Handlebar Bags

Old May 10th 05, 08:47 PM
Tom

Default Handlebar Bags

I just finished putting together a touring bike.

I started with a circa 1991 Atala Cyclocross bike, retained a 7 speed
setup since I had a great set of Campy rims on a DuraAce freewheel
hubset and used bar end shifters.

I have a 24/42/52 cranks and a 14-32 freewheel.

I put a Blackburn rear rack on it since my tours will be relatively
short and of the credit card variety. So the pannier will only carry
clothes and such.

However, I really do like a good handlebar bag on a touring bike.

The way that these bags used to mount was with this rather complex
somewhat 'U' shaped heavy steel wire device that threaded around the
stem and took up almost zero bar space (which was really at a premium
then since wide bars were only 38 cm wide).

Now there are these really STUPID plastic mounts which clamp onto the
bar and use up all the space that would otherwide be used to mount your
headlight and odometer.

They also generally mount the handlebar bag above teh bar instead of
having the map case level with the top of the bars which would allow a
headlight to still be effective.

Is there any manufacturer out there who still has a single person on
their staff who actually rides bikes and can critque these silly
designs they're pawning off on a generally clueless society?

Old May 10th 05, 09:02 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Tom" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Try this:
http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/baggage_racks/20083.html
-tom

Old May 10th 05, 09:07 PM
DD

Tom wrote:

However, I really do like a good handlebar bag on a touring bike.

The way that these bags used to mount was with this rather complex
somewhat 'U' shaped heavy steel wire device that threaded around the
stem and took up almost zero bar space (which was really at a premium
then since wide bars were only 38 cm wide).

Try http://www.wildequipment.com.au/bicy...r_superhb.html and email
them as to availability. My old handlebar bags is 25 years old and still
going. I don't know of who else these days, as you say...

Now there are these really STUPID plastic mounts which clamp onto the
bar and use up all the space that would otherwide be used to mount your
headlight and odometer.

They also generally mount the handlebar bag above teh bar instead of
having the map case level with the top of the bars which would allow a
headlight to still be effective.

Is there any manufacturer out there who still has a single person on
their staff who actually rides bikes and can critque these silly
designs they're pawning off on a generally clueless society?

Even WE have gone offshore for manufacturing and completely away from
the customised bags and service that they could provide in their
original factory. Although the guy who started it still has a hand in
things.
This is the way of the world now, a global market brings change.

Dave Doust. AU.
Old May 10th 05, 09:34 PM
Brian Huntley

Tom wrote:
[snip]
The way that these bags used to mount was with this rather complex
somewhat 'U' shaped heavy steel wire device that threaded around the
stem and took up almost zero bar space (which was really at a premium
then since wide bars were only 38 cm wide).

Now there are these really STUPID plastic mounts which clamp onto the
bar and use up all the space that would otherwide be used to mount

your
headlight and odometer.

They also generally mount the handlebar bag above teh bar instead of
having the map case level with the top of the bars which would allow

headlight to still be effective.

I made one in the 'old style' last year. The support is just a 1m long
4mm or so steel rod from the hardware store, bend into the right shape
and painted. The bag is a soft-sided insulated lunch box (about
25x15x20cm) with the strap cut off and two sleeves for the support rod
fashioned out of the stubs of the strap, bent back and pop-rivetted. I
also attached two elastic straps across the top, which hold a zip-lock
bag full of maps into place quite nicely. A bit of vecro strapping
connects the bag to the stem, but is really not needed.

The only tricky part was the bending of the rod. I used a bit of iron
pipe as a form to get nice radiused corners and just cold set it. I
prototyped the shape with a coat hanger first.

The bag is nice and waterproof, and has a small pocket that faces the
rider. The rod is a little tricky to thread through the cables, etc,
but you can bend it out of shape and back into it quite easily. I
imagine a product safety lawyer would have a coniption if he saw the
rods stickingout in front, but with the bag in place they're not too
noticable.

Old May 10th 05, 10:37 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Now there are these really STUPID plastic mounts which clamp onto the
bar and use up all the space that would otherwide be used to mount your
headlight and odometer.

They also generally mount the handlebar bag above teh bar instead of
having the map case level with the top of the bars which would allow a
headlight to still be effective.

Can't do much about the headlight, but for some of their bags, Topeak
supplies a little extender thingee with their bag bracket, which allows you
to mount a computer (or two) above the area that is taken up by the clamp.
Works nicely.

The headlight part is tougher though. On a smaller frame size, there isn't
enough real estate for a low bag and headlight. And if you're using STI
(yeah, I know, no self-respecting tourist would ever use STI), you need a
higher handlebar bag so the bag isn't mashing the gear cables.

The way that these bags used to mount was with this rather complex
somewhat 'U' shaped heavy steel wire device that threaded around the
stem and took up almost zero bar space (which was really at a premium
then since wide bars were only 38 cm wide).

Most people would consider the newer designs an improvement over a "complex
somewhat 'U' shaped heavy steel wire device." They certainly rattle less,
and I recall still having difficulty figuring out a way to use both a light
and handlebar bag, even back in the day. Actually it wasn't that tough, now
that I think about it- I mounted the light off a bracket attached to the
front brake. Works great for larger frames, but you still might run into
real estate issues on a smaller bike.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

oups.com...

Old May 11th 05, 12:28 AM

Tom wrote:

However, I really do like a good handlebar bag on a touring bike.

Cannondale. Been the best for many, many years.

The way that these bags used to mount was with this rather complex
somewhat 'U' shaped heavy steel wire device that threaded around the
stem and took up almost zero bar space (which was really at a premium
then since wide bars were only 38 cm wide).

Never used one of those goofy things. Bungee cords to the front hub.
How did you use front panniers? Odd mounting method in the "good" old
days.

Now there are these really STUPID plastic mounts which clamp onto the
bar and use up all the space that would otherwide be used to mount

your
headlight and odometer.

Somehow my Cannondale mount allows sufficient room to put a computer on
the handlebars. And a light on the other side if I chose to. What
kind of bars do you use? Consider getting some decent bars instead of
an old time handlebar bag.

Is there any manufacturer out there who still has a single person on
their staff who actually rides bikes and can critque these silly
designs they're pawning off on a generally clueless society?

Cannondale started in the bike bag business many, many years ago. They
knew what they were doing in that line of business and made/make a
superior handlebar bag. Its not cheap. $60 last time I looked. If
the old time bags were superior, they would still be made and sold.
Anybody can have anything cheaply made in Asia now days. If there was
a market for outdated bags, someone would fill it. I guess there is a
tiny market because Caradice and Rivendell, etc. make extremely
expensive handlebar bags using the out dated mounting methods. But
some people are willing to pay what it takes for a certain look.

Old May 11th 05, 03:36 PM
Andy M-S

I have an old Blackburn (I think) bag with a bent-wire support that
very cleverly eliminates bungees to the fork ends. Instead, the
bracket is bungeed between the bottom cup of the headset and the
downtube. Works great.

I think the real reason we see so many plastic clamps taking up so much
space (and why the bags are set so high) is that they're all variations
on "quick release" system. It's hard to make one cheaply that will
hold up if it's at the lip of the bag, so...it gets mounted mid-bag,
where the stree is (theoretically) lower. QR systems offer a
convenience that seems good, but that not everyone (or perhaps even
most of us) need.

Too bad...I really liked the older bags, and these days, pretty much
the only source is eBay.

Old May 11th 05, 04:10 PM

Tom wrote:
[...]

I'm retro-grouchy enough that on two bikes, I'm still using the ancient
steel handlebar bag mounts you describe. (Well, one's homemade
aluminum.) I don't get your complaints about the new stuff, though.
IMO, the Cannondale plastic mount is far superior. It's more stable,
doesn't take up _that_ much bar space, and is less damaging to the
bars. (I've had to replace handlebars that were chewed up by the steel
bag support, after a very long tour.)

