No Helmets Needed?

Old January 6th 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default No Helmets Needed?

wrote in message
oups.com...

SMS wrote:
wrote:

This does not really follow unless you are suggesting that a high level
of education makes one more vunerable to propaganda - which if the
propaganda is in written form may be true

It's a low level of education that makes people not understand the
difference between causation and correlation.

But if your highly educated riders wore helmets because they thought
that helmets were protecting them it suggests that they were buying the
propaganada for, as you are (or should be anyway) aware, most studies
other than junk science like the Thompson, Rivara and Thompson (1989)
do not support the premise that helmets prevent injuries.

It is always best to follow what highly educated people are doing and not
what morons and ignorant slobs are doing. Elementary, my dear Watson!
[...]

A statement such as "cycling injuries/deaths went up after a helmet law
was passed, so helmets are not necessary" shows a lack of understanding
of correlation versus causation that a more educated person would not
fall for.

Strangely enough our statement seems to show that you do not
understand the nature of statistical correlation or the nature of
scientific proof.

No one, least of all John Kane of the Tricolour, knows anything at all about
statistics. This is a well known scientific fact.

I.e. "I must say I've enjoyed my cycling a lot more since I
found out how necessary they aren't and stopped wearing one." I'm not
sure if this poster was being sarcastic and trolling, or if he really
has fallen for the junk science.

No I suspect like me he has actually read and understood the reseach.
And to use the dreaded anecdote I have been damn near killed or
seriously injured because I was wearing a helmet when cycling. They
may have their uses, possibly in aggressive off-road riding which I
don't do but I find that they are really too dangerous to wear under
normal circumstances.
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Anecdotal evidence counts too! The number of cyclists who believe they have
been saved from serious harm by wearing a helmet is too overwhelming to be
ignored except by dunderheads like yourself. You really should just shut up
as you may very well be contributing to the future death of some poor slob
who is actually listening to your nonsense.

The best thing that John Kane of the Tricolour could do is to immerse
himself in an Emergency Room for a year or so. There he would discover that
cycling without a helmet makes about as much sense as driving a car without
a seat belt. But who are you going to listen to, these freaks who don't
believe in helmets or the overwhelming consensus of experts who advise us to
wear a helmet when cycling.

I am convinced that these freaks who do not like helmets do not like them
because it musses up their hair. They imagine that their hair is more
important than their lives. And they may well be right about that. I mean,
just what kind of folks are these anyway who counsel death and destruction.
They should all be taken out and given a good thrashing.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 6th 06, 08:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Hayvern wrote:
I have a nice 3 inch scar in my forehead from a bicycle crash in 1977.
This scar would have been avoided had I been wearing a helmet. Yeah, I
look like a dork, but 25 stitches in my forehead was not a lot of fun
either.

I took a bad fall several years ago and bounced my helmeted head off
the pavement hard enough to break the helmet. I am quite grateful that
the helmet absorbed some of the impact my head would have had I not
been wearing a helmet. My scalp is also grateful that it did not have
to be abraded by the blacktop.

If some folks want to ride without helmets, they should have the right
to do so without the government telling them otherwise. As for me, my
helmets are light enough that I hardly notice them and my experience
has proven to me that they do provide a level of protection that I am
glad to have.

Dick Durbin

Old January 6th 06, 08:51 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:31:15 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

Anyone who takes any of this helmet vs. no helmet crap seriously has got
rocks in their heads. One thing is for sure, we cyclists are way too
stupid
to ever figure it out. I give you Frank K. as an example of the
subspecies -
Homo cyclist stupidus.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Ed, you've hit the nail on the (helmeted) head here!

We need to wear styro hats while cycling, and really should at all
times, if for no other reason than to keep those rocks on the inside
where they belong.

Indiana MIke

Yes, Mike, to go about bareheaded is uncivilized as well as being uncouth.
Only a savage and a barbarian like Frank K. would sink that low. What is the
world coming to, I ask you. Well, I don't know about you, but I am going to
leave this vale of tears soon where gentlemen such as myself can no longer
wear a man's HAT. Screw these ridiculous baseball caps all the way to Hell
and back! They are for nerdy teenagers, not for Great Ones like Ed Dolan.

Old January 6th 06, 09:09 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
[...]
I knew Mr. Dolan was aware he was cross-posting, something he has
claimed to never do. And now I see why. He thirsts for new blood,
having successfully (in secret partnership with Mr. Ed Gin) drained
most of the life from our home stomping grounds, ARBR.

Now if he would only go for the challenge and start haunting only your
group! As he would say, 'Oh happy day!'

Indiana Mike

I think a bit of cross posting to RBM is OK as long as it is not recumbent
specific. After all, we are all into recreational cycling. That is the main
thing, not what kind of bike we ride. Mr. Sherman of ARBR could perhaps
advise us if these two groups are compatible with one another.

