Mountain bike rider fined for speeding

Old April 18th 04, 08:37 AM
Harry Potty

Default Mountain bike rider fined for speeding

(Diesel Damo) wrote in
om:

It cost him $250 and 4 points off his drivers licence.

I wonder what would've happened if he didn't have a drivers license?
More dollars?

BTW, 1000 thanks for not crossposting this and starting a giant
spastic flame war =)

No worries.

Incase anyone in aus.bicycle hasn't seen, here's the original link...

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...E26462,00.html
Old April 18th 04, 10:53 PM
Philip

What about the point that his bike didn't have a speedo?

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
Harry Potty wrote:

(Diesel Damo) wrote in
om:

It cost him $250 and 4 points off his drivers licence.

No, just the fine. The 4 points were re-instated.

As a bicyclist, I have no problem with him being fined because obviously
it was at a time when school kids could have been crossing the road and
at 60kms/hr I doubt if he could have stopped swiftly.

Old April 18th 04, 11:33 PM
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 19 Apr 2004 07:53:25 +1000
Philip wrote:
What about the point that his bike didn't have a speedo?

I was surprised to find my motorcycle was not required to have a speedo
to be registered in NSW.

The rego people did point out that the police would expect me to keep to
the speed limit and it's a good idea to have something that makes that
easier....

Zebee
- who has a big tacho and a Sigma bicycle speedo on that bike. The
speedo works, the tacho doesn't.
Old April 19th 04, 01:48 AM
Terry Collins

Philip wrote:

What about the point that his bike didn't have a speedo?

His problem.

Being booked for doing say ~45 would have been tough.

He must have known that he was exceeding the speed limit. 40kms/hr is a
good buzz. 60Kms/hr is entering "oh ****" territory - depending on
bicycle.

But the important point was that he was acting like a total FW around
other people. A sensible person would have realised at that speed that
they were a danger to others. Being a danger to yourself is one thing.
Endangering others is acceptable to me.

He was in his 30's, it was past a school, the lollipop lady was out.
This guy should had had more sense. Obviously not a breeder don
asbestos because if he was and had any sense he would have realised
that mothers in 4WD congregate around schools. It has to be the most
dangerous place on the road for a bicyclist.
Old April 19th 04, 08:47 AM
NickZX6R

Terry Collins wrote:
Philip wrote:

What about the point that his bike didn't have a speedo?

His problem.

Being booked for doing say ~45 would have been tough.

He must have known that he was exceeding the speed limit. 40kms/hr is a
good buzz. 60Kms/hr is entering "oh ****" territory - depending on
bicycle.

snip

Must be your bike Terry

I regularly get to 60km/h and I've managed up to 78 on a few
occasions and it surprises me how stable and comfy it is.

Cheers.
--
Nick
Old April 19th 04, 09:45 AM
FuTAnT

John Doe wrote:
"Terry Collins" wrote in message

Harry Potty wrote:

(Diesel Damo) wrote in
e.com:

It cost him $250 and 4 points off his drivers licence.

No, just the fine. The 4 points were re-instated.

As a bicyclist, I have no problem with him being fined because obviously
it was at a time when school kids could have been crossing the road and
at 60kms/hr I doubt if he could have stopped swiftly.

Of course... A bicycle hitting a small child at 65km/hr especially when
handle bars maybe at head height would easily kill or seriously injure. A
physicst should know all about energy transferrence. Stopping a bike at
65km/hr can take a fair few metres. Sometimes pedestrians do not realise
this either. I have had people walk straight onto a crossing thinking that
I can stop in 2metres from the crossing from 40-50km/hr. Just wont happen.

Perhaps people should be more aware of their surrounding then. Nothing
like taking a little bit of responsibility for your own actions.

Cam

Old April 19th 04, 11:53 PM
Terry Collins

NickZX6R wrote: