No Helmets Needed?

Old January 6th 06, 10:28 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Default No Helmets Needed?

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:27:11 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

[...]
References to Hell and Heaven are always perfectly acceptable. Even my
sainted mother mentioned Hell a few times in her life but, admittedly, she
mentioned Heaven a whole lot more. Well, you and I, being creatures of the
21st century, are never going to see either one of those fabled places.
All
we are ever going to see is Oblivion.

Here it is for the uninitiated:

"Once I wasn't, Then I was, Now I ain't again." - Ed Dolan the Great

Kinda loses a little without reference to the location of this
inscription.

I have decided to make the above epitaph my own since I am the only one who
seems aware of it or appreciates the profundity of it. Yes, it is
plagiarism, but all in the good cause of enlightenment. Most importantly of
all, the above statement is worthy of my Greatness, something that can't be
said for most everything else that is said on this group. Besides, I have
always thought the above to be true since I was a teenager. Therefore, in
effect, it is mine.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old January 6th 06, 10:42 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"HH" wrote in message
news

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
snip
.
Only a savage and a barbarian like Frank K. would sink that low.

snip

I'm only guessing, but I'd bet Frank K. has never been called a savage and
a barbarian in rec.bicycles.misc. Not even in one of their stupid helmet
threads.

Tough crowd in the recumbent room.

By advocating that cyclists should not wear helmets they are in effect
committing murder by proxy. Their thinking is all based on junk science
which they do not have the brains to see through. It is just so damn
disgusting see this kind of crap. And it is always the same old crowd who
clamor against helmets no matter what cycling newsgroup you go to. It is
better to just call them what they are and let it go at that. And what are
they? They are murderers by proxy.

We need to keep in mind that newsgroups are just chock full of idiots and
morons who somehow learned to write a sentence or two but never did learn
how to think about anything. A little learning is a dangerous thing and
fools indeed most certainly do rush in where angels fear to tread.

Old January 6th 06, 11:25 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Edward Dolan wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

Edward Dolan wrote:

I maintain that you have to wear something on your head when you go
cycling.
Therefore, it might as well be some kind of helmet.

Wait - did you not examine the links I posted? There are many people
pictured who did were _not_ wearing anything on their heads when
cycling. That's proof that you _don't_ have to.

[...]

Anyone who does not wear SOMETHING on their blasted head when in the great
out of doors is uncivilized. If you were civilized you would know this much
at least. But you are a barbarian and a savage who goes about the world
uncovered. You belong in New Guinea, not the Western World.

In the good old days, a gentleman of culture and leisure such as myself
would not be caught dead out of doors without SOMETHING on his blasted head.
I blame President Kennedy for setting in motion this penchant for not
wearing anything on your blasted head. Frank, I urge you, put SOMETHING on
that blasted head of yours, most especially when you are riding your bike.
Otherwise, you will look like the dork and the jerk that you are.

I am also of the notion that grown men should not be wearing baseball style
of caps. They are for nerdy teenagers, not dignified men of the world. Go
back to the 1930's if you would know what we should be wearing on our
blasted heads.

I suppose that means we need to wear a wool suit, tie and spats, with
Oxfords to go along with that fedora. I spend 6 months of the year
wearing a touque outside, typically wear a ball cap during the summer,
when being active. They keep the sun off your head, the sun out of your
eyes, work well for keeping rain out of your eyes as well.

- Frank Krygowski

Have you ever thought of doing something about your name? Krygowski looks
dumb. It is way too Slavic. All the Slavic languages are an abomination. I
don't know which is worse, Polish or Russian. The sooner the world gets
Anglicized and Americanized, the better. Why not do something useful
(instead of blathering about bike helmets) and get a name change. All those
consonants look ridiculous. God only knows how it is pronounced.

I would say Polish, Russian names of that style often end with sky,
there are also Prussian versions, that typically end in ske ( I have a
couple of cousins with a name that ends ske). As for Frank's I would
guess Cry-gow-ski (the gow part rhymes with cow)....

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

You really should talk to someone about your ego problem, you should
have a nice chat with a good therapist.....

Old January 7th 06, 03:16 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

NYC XYZ wrote:
Just curious: why does the HP Velotechnik site show photos of
helmetless riders?

Anyone actually fell of a 'bent? Seems like a harder thing to do, no?
I mean, don't you just put your foot down -- the body's so close to the
ground as it is....

I'm still not sure how styrofoam is supposed to protect the head...why
not wear a real helmet?

Surely someone manufactures a lightweight helmet that's stronger and
lighter than styrofoam?

I want skid plates for my hips and elbows, so I can get really crazy on
a lowracer!

