Market Research (please respond)

Old September 30th 03, 09:47 PM
some guy

Default Market Research (please respond)

Rsearching the competitive cycling (including unicycling) industry for a
college business project...

I'm trying to prove that there is a market for perfomance equipment in
the minority aspects of cycling such as downhill, trials, and uni.

what i would like to know is how many people would you guess would be
interested in purchasing a top of the line unicyle frame for either
trials or mountain uniing...
also, what would you guess most people would feel is a reasonable price
for such a product considering the availabillity of other such products
on the market and their demand...

lets define "top of the line" as:
-6160 aluminum frame material
-wieght=just over one pound
-able to accept commom high end components such as profile hubs and the
largest tires.
-powdercoated or anodized finish
-asthetically pleasing to the eye (cool looking)
-hydraulic brake mounts available
-versitile (flat crown and the like)

please combine mountain and trials frames as one number for your guess
on a demand.
if possible, give what you think a fair cost would be in american
dollars, if you don't know the conversions i can figure it out...

thanks for you time,

matt moore

--
some guy
some guy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4482

Old September 30th 03, 10:20 PM
James

Fraims are a tricky one usualy people get complete unicycles or totaly
custom fraims, BUT i would say about $500 for the trials and $600 for
the MUni fraims. Thats just my though and im pritty tight with my money.

--
James
James's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4185

Old September 30th 03, 10:42 PM
muniracer

i dont think many pople would pay $5-600 for a frame... Most of the
money goes into the wheelset. I use a $40 Yuni frame and it would be
the last thing that I upgrade. I do think that a splined hub, or
another rim like the dx32, or another seat design would sell well within
the unicyclist community.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you.
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Old September 30th 03, 10:59 PM
Borges

The frame "some guy" describes sounds alot like the Wilder.

If you compare the Wilder from unicycle.com with other unis with similar
seats and wheels it seems that the frame is worth 400 - 450$

I wouldn't pay that much, but I'm not looking for performance equipment,
so I guess I shouldn't be included in those statistics.

Morten

--
Borges - High impact cerabellum workout
Borges's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/925

Old September 30th 03, 11:36 PM
andrew_carter

Sorry to change the topic a bit, but how did you come to put downhill
mountain biking in the minorities category?

I personally wouldn't pay more than $400 (Australian Dollars) for a
frame. Sorry but I really couldn't even guess how many people would buy
those frames. They sound nice though.

Good luck,
Andrew

--
andrew_carter - 'Training' for UniNats

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Opening soon!
I love unicycling!

Old October 1st 03, 12:22 AM
Checkernuts

I would probably pay arround $150-200 for a high end frame for my
unicyce.

Chex

--
Checkernuts - Me Fail English? That's Unpossible

No one said it was gonna be easy and I'm not afraid to try, with the
odds stacked up against me I will have to fight, One Life One Wheel got
to do it right. H20
Checkernuts's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/801

Old October 1st 03, 03:33 AM
doctor

some guy wrote:
*lets define "top of the line" as:
-6160 aluminum frame material
-wieght=just over one pound
-able to accept commom high end components such as profile hubs and
the largest tires.
-powdercoated or anodized finish
-asthetically pleasing to the eye (cool looking)
-hydraulic brake mounts available
-versitile (flat crown and the like)
matt moore *

I will happily pay up to 200USD for that kind of decent uni frame.
I will unhappily pay up to 3000USD for that kind of decent uni frame.
I will not pay more that 400USD for the uni frame. Just will
use current KH 24' continuously until it is failed.

--
doctor - Dokyoung Yoon

WildDoc at 'WildUni.com' (http://www.wilduni.com)
email: webdoc(at)dreamwiz(dot)com
doctor's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1477

Old October 1st 03, 05:46 AM
evilewan

£80 max, for me anyway.
frames dont realy break.

did anyone in the history of the universe ever brake a numbus ii / yuni
frame?

and if you do grinds and crank grabs then a posh frame is a real bad
idea, if you destroy your bearing holders, then its going to be
expensive/impossible to replace them.
use a nimbus ii frame and you can be sure of getting cheap compatible
bearing holders anywhere in the world.

any more any your paying for things other than functionality.
its the titainium effect

people dont buy titanium unicycles because they "need" them
but some people have more monney than sense. and quite often titanium is
the wrong material for the job.

there are a load of high end frames available that don't even have good
foot placement. thats o.k. if you only ride down hills, but to me it
seem silly to make that sacrifice for 2mm of kneespace.

and that why i havent bothered to bring a high end frame to market

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

Old October 1st 03, 09:05 AM
GILD

some guy wrote:
*Rsearching the competitive cycling (including unicycling) industry
for a college business project...

thanks for you time,
matt moore *

so far it seems as if your project may want to focus on the need for
much more detailed needs analysis before creating even the 'imagined'
product

the frame sounds very impressive
now sell me the sizzle?
what will it do for me?

--
GILD - Waffle-tosser

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the
silence of our friends.
-- Martin Luther King Jr.

'this will only take a minute...(fixed)'
(http://www.burmacampaign.org.uk/actions/un.htm)
'and while u're in a good-deed-doing-mood...'
(http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com.)

JUST SAY 'KNOW'!

Namaste!
Dave

Old October 2nd 03, 12:06 PM
joemarshall

johnfoss wrote:
*
- Aluminum frame: Light, but more prone to denting and obviously not
suited to any form of grinding. I already have an aluminum frame, and
it's very popular. A similar frame for lower price would have a
market.
*

I notice that Roger said somewhere Onza are soon to release an aliminium
frame for their trials unis and munis.

Given that before onza brought out their trials uni, splined cranks cost
more than the whole onza unicycle, I'd suspect they're aiming at a
similarly low price point for the aluminium frame.

So you might be looking at closer to $100-$200 as a price to beat, or
probably under $500 for a whole unicycle.

It's beefy and over-engineered, but light, pretty practical and has foot
space. The riding being done on it was silly and there's no doubt it's
strong enough. The whole uni weighed not very much, loads less than my
Gazz 26x2.3, suzue hub in a nimbus II frame+KH seat. Although it did
have a CF seat etc. to make it nice and light.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
US Postal not seeing value to sponsorship... why? Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles Racing 170 May 13th 04 11:48 PM
More On Auto Insurance BretCahill Techniques 32 November 15th 03 04:57 PM