"... I forgot to put batteries in my dynamo."

Old November 12th 13, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default "... I forgot to put batteries in my dynamo."

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 6:38:28 PM UTC-8, Dan wrote:
Clive George writes:

On 10/11/2013 03:30, Phil W Lee wrote:

Frank Krygowski considered Sat, 9 Nov 2013

09:18:48 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

http://tinyurl.com/cambridge-lights

- Frank Krygowski

All courtesy of the tory blight, which has been inflicted on

Cambridgeshire, (elected by a single figure percentage of voters) and

refuses to take road safety seriously enough to do anything about

dangerous driving, speed limit enforcement, careless driving,

infringement of cycle lanes by motor vehicles, or threatening

behaviour (as long as it's done with or from a motor vehicle). And

note that the car that was stopped without lights only received "words

of advice", despite clearly posing a far greater hazard to the general

public. Clear double standard (if you can find any standard at all -

I doubt if Sir Graham Dim could even spell it).

I don't really mind them having the occasional blitz on unlit cyclists

-

it's not a continuous thing, it's a few hours, it gets headlines, and

encourages people to get lights. Note the timing - after the clocks

change, which is when people need reminding.

The fines aren't even fines unless you fail to demonstrate you've gone

and got some lights. That's positive policing, not being miserable

facists.

I don't know. What got me about the article was how there

were too many unlit bikes going by for the blitz squad to

even make much of a dent. And the cops attitude? "Like

shooting fish in a barrel." Does no one think they're

treating people (hoardes of people apparently going about

their business without a problem) people who may have room

for improvement for their own safety being treated as if they

were a menace to society?

"Load up the fish guns and gather 'round the barrel, boys!"

Well, you can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or give him a gun and a barrel of fish . . .

Anyway, because of this: http://vimeo.com/25717583# We got this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5RdFFlFz9g

I mean you can at least fake following the law -- slow a little, act like you didn't see the sign . . . claim not to understand English. Damn. They even pulled over the girl with the milk crate rack basket! Man, this is a bad day for the Bohemians.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 12th 13, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, November 11, 2013 9:00:41 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:52:45 -0500, Wes Groleau

How about some FREE educational material? Just yell, every time you
pass him, "When are you going to stop being an IDIOT and get a light?"

and, of course, "he" is rolling along there feeling very satisfied
with himself.. sort of an American Ninja sneaking about and "nobody
can see me" :-).

.... and while doing it, he's thinking "I'm an unusually perceptive guy, and I'm learning all the time, and I've thought about the risks and considered the law, but due to my knowledge and skill I feel I'm fine with ignoring the law and doing whatever the ***k I decide to do."

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 12th 13, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Phillipinos could use a box of generators on wheels.
Old November 12th 13, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wes Groleau

On 11-11-2013, 21:12, Jay Beattie wrote:
Anyway, because of this:http://vimeo.com/25717583#

Hey, what do you want? One of them slowed down.

Was that you, Dan? Is the answer to your question,
"Because there's a lady crossing the street in front of you." ?

How about the guy at 1:47 ? He must have seen the camera.

--
Wes Groleau

Armchair Activism: http://www.breakthechain.org/armchair.html

Old November 12th 13, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, November 11, 2013 9:12:30 PM UTC-5, Jay Beattie wrote:

Anyway, because of this: http://vimeo.com/25717583# We got this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5RdFFlFz9g

I mean you can at least fake following the law -- slow a little, act like you didn't see the sign . . . claim not to understand English. ...

Yes, at least put on a show. There are lots of times I do a sort of "mini-stop" or perhaps "close to a stop" for the theater effect. I may be still rolling, but I slow enough that my motion may not be obvious; then suddenly standing and pedaling off in a slightly high gear seems to look enough like respecting the spirit of the law. At least, I've never had anyone yell at me, including the time I purposely did it while being directly in front of a cop car.