I remember some moron crashing my Red Sunset on a slippery tight corner
seeing how fast he could do parking lot laps at the Chicagoland holiday
recumbent party a couple of years ago and getting a bruised hip. Hey
wait, that was me!

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 7th 06, 03:34 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Peter Clinch wrote:
One thing to bear in mind with 'bents is they have rather different
performance characteristics to typical uprights. You'll typically be
slower up hills, faster into headwinds and down hills. This can be a
problem for all concerned if you're on a group tour on a hilly, windy
circuit, depending on how much folk are happy to wait up and take it at
a slowest pace. Lower machines can make life a little more awkward to
speak to folk next to you, and the fact that other folk can't draft you
can be an annoyance to some, though it'll depend on the group.
Something to bear in mind if you're into group riding though.

The most annoying thing on larger group rides is when a cluster of
upright cyclists spread out and take up the whole road (or whole lane
when there is oncoming traffic) on a descent. This forces the rider on
an aerodynamic recumbent to ride the brakes all the way down the hill.
I am sure these same upright riders would be "****ing and moaning"
if a slow group of Fat Old Geezers (FOGs) on recumbents did the same on
an uphill section.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 7th 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Helmet manufacturers, their trade associations, and the "safety"
societies they donate big money to (like, for example, Safe Kids Inc.)
have falsely portrayed ordinary cycling as a tremendous source of
serious head injuries. Don't fall for it.

Pun intended?

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 7th 06, 03:47 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

HH wrote:
"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
snip
.
Only a savage and a barbarian like Frank K. would sink that low.

snip

I'm only guessing, but I'd bet Frank K. has never been called a savage and a
barbarian in rec.bicycles.misc. Not even in one of their stupid helmet
threads.

Tough crowd in the recumbent room.

See
http://highracers.blogspot.com/2005/12/save-recumbent-community-join-lamfra.html
for one person's opinion.

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 7th 06, 05:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"The Wogster" wrote in message
.. .
Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
[...]

I do not like any kind of caps. Hats are what is called for for grown men.
Caps are for kids. Men wearing caps look absurd. They look dorky and jerky.

But most men dress like slobs these days in every respect. Men who wear blue
jeans are especially hideous.The fatter and uglier we get, the worse we
dress. The only solution is the grave when the world will be rid of our
loathsome presence.

I refer you to the good old days of the 1930's and 1940's when men looked
like men with proper hats on their heads. Apparently those days are gone
forever and we are doomed to go into the future looking like very old kids
with beanies on our heads and blue jeans on our asses. It is really quite
laughable.

Old January 7th 06, 05:55 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc

"Mike Rice" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 16:42:36 -0600, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

[...]
By advocating that cyclists should not wear helmets they are in effect
committing murder by proxy.

Not true. By asking people to look a the data they are exposing the
truth about h*lmets...that they will not protect you in a major head
impact truama. 'Murder by proxy' sounds like you believe that a h*lmet
will save your life, when in fact any impact of sufficient force to
kill you will do so regardless of whether or not you remembered to don
your foil lined stryfoam hat.

I'm not advocated not wearing h*lmets, and I'm not advocating wearing
them either. I do think one should not expect protection from anything
more serious than minor scrapes & bruises. Proper riding skills are
much more effective at saving one's bacon than are the foam hats.

I have fallen down more on my recumbent than I ever did on my upright,
of course I have riden much more since making the change as well. Most
of my spills have been comical low speed events, and I have never come
close to hitting my head on anything.

My main point was that I do not want lay folks like you and me making
decisions based on our reading of the data and/or a statistic because we are
not qualified to know what to think. We are not expert in the field of
safety. My appeal is to authority. As in all walks of life, it is best to
leave most things in their hands.

It is very dangerous to think for yourself about most matters. It is far
better and safer to rely on the experts (in their field of expertise only)
to do our thinking for us. That way we will live longer and healthier.

If it is possible that you and Frank K. are right, then it will be up to you
to convince the powers that be that you are right. It may be that you could
become one of those powers yourself and then dictate to the rest of us what
we should think about the matter. But until that day arrives, I will go with
the status quo, thank you very much!

No Helmets Needed? NYC XYZ General 206 January 16th 06 01:08 PM
Bicycle helmets help prevent serious head injury among children, part one. John Doe UK 3 November 30th 04 03:46 PM
Does public health care pay for your head injuries? John Doe UK 187 November 30th 04 02:51 PM
Convincing people to use helmets Oliver Keating UK 391 February 25th 04 11:50 AM
Compulsory helmets again! Richard Burton UK 526 December 29th 03 08:19 PM