Chain waxing

Old June 12th 18, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Chain waxing

On Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 3:12:13 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 2018-06-11 19:24, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Unlike you, my braking is not a constant series of "last
second"
emergencies. On that ride, as on all others, I planned
ahead and slowed
sufficiently with ease. I probably came to a complete
stop only a few
times during that ride home.

The main concern here is loose dogs running into your
path, from ranches
and other properties. Sometimes from behind bushes. Then
there are wild
animals, some of which would easily win first prize for
utmost
stupidity. They look you in the eyes _while_ running
straight into your
path. How do you plan ahead for that? Who is your crystal
ball manufacturer?

My first seven years of avid adult cycling were in a small
town and the
surrounding countryside in the U.S. deep south. That's a
place where loose dogs
abounded and had as many rights as people; just ask their
owners.

It was abnormal to do a bike ride and not be chased by at
least one dog. On
many rides we were chased as often as once per mile. We
were chased by packs
of as many as 12 dogs. And for extra spice, there were
times we defended
ourselves from attacking dogs (perhaps by using Halt or
throwing rocks) and
owners yelled at us "You leave my dog alone!"

I know all about dogs chasing bikes. Yet I never recall a
panic stop
necessitated by a dog. That's more Joergian fantasy.

My wife collided with a dog that suddenly changed direction
and ran in front of her on a shared path. She went over the
bars.

Last week when I left home early in the morning, I had one
wallaby cross the road right in front of me while its mate
bounded along the road beside me before turning away, and
then another took fright at me passing and (thankfully)
darted away rather than across the road in front of me - as
they are prone to do.

My brother was with a bunch where a wallaby tried to go
under another rider's bicycle. That didn't end well. A
kangaroo was videoed recently bounding into a cyclist on a
road near Brisbane, IIRC. A local fellow was taken off his
motorcycle recently, by a wallaby that collided with his
bike on a corner within 100m of our house.

I'm not saying it happens often. Rare actually. But it
does happen.

I've hit the brakes a few times recently in fear of a
wallaby trying to escape in front of me. I take it as a
part of the environment in which I live.

Your environment is obviously different.

Although 'bravely fought to second place with a mountain
lion' would be a great tombstone, lesser critters wreak
their revenge on humans from time to time:

http://www.wkow.com/story/38124676/2...in-dane-county

Having (presumably) disc brakes on the motorcycle didn't help in avoiding the turkey.

Braking power is rarely the problem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZrxyijba50

BTW, here is a super-dangerous Cameron Park killer turkey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIuFsUj4Tew

Joerg doesn't need powerful brakes, he needs ninja fighting skills -- or maybe one of those pocket shotguns. https://heizerdefense.com/2015/05/20/ps1/ Load up some .410 rounds with rock salt for the dogs, snakes, motorcyclists, etc., etc. He can keep it in his shorts pocket or somewhere in the panniers, near the CPR mask and the IV stand.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old June 12th 18, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-06-11 19:24, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

and ran in front of her on a shared path.Â* She went over the
bars.

Last week when I left home early in the morning, I had one
wallaby cross the road right in front of me while its mate
bounded along the road beside me before turning away, and
then another took fright at me passing and (thankfully)
darted away rather than across the road in front of me - as
they are prone to do.

My brother was with a bunch where a wallaby tried to go
under another rider's bicycle.Â* That didn't end well.Â* A
kangaroo was videoed recently bounding into a cyclist on a
road near Brisbane, IIRC.Â* A local fellow was taken off his
motorcycle recently, by a wallaby that collided with his
bike on a corner within 100m of our house.

I'm not saying it happens often.Â* Rare actually.Â* But it
does happen.

I've hit the brakes a few times recently in fear of a
wallaby trying to escape in front of me.Â* I take it as a
part of the environment in which I live.

Your environment is obviously different.

Although 'bravely fought to second place with a mountain lion' would be
a great tombstone, lesser critters wreak their revenge on humans from
time to time:

http://www.wkow.com/story/38124676/2...in-dane-county

Yesterday a visiting friend told me about a rider on some charity ride
who crashed because a Canada Goose flew into him. Nothing serious,
apparently.

How rare does an event have to be to prevent Worst Case Scenario
stories? Very, very rare, apparently.

Be afraid! Be very afraid!!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 12th 18, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2018-06-11 19:24, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

rider's bicycle.Â* That didn't end well.Â* A kangaroo was videoed recently
bounding into a cyclist on a road near Brisbane, IIRC.Â* A local fellow
was taken off his motorcycle recently, by a wallaby that collided with
his bike on a corner within 100m of our house.

I'm not saying it happens often.Â* Rare actually.Â* But it does happen.

I've hit the brakes a few times recently in fear of a wallaby trying to
escape in front of me.Â* I take it as a part of the environment in which
I live.

Your environment is obviously different.

Oh, and here's part of the problem, probably mentioned befo

Humans are evolved to live in small tribes or villages. Our evolution
has probably not really caught up with the idea of a large city, let
alone global communication.

In those small tribes or villages, if a person heard that someone's baby
was taken by a leopard, it meant that one's own baby was at risk. That
leopard tale would generate very appropriate fears and defensive
strategies.

But now we have true global communication; and people emotional
evolution isn't up to it. We hear about someone on literally the
opposite end of the earth having wallaby problems while bicycling, and
many people seem to say "Damn! I'd better get better brakes on my bike!
No telling where those wallabies will pop out next!"

Some skeptics look instead at the data on bike crash causes and say "I
might hit a dog once every million miles; less often if I watch out for
them. I think I'll just watch out for them."

But math is hard.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 13th 18, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-06-11 19:24, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

It is indeed.
Then again, dingos really did eat her baby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_...ia_Chamberlain

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 13th 18, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 13/06/18 08:53, Frank Krygowski wrote:

But now we have true global communication; and people emotional
evolution isn't up to it. We hear about someone on literally the
opposite end of the earth having wallaby problems while bicycling, and
many people seem to say "Damn! I'd better get better brakes on my bike!
No telling where those wallabies will pop out next!"

Strange. I don't recall hearing "many people" say that. Not even
seeming to say it. Are the voices you hear in your head, by chance?

Some skeptics look instead at the data on bike crash causes and say "I
might hit a dog once every million miles; less often if I watch out for
them. I think I'll just watch out for them."

But math is hard.

I ran over a wallaby's tail while descending a small mountain some years
back, and now that I live where there are a lot of wallabies and
kangaroos, I certainly do watch out for them. I most certainly haven't
thought about getting better brakes, just as I haven't heard "many"
others say anything like that.

Perhaps I'm not hearing the same voices in my head as you, Frank.

--
JS
Old June 13th 18, 04:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/12/2018 8:56 PM, James wrote:
On 13/06/18 08:53, Frank Krygowski wrote:

But now we have true global communication; and people emotional
evolution isn't up to it. We hear about someone on literally the
opposite end of the earth having wallaby problems while bicycling, and
many people seem to say "Damn! I'd better get better brakes on my
bike! No telling where those wallabies will pop out next!"

Strange. I don't recall hearing "many people" say that.Â* Not even
seeming to say it.Â* Are the voices you hear in your head, by chance?

Some skeptics look instead at the data on bike crash causes and say "I
might hit a dog once every million miles; less often if I watch out
for them. I think I'll just watch out for them."

But math is hard.

I ran over a wallaby's tail while descending a small mountain some years
back, and now that I live where there are a lot of wallabies and
kangaroos, I certainly do watch out for them.Â* I most certainly haven't
thought about getting better brakes, just as I haven't heard "many"
others say anything like that.

Perhaps I'm not hearing the same voices in my head as you, Frank.

Perhaps you don't understand the literary use of hyperbole, James.

Did you somehow not notice Joerg's constant warnings about death by dog,
by poison oak, by cougar, by pothole, etc. for those foolish enough to
use ordinary brakes?

Nobody here has doubted that "watching out" for hazards is a good idea.
It's what I do. But if you're using ordinary cycling components, you're
violating Joerg's fundamental rules.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 13th 18, 09:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 13/06/18 13:50, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've noticed _one_ person (Joerg) who also recommends fixing chains
with a rusty nail and a rock, and filing hardened chain pins, etc.

I don't take anything he says seriously, and his posts are so prevalent
and full of effluent, I don't bother reading most of them.

Perhaps I should filter him out of my feed, as I've done for other twits.

--
JS
Old June 13th 18, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 12/06/2018 8:56 PM, James wrote:
[...]