One other item. ARBR has been pretty much destroyed due to a criminal vandal
troll. By cross-posting we will get some new blood into ARBR and that will
have the effect of diluting the criminal posting that is going on there.

Normally, I remain very opposed to any cross-posting. But it may be the only
thing that will save ARBR.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

PS. Mike of Indiana does not really want me to leave ARBR. Hells Bells, I am
just about the only one he responds to as far as I can tell. That is
because I have the knack of saying interesting things in an interesting way.
Quality will win out every time. But Great Ones like Ed Dolan need and
appreciate a reader like Mike of Indiana.

Old January 6th 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 14:51:18 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

(snip)
Screw these ridiculous baseball caps all the way to Hell
and back!

Ed you really need to consider cutting back on the kinky satanic
sexual references.

No, screw is acceptable. The f*** word is not as well as most allusions to
asses and penises. But of course exceptions can always be made in the case
of egregious miscreants.

References to Hell and Heaven are always perfectly acceptable. Even my
sainted mother mentioned Hell a few times in her life but, admittedly, she
mentioned Heaven a whole lot more. Well, you and I, being creatures of the
21st century, are never going to see either one of those fabled places. All
we are ever going to see is Oblivion.

Here it is for the uninitiated:

"Once I wasn't, Then I was, Now I ain't again." - Ed Dolan the Great

Old January 6th 06, 09:41 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:11:47 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:
(snip)

Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Have look at his signature. I mean really look at it. Do you want to take
advice from someone this screwed up?

For a proper signature I refer you to mine.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka
or
Mr. Ed

Has it occured to Mr. Dolan that Peter Clinch might be posting from a
computer he also uses to communicate with his professional contacts?

As an ex-librarian who has often expressed pride in being too lazy to
ever look anything up I would think that you would understand someone
not wanting to bother with separate sig's for separate purposes.

Sometimes I really wonder about your mental health, Oh Grate One.

Indiana Mike

No, I stand by my opinion of him as being one of the foremost assholes I
have ever encountered on any newsgroup because of his stupid signature.
Posting to a newsgroup is the most important thing you can do in life and it
takes precedent over all else. It is surely a hundred times more important
than being a Medical Physics IT Officer - whatever the hell that is.

Old Pete should get that freaking signature off his messages and replace it
with something that would let the rest of us know that he is at least sane.
But he is an ego maniac. When it comes to egos, I will let no man get ahead
of me in that department. My Greatness will not permit it!

Old January 6th 06, 10:11 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
snip
..
Only a savage and a barbarian like Frank K. would sink that low.

snip

I'm only guessing, but I'd bet Frank K. has never been called a savage and a
barbarian in rec.bicycles.misc. Not even in one of their stupid helmet
threads.

Tough crowd in the recumbent room.

Old January 6th 06, 10:13 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
Horseback riding helmets sound like a good idea. Funny how that sport
seems so female, though.

Yes, it is mainly young teenage farm girls who are into horse riding. They
especially like to do their thing at county fairs.

Yeah, but who cares - and who needs to know any of this?

Well, I guess you do, since you've been asking and asking!

I want Peter Clinch to stop telling us all about himself in his stupid
signature. We only need to know one or two things about anyone on Usenet -
like maybe their name and where they are from. You are remiss in the name
department yourself.

It has nothing to
do with recumbents and/or cycling. He is doing nothing but crowing about
himself.

Well, how's that any different from customizing your 'bent with decals
and such?

Usenent is a public forum that anyone can tune into if they want. Rules
govern how we should behave here. Old Pete is essentially spamming us for no
purpose. He is beneath contempt.

Furthermore, he is not Great like I am. See my signature to know
who I am.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota

Do riders carry rifles up there? Just in case they see a deer or a car
or something. ^_^

Well, yes, I need it for the occasional snakes and other critters you know.

aka

Ah, you're that "Prairie Home Companion" regular, huh?

I simply can't stand Keillor. He is absolutely the world's biggest bore, bar
none. Besides that, he is the worst kind of liberal you can imagine. He
should have been a preacher. He surely is no entertainer.

Old January 6th 06, 10:18 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message
t...
In article . com, NYC
XYZ ) wrote:

snip
Surely someone manufactures a lightweight helmet that's stronger and
lighter than styrofoam?

URL:http://tinyurl.com/78ows ?

--
Dave Larrington -

Why isn't that guy wearing cycling gloves? They optional too?

No Helmets Needed? NYC XYZ General 206 January 16th 06 01:08 PM
Bicycle helmets help prevent serious head injury among children, part one. John Doe UK 3 November 30th 04 03:46 PM
Does public health care pay for your head injuries? John Doe UK 187 November 30th 04 02:51 PM
Convincing people to use helmets Oliver Keating UK 391 February 25th 04 11:50 AM
Compulsory helmets again! Richard Burton UK 526 December 29th 03 08:19 PM