Major Update to "Adding Water Bottle Cages to Bicycles"

Old May 10th 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles
SMS

Default Major Update to "Adding Water Bottle Cages to Bicycles"

I've done a major update to "Adding Water Bottle Cages to Bicycles" at
"http://tinyurl.com/25sz6xl" (link via "Let Me Google That For You").
You can also get there by entering "add bottle cage" into Google Search
and clicking on "I'm Feeling Lucky"

A lot of new devices have come on the market as a result of the move to
compact frames and threadless headsets (because these moves have made
the more traditional ways of mounting more cages less practical). You're
not going to find many frames with three sets of braze-ons for cages
any more!

Especially clever is the new King Cage Threadless Headset cap mount
which I saw at Interbike last year. There are also more quick release
cages as a result of the increase in the popularity of folding bicycles
where traditional cages can interfere with folding. There have also been
many more handlebar mount cup holders, but those are mainly covered over
at "http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com". The helmet mount bottle cage is
another unique device--combining head protection with hydration is so
obvious that it's amazing that no one thought of it before.

The devices are categorized as follows:

-Handlebar or Frame Threaded Headset Stem Mount
-Threadless Headset Stem Mount
-Seat Rail Mount
-Seat Rail Mount with Integrated Cages
-Seat Post Mount Only
-Clamps for Handlebars Only
-Clamps for Frame, Seat Post, or Long Steer Tubes (on Folders)
-Frame or Seat Post or Handlebar or Threaded Stem Integrated Cages & Mount
-Frame or Seat Post Integrated Cages & Mount
-Handlebar Integrated Cages & Mount
-Handlebar Mount Cage Mount and Portable Electronics Holders
-Handlebar Mount Cup Holders (see "http://bicyclecoffeesystems.com")
-Helmet with Bottle Cage

If you know of any stuff I've missed, please let me know. This is an
informational site only; nothing is sold on that site. "Buy" links are
to sources for the product.
Old May 10th 10, 10:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On 10 mei, 22:32, SMS wrote:
I've done a major update to "Adding Water Bottle Cages to Bicycles" at
"http://tinyurl.com/25sz6xl" (link via "Let Me Google That For You").
You can also get there by entering "add bottle cage" into Google Search
and clicking on "I'm Feeling Lucky"

Thank god I don't live in the desert and/or ride bike in the middle of
f* nowhere and don't take 'hydrate or die' too seriously. When my
two bottles are empty I just stop and refill them at the nearest gas
station or nearest house. Works for 25 years now.

Lou
Old May 10th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,nyc.bicycles
SMS

On 10/05/10 2:24 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
On 10 mei, 22:32, wrote:

Thank god I don't live in the desert and/or ride bike in the middle of
f* nowhere and don't take 'hydrate or die' too seriously. When my
two bottles are empty I just stop and refill them at the nearest gas
station or nearest house. Works for 25 years now.

Many newer bicycles can't take two bottles without one of the devices
mentioned. Some bicycles have the braze-ons but the frame is such that
it's very difficult to insert or remove the bottle, especially on
"women's frames."

My old touring bicycle had three sets of braze-ons and all the bottles
could be tall ones. Now it seems like on every ride I have to remind my
wife to use one of the short bottles because the tall one won't work on
the kids' bikes, and they aren't small kids.

It's not just the desert either, it's riding in areas that have water
just not potable water. I.e. on a tour in Russia I had six bottles on
the tandem, three for each of us. We boiled water at night to fill the
bottles. To run out and buy bottled water all the time would have been a
pain, and expensive.