Tour of California Grassy Knoll Project

Old February 4th 06, 09:42 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

Default Tour of California Grassy Knoll Project

I'm working on retooling my site to accept uploads from race spectators
who wish to contribute their photos and movies (video) to a collective
gallery called the Tour of California Grassy Knoll Project. Each stage
will be organized as a storyboard with the best photos and clips being
rolled into a short nightly video. I'll be testing the setup with
pre-ride photos and video around February 10th if you'd like to share
your pre-ride.

Updated Tour of California race details and an explanation of the
Grassy Knoll Project:
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/tour-of-california/route/

Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

Old February 4th 06, 10:13 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

On Sat, 04 Feb 2006 01:42:41 -0800, steephill wrote:

I'm working on retooling my site to accept uploads from race spectators
who wish to contribute their photos and movies (video) to a collective
gallery called the Tour of California Grassy Knoll Project. Each stage
will be organized as a storyboard with the best photos and clips being
rolled into a short nightly video. I'll be testing the setup with
pre-ride photos and video around February 10th if you'd like to share
your pre-ride.

Updated Tour of California race details and an explanation of the
Grassy Knoll Project:
http://www.steephill.tv/2006/tour-of-california/route/

nice project man

keep us posted

--
Le Vent à Dos
Davey Crockett

Old February 7th 06, 01:56 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

"Are there any School Book Depositories near the route? "

That's the kind of humor I was hoping for. The people I know really
like the name Grassy Knoll Project, but I've had a few complaints about
it too. I think it's good name and hopefully over 40 years is long
enough. But, if I think it's going to hurt more than help convey the
modern metaphor then I may change it... reluctantly... to something
generic and bland like the "Tour of California Internet Project."

Anybody have an opinion either way?

Old February 7th 06, 03:42 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

steephill wrote:
"Are there any School Book Depositories near the route? "

That's the kind of humor I was hoping for. The people I know really
like the name Grassy Knoll Project, but I've had a few complaints about
it too. I think it's good name and hopefully over 40 years is long
enough. But, if I think it's going to hurt more than help convey the
modern metaphor then I may change it... reluctantly... to something
generic and bland like the "Tour of California Internet Project."

Anybody have an opinion either way?

Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

I must confess I do not get the humor or the modern metaphor, but I'm
also not offended. I would, on principle, not change the name. Tell the
naysayers to STFU and mind their own business.

Now I'll STFU and mind my own business.

Old February 7th 06, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

steephill wrote:
"Are there any School Book Depositories near the route? "

That's the kind of humor I was hoping for. The people I know really
like the name Grassy Knoll Project, but I've had a few complaints about
it too. I think it's good name and hopefully over 40 years is long
enough. But, if I think it's going to hurt more than help convey the
modern metaphor then I may change it... reluctantly... to something
generic and bland like the "Tour of California Internet Project."

Anybody have an opinion either way?

Steve
www.steephill.tv bike travelogue

It's okay. As has been recently discussed at length in rbr,
California school funding levels mean there are no fripperies
like extra school books, so there aren't any school book
depositories in which the nonexistent extra school books
would be stored.

But on a pop-culture level, I don't think "grassy knoll" signifies
"JFK assassination" so much as it signifies slightly unhealthy
conspiracy-derived obsession with the JFK assassination.
As such, it's already got an element of black humor to it.
If you had called it the Zapruder Film Project, that would have
been less funny and more psycho - unless of course your
name was actually Zapruder.

Old February 8th 06, 10:32 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

"I must confess I do not get the humor or the modern metaphor"

Here's how I replied to those how didn't understand my thinking:

snip...
Documentaries that have analyzed the Grassy Knoll Theory, ad nauseum,
used chronologically sequenced photos and home movies from spectators
along the parade route to reconstruct events around the scene of the
crime. The spectators unknowingly became the media that day.

Coverage of the Tour of California is tightly controlled by AEG (and
understandably $o). I'd like to see this project demonstrate how
effectively spectators can document a geographically dispersed event
like a 100 mile point to point bike race. Today with the current
popularity of blogging, photo sharing, and skepticism of the media, I
thought this "We are the media" idea would be appropriate. The use of
the term Grassy Knoll is a metaphor to the past and a phrase that
succinctly captures these ideas.

..snip

Nonetheless, I may change it to the "Grassy Hill Project" anyway...
more family friendly but the subtle connection is still there. It also
dovetails with my site name.

Old February 8th 06, 05:47 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

steephill wrote:

snip

Nonetheless, I may change it to the "Grassy Hill Project" anyway...
more family friendly but the subtle connection is still there. It also
dovetails with my site name.

Call it "The Cold Six Thousand Project." Hardly anybody will know that the
hell you are talking about, but those that do will remember it was "The
Grassy Knoll Project" and connect the dots.

--
Bill Asher
Old February 9th 06, 03:03 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

Put that blurb on the website somewhere (link it to the header title)
and leave it as is. I love it.. I'll have my camera when Im volunteering
at the Martinez 2nd stage start.