I had an aligator cross highway 11 in front of me outside of New Orleans
once. He was a baby though, only 4 or 5 feet and seemed more concerned
with getting out of the sun than bothering me. I don't watch out for
them very much, especially as there aren't many in Quebec.

I did hit a cat a couple of years ago. Now if I see a cat on the side
of the road trying to cross I would probably stop and let it go rather
than assuming it would not jump into my wheel.

I'm not sure what this has to do with data tracking or chain waxing or
whatever. WRT brakes, I've heard people discuss the benefits of disc
brakes in wet but never as a solution to avoiding animals. Well except
the one that you already noted...
Old June 13th 18, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/13/2018 10:59 AM, Duane wrote:
[...]

once.Â* He was a baby though, only 4 or 5 feet and seemed more concerned
with getting out of the sun than bothering me.Â* I don't watch out for
them very much, especially as there aren't many in Quebec.

Maybe three years ago, my wife and I biked around some of Okefenokee
National Wildlife Refuge. We rode right by alligators dozing at the
roadside. My wife was nervous to even be in a boat near alligators, so I
was amazed she consented to ride near them.

But it was cool weather and they were about as lively as logs. No
emergency braking (nor sprinting) was necessary.

I'm not sure what this has to do with data tracking or chain waxing or
whatever.

Topic drift happens. Get used to it.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 13th 18, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 7:59:54 AM UTC-7, duane wrote:
[...]

Discs do double-duty here in the PNW -- avoiding wet animals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFZbciPzAYk

Speaking of discs -- caution, technical comment: I emoted earlier about my son riding the Norco Search (my gravel bike) and getting horrendous chain suck that basically ate up part of the BB, chainstay and downtube. So, in a fit of money-wasting, I took it over to Ruckus for some carbon repair. Not cheap, but the paint matching was incredibly good, in fact, invisible. Its not a show bike, and I really didn't need to match, but since I was descending into the money-pit of repair, what the heck. Keep the economy strong. The CF repair added some bulk, but you would have to do a side-by-side with an original frame to notice. Ruckus does amazing work.

Anyway, after blowing an inordinate amount of time re-running the internal hoses and cables (note to those watching at home -- on the Search, unlike a Roubaix or other bike with a BB "compartment," run the cables and hoses BEFORE putting in the PF bottom bracket), I got the bike up and running, and the rear disc was really weak. The lever felt fine, but the bike didn't stop with rear braking alone.

I had re-terminated the rear disc hose because I had to cut it to get it out of the frame (new olive and barb -- again, warning -- Shimano has a couple of olive and barb standards) and juiced it up with new massage oil; I got all the air out of the system, and the pistons seemed to be working well, but stopping was crappy. So, I put some brake cleaner on the rotor, but that didn't make much difference. Then I replaced the pad, which was not worn out but badly glazed or polluted in some way. The replacement works great, and I'll clean-up the old pad for a spare, but the moral of the story is that discs are not magic. They can foul and work poorly. My front brake on the Norco drags after hard braking even though I've cleaned (alcohol) and lightly lubed (a little TriFlow) the pistons.

In perfect working order, the dry-weather braking is on par with a dual pivot and maybe a little more powerful in the rear, which means no ham-handed right lever braking because you'll fish-tail, but switching between those brakes and my Emonda direct mount brakes, the difference is negligible -- although the rim brakes do add shudder if the wheel has a bad seam or is out of true. Discs add screaming and can add shuddering. The rim brakes never drag, ping or do any of the other weird and episodic disc things. On a mostly dry weather racing bike, I see no reason for discs -- except for long descents on CF wheels, which may be reason enough to have them, although there has been no hue and cry from the Euro pros.

Final note, one thing that drove me crazy about the Norco was the internal cable rattle. The rear derailleur cable runs through housing from the lever to the derailleur, and when I reinstalled it, I put a foam sleeve around it. It's now quiet. Don't know why that wasn't OE. Running internal cables adds an hour to building a bike, at least for me. I don't have one of those fish tools and have to get creative (often with my language).

-- Jay Beattie

Frame waxing thirty-six Techniques 3 June 30th 11 01:34 PM
Proper chain waxing techs Dave Techniques 7 September 13th 06 05:18 AM
Chain Waxing Followup HarryB Techniques 15 April 11th 06 02:35 AM
Chain waxing + graphite question HarryB Techniques 410 March 16th 06 02:57 AM
New chain waxing technique Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 9 February 2nd 06 06:04 AM