Regarding the headlight: If I were you, I'd look at other mounting
options. The best place for a headlight is about 25" - 30" off the
ground. I've mounted headlights underneath handlebar bags, and it
works great. Alternately, I've mounted them off the left side of the
front "hooks" on my drop bars, and I've also made a homemade headlight
that I put on a vertical stalk (about 3" high) to clear a high
handlebar bag.

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 11th 05, 04:45 PM
Sheldon Brown

Tom wrote:

... I really do like a good handlebar bag on a touring bike.

The way that these bags used to mount was with this rather complex
somewhat 'U' shaped heavy steel wire device that threaded around the
stem and took up almost zero bar space (which was really at a premium
then since wide bars were only 38 cm wide).

I have always preferred this style myself. Among other things I'm a
photographer, and this type of bag is the best way I know of to carry a
full-sized camera on a bike. Any handlebar bag will make the camera
quickly accessible, but those springy steel supports also provide
excellent "suspension" to protec the camera from road shock/vibration.

Frank Krygowsky wrote:

I'm retro-grouchy enough that on two bikes, I'm still using the ancient
steel handlebar bag mounts you describe. (Well, one's homemade
aluminum.) I don't get your complaints about the new stuff, though.
IMO, the Cannondale plastic mount is far superior. It's more stable,
doesn't take up _that_ much bar space,

For me, they're less desirable because they are harder to move from one
bike to another, but then I have more bikes than any reasonable person
would...

and is less damaging to the
bars. (I've had to replace handlebars that were chewed up by the steel
bag support, after a very long tour.)

That is a legitimate issue.

Regarding the headlight: If I were you, I'd look at other mounting
options. The best place for a headlight is about 25" - 30" off the
ground. I've mounted headlights underneath handlebar bags, and it
works great.

Even without a handlebar bag, mounting a headlight on the handlebars is
a problem for those of us who rely on rain capes for wet weather protection.

Alternately, I've mounted them off the left side of the
front "hooks" on my drop bars,

Yes, this is a good position, but not too many lights have a
sufficiently versatile clamp to allow them to be aimed properly from
this position.

and I've also made a homemade headlight
that I put on a vertical stalk (about 3" high) to clear a high
handlebar bag.

I really prefer a lower light position, because it casts road
irregularities into sharper relief.

I'm very proud of my own simple home-made axle-mounted system. See:

http://sheldonbrown.org/raleigh-comp...front-qtr.html

(I plan to put a better photo of this up shortly...)

Sheldon "Insert Nickname Here" Brown
| We are not afraid to entrust the American people with |
| unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies and |
| competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let |
| its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open |
| market is a nation that is afraid of its people. |
| John F. Kennedy |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old May 11th 05, 05:54 PM
Tom Nakashima

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message
and I've also made a homemade headlight
that I put on a vertical stalk (about 3" high) to clear a high
handlebar bag.

I really prefer a lower light position, because it casts road
irregularities into sharper relief.

I'm very proud of my own simple home-made axle-mounted system. See:

http://sheldonbrown.org/raleigh-comp...front-qtr.html

(I plan to put a better photo of this up shortly...)

Nice, but I dont' see the mounts to the handlebar bag, or is that the
handlebar bag on the rear??
-tom

Looking For A Combination Handlebar, Need Help for Hybrid [email protected] General 6 March 3rd 05 11:48 AM
Flashlight Handlebar Mount NLee1875 Techniques 2 October 3rd 04 11:00 AM
Handlebar extension Mark UK 18 July 15th 04 02:40 PM
Flashlight Handlebar Brackets NLee1875 Techniques 1 May 10th 04 06:05 AM
Handlebar Bag Recommendation Please Richard Bates UK 14 January 24th 04 09:37 PM