But I agree with the people who say those should be yield signs. Having seen hundreds of roundabouts in France last year, I think any Frenchman at that location would say "Les Américains sont fous" or something like that.

- Frank Krygowski
Old November 12th 13, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

Clive George writes:

[...]

Shouldn't that be a give way rather than stop? That's the way
roundabouts are supposed to work, and why they're a good junction design.

Old November 12th 13, 12:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:45:30 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Monday, November 11, 2013 9:00:41 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:52:45 -0500, Wes Groleau

How about some FREE educational material? Just yell, every time you
pass him, "When are you going to stop being an IDIOT and get a light?"

and, of course, "he" is rolling along there feeling very satisfied
with himself.. sort of an American Ninja sneaking about and "nobody
can see me" :-).

... and while doing it, he's thinking "I'm an unusually perceptive guy, and I'm learning all the time, and I've thought about the risks and considered the law, but due to my knowledge and skill I feel I'm fine with ignoring the law and doing whatever the ***k I decide to do."

- Frank Krygowski

Naw, he is just swooping back and forth and feeling great. Not
thinking even a little bit. Which is why he hasn't yet figured out
that while he is being invisible.... the cars can't see him.

(so when the truck driver says "I never saw him." He'll be telling the
truth :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
Old November 12th 13, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Monday, November 11, 2013 4:16:34 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:52:45 PM UTC-5, Wes Groleau wrote:

How about some FREE educational material? Just yell, every time you
pass him, "When are you going to stop being an IDIOT and get a light?"

Even that's controversial, it seems. I know people who claim one should never say anything to another road user, and never honk one's horn when driving. :-/

For wrong-way riders, I usually say something like "You're on the wrong side of the road." I've gotten reactions ranging from "I'm sorry, I know I should be on the other side" to rude yells in return. One crazy guy turned around and rode after me, yelling about fighting me. No telling what chemicals were in his system.

But I continue to try.

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 10:10:39 PM UTC-5, Dan wrote:
I came upon a bicyclist with no lights coming at me head on one
dark morning. That was like "expletive deleted!" But we passed
each other okay without incident.

(The quotation marks means he actually got the audible.)
Old November 12th 13, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Monday, November 11, 2013 6:45:30 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, November 11, 2013 9:00:41 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 18:52:45 -0500, Wes Groleau

How about some FREE educational material? Just yell, every time you
pass him, "When are you going to stop being an IDIOT and get a light?"

and, of course, "he" is rolling along there feeling very satisfied
with himself.. sort of an American Ninja sneaking about and "nobody
can see me" :-).

... and while doing it, he's thinking "I'm an unusually perceptive guy, and I'm learning all the time, and I've thought about the risks and considered the law, but due to my knowledge and skill I feel I'm fine with ignoring the law and doing whatever the ***k I decide to do."

Can you just be a little more transparent, Frank? I can't tell who
*exactly* you're referring to ;-)

Recall, in the incident that spawned this particular exchange, I was
the guy on the right side of the road with a headlight.

Got that?
Old November 12th 13, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Monday, November 11, 2013 7:01:30 PM UTC-8, Wes Groleau wrote:
On 11-11-2013, 21:12, Jay Beattie wrote:

Anyway, because of this:http://vimeo.com/25717583#

Hey, what do you want? One of them slowed down.

I think the video well illustrates the stupidity of stopping
just because of a sign.

Was that you, Dan?

No, but I have a very similar looking situation on one of my
routes, which I blast as hard as the most blatant three or four
scofflaws in that video, except that mine has *two* stop signs
in quick succession through the 'S' turn, and few if any other
bicyclists.

The school crossing guard smiled and waved pleasantly as I came
through there one morning.

Is the answer to your question,
"Because there's a lady crossing the street in front of you." ?

Yes! That's a great reason! And I absolutely would have stopped
for her (well, if that's what it took to make clear my intention
to yield).

How about the guy at 1:47 ? He must have seen the camera.

Or just being cute for the other people there. I liked his parody
of, "stop and look both ways".