Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

Old May 20th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

Default Helmet Poll: First Hand Experience

Simon Brooke wrote:

To be precise: a cyclist on a bicycle has a right in law to use any road
with a very few specific exceptions (notably motorways).

I noticed that the new Baldock Bypass is closed to cyclists and I was
wondering under what legislation that was done and whether there is a
danger of it being extendible to other roads.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old May 20th 06, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Are you saying, then, that the UK anti-helmet nutjobs

Why are you calling them "nutjobs"?

Old May 20th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

jtaylor wrote:
"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message
oups.com...

Are you saying, then, that the UK anti-helmet nutjobs

Why are you calling them "nutjobs"?

I call 'em as I see 'em. And, believe me, I'm not the only one who
thinks the UK AHZs are outright *obsessed* with the subject.

Old May 20th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

jtaylor wrote:
"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in

message
oups.com...

Are you saying, then, that the UK anti-helmet nutjobs

Why are you calling them "nutjobs"?

I call 'em as I see 'em. And, believe me, I'm not the only one who
thinks the UK AHZs are outright *obsessed* with the subject.

And what if your vision is wrong? After all, you seem to be both

a) frugal in your willingness to use the results of the studies that people
here have suggested you read; and

b) generous in your use of insult and character assassination as dialectical
methods.

Such a person is unlikely to have unclouded vision.

As for being "obsessed" -

a) would you yourself not be concerned if your legislative authorities had
several times attempted to pass laws that you knew

i. were based on bad science;
ii. would increase rather than decrese both the risk to yourself and the
cost of health care of the population;
ii. resulted from promotions by people who were happy to ingore data when it
disagreed with their "common sense";

b) why would such concern be a reason for calling people "nutjobs"?

Old May 20th 06, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Tony W
') wrote:

"Marian" wrote in message
oups.com...

Cause the cops are less likely to complain about me riding on the car
road

What is your definition of a 'car road'? In Britain only motorways
(and a very few other bits of road) are not available to cyclists.
Tell plod to read the Highway Code.

To be precise: a cyclist on a bicycle has a right in law to use any road
with a very few specific exceptions (notably motorways). A motorist in a
motor vehicle does not have any right to use any road, ever, but is
permitted to do so under licence so long as (s)he abides by the terms of
that licence.

Marian lives in China
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/journ...oc_id=1232&v=f

Old May 20th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

jtaylor wrote:
[...]

It's not so much what the AHZs are saying (although quite a bit of it
is questionable), as it is the endless, relentless, monotonic droning.
For heaven's sake, everyone understands the AHZs position. They are
just trying to wear people down by chanting the same thing over and
over and over. Give it a rest. IMO, alot of it seems like obsessive
behavior. And, if the same behavior came from the pro-helmet side, you
would agree that the behavior was obsessive.

Old May 20th 06, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

On 20 May 2006 11:51:31 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
wrote:

[snip]

. . . the endless, relentless, monotonic droning. . . .
. . . chanting the same thing over and over and over. . . .

[snip]

Dear Oz,

An ingenious device consisting of a piece of glass with one side
silvered can provide an intriguing point of view.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 20th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

In article .com,
says...

And, BTW, when you use that looking glass, to you ever see a jackass?

I did once, but like most of us, it's because there was one standing
behind me. ;-)

Rick
Old May 20th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,uk.rec.cycling

Ozark Bicycle wrote:

It's not so much what the AHZs are saying (although quite a bit of it
is questionable), as it is the endless, relentless, monotonic droning.

Well put it in your kill file Richard and then you don't have to listen
to it.

For heaven's sake, everyone understands the AHZs position. They are
just trying to wear people down by chanting the same thing over and
over and over. Give it a rest. IMO, alot of it seems like obsessive
behavior. And, if the same behavior came from the pro-helmet side, you
would agree that the behavior was obsessive.

It's not the "AHZs" who have set up and funded special political
lobbying groups with the single aim of imposing their views by law on
everyone. Its not the "AHZ's" who imposed their obsession on the
cyclists of Australia, New Zealand and seven other countries, to the
detriment of numbers cycling, nor who are trying to impose it now in the UK.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci