolt but the caliper itself which means he needs another caliper. methinks he's going to wait until he finds something in the skip (dumpster) to use instead. Thing is if it's the cable housing, ferrules or noodle he'll very likely STILL have the problem.

Cheers
Old May 3rd 16, 12:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 2 May 2016 23:29:08 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/2/2016 9:02 PM, John B. wrote:

There is an old, old, saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you
can't make him drink"

Obviously still a truism after thousands of years. :-)

I prefer Dorothy Parker's version:

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

That's the only horticulture joke I know.

Horticulture? "The cultivation of plants" Farmer?
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 3rd 16, 01:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/2/2016 11:15 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Most of the second-tier linear V brakes ( Promax, Tektro
etc) ship with a cable and cost a bit less than Shimano.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 3rd 16, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

On 5/2/2016 9:02 PM, John B. wrote:

There is an old, old, saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you
can't make him drink"

Obviously still a truism after thousands of years. :-)

I prefer Dorothy Parker's version:

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

That's the only horticulture joke I know.

Horticulture? "The cultivation of plants" Farmer?

She was being punny. Try sounding it out.

Or ask a sixth grader, "What's the difference between a hormone and
a vitamin?"

Old May 4th 16, 02:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 03 May 2016 23:39:48 +0100, Phil W Lee
wrote:

"Ian Field" considered Sun, 1 May
2016 19:54:01 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"Tosspot" wrote in message
om...
On 30/04/16 14:54, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 29 Apr 2016 19:32:47 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 1:37:22 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:

You'd think I'd know better than to even bother asking
here........................................

Then exactly WHY did you ask here? And of course you won't mind if
there's
no response in the future.

I'm seriously considering unsubscribing from this group - all I ever get
is
patronising and insulting replies.

Errrr.... You don't have to unsubscribe. You can just leave.

I can't actually remember ever getting the right answer here before I
figured it out by myself.

And a damned good reason to leave, I'd say.

Jeez, did anyone follow the thread enough to find out what the problem
was?

Probably too much preload on the springs causing pivot friction.

Only one person came even close - and they suggested I'd made the really
basic stupid mistake of setting the 2 springs to different preloads.

No I didn't.
The closest I came to that was suggesting that you check that they
were in the same holes if the screws needed to be set radically
different to each other - which was another thing that you'd never
actually told us, so it seemed perfectly reasonable to include it in
advice which was as complete as possible. After all, we also don't
know if you'd had the brakes apart or acquired it in that condition,
so there was no suggestion at all that YOU'D made the really basic
stupid mistake or some previous owner. Hence going right back to
basics on the advice.

If I'd done that; it probably wouldn't have been possible to balance the
calipers at all - and that wasn't the problem.

Well if you don't check if it's the problem, how would you know?
And if the springs are in different holes you could still get balance
if one screw was right out and the other right in - a confusion you
introduced when you wrote about backing one screw so far out it
snagged on something and broke off a chunk of the brake arm, which
confusion was not cleared up by your writing that it was the other
brake until much later.

Most of the answers I get on this group are patronising and insulting - and
usually wrong.

Rather like your slow revealing of the true facts, starting with
complete vagueness and use of the wrong terms to describe components,
progressing through the confounding issue you introduced by moving
onto a broken back brake, and ending with the outright denial that
anything anyone had said had helped you in the slightest.

There just isn't any point asking anything technical on this 'tech' group.

Despite you very reluctant admittance that I'd nailed it, which you
still tried to taint with accusations of it being patronising.
The advice was no more basic than it needed to be for you to finally
get it.

You don't understand. It wasn't his fault, it was your's and it i
never going to change. You see some folks are "perfect people" and
never make a mistake and are always young and beautiful, while others
get old and gray, make mistakes and offer faulty advice.

I don't know if you remember Flip Wilson but he made a career out of
the tag line, "The devil made me do it". To paraphrase Flip, "Lee made
me do it" :-)
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 4th 16, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

On 5/2/2016 9:02 PM, John B. wrote:

There is an old, old, saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you
can't make him drink"

Obviously still a truism after thousands of years. :-)

I prefer Dorothy Parker's version:

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

That's the only horticulture joke I know.

Horticulture? "The cultivation of plants" Farmer?

She was being punny. Try sounding it out.

Or ask a sixth grader, "What's the difference between a hormone and
a vitamin?"

Hor? Ti? Culture?
Horti? Culture?
????
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old May 4th 16, 01:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

On 5/2/2016 9:02 PM, John B. wrote:

There is an old, old, saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you
can't make him drink"

Obviously still a truism after thousands of years. :-)

I prefer Dorothy Parker's version:

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

That's the only horticulture joke I know.

Horticulture? "The cultivation of plants" Farmer?

She was being punny. Try sounding it out.

Or ask a sixth grader, "What's the difference between a hormone and
a vitamin?"

Hor? Ti? Culture?
Horti? Culture?
????

keyword= 'her'.

I just ♥ Dorothy Parker

Old May 4th 16, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 5/2/2016 9:02 PM, John B. wrote:

There is an old, old, saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you
can't make him drink"

Obviously still a truism after thousands of years. :-)

I prefer Dorothy Parker's version:

"You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think."

That's the only horticulture joke I know.

Horticulture? "The cultivation of plants" Farmer?

She was being punny. Try sounding it out.

Or ask a sixth grader, "What's the difference between a hormone and
a vitamin?"

Hor? Ti? Culture?
Horti? Culture?
????

Put a W before the H and try again.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 4th 16, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Ian Field" considered Sun, 1 May
2016 19:54:01 +0100 the perfect time to write:

"Tosspot" wrote in message
om...
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

You must've had selective blindness on all the occasions I described the
things I'd tried while servicing the pivots - like trying different types of
grease, and lightly sanding the pivot surfaces trying to get them to hold
onto some grease. Even running a spare detachable pivot post in the electric
drill to make sure the hole in the caliper arm run smooth.

The only suggestions I got were all the first things I checked - to say that
I'm not impressed, would be something of an understatement.

If I'd asked on rec.bicycles.diy.bodger - the standard of replies I got here
would have been understandable.

I'm starting to wonder what terrible thing some people here did in a
previous life to come back as what they did!