Pre-cutting cables

Old August 7th 03, 04:24 PM
Richard Bates

Default Pre-cutting cables

To save having to take cable cutters with me on a two week trip I'm
going to cut off the unwanted nipples from my spare brake/gear cables,
leaving the cable long enough to be used at the rear. Is there a good
way to stop them from fraying in transit?

Last time I wrapped sellotape around the cable before cutting it but
it still frayed.

Any other ideas?

Love and unwanted nipples from Rich x

--
If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er
luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit.
Old August 7th 03, 04:32 PM
Pete Biggs

Richard Bates wrote:
To save having to take cable cutters with me on a two week trip I'm
going to cut off the unwanted nipples from my spare brake/gear cables,
leaving the cable long enough to be used at the rear. Is there a good
way to stop them from fraying in transit?

Last time I wrapped sellotape around the cable before cutting it but
it still frayed.

Any other ideas?

Epoxy resin. I use it on my cables instead of metal end caps. Works very
well, and you should be able to remove it (or the excess) with a knife if
cable end needs be threaded through things.

~PB

Old August 7th 03, 06:03 PM
Peter B

"Richard Bates" wrote in
message ...
To save having to take cable cutters with me on a two week trip I'm
going to cut off the unwanted nipples from my spare brake/gear cables,
leaving the cable long enough to be used at the rear. Is there a good
way to stop them from fraying in transit?

Heatshrink cable sleeving available from Maplins, Farnell, RS Components et
al.
You can shrink it on by heating with a hot air gun or naked flame but it
will still come off easily enough when required. If you need to fit a new
cable whilst on the road apply he sleeving after and heat with a match.

Pete

Old August 7th 03, 06:05 PM
Richard Bates

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 17:03:58 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
in
wrote:

Heatshrink cable sleeving available from Maplins, Farnell, RS Components et

Excellent. Cheers! Still quite fancy the superglue idea too!

Old August 7th 03, 06:28 PM
Pete Biggs

Richard Bates wrote:

Heatshrink cable sleeving available from Maplins, Farnell, RS
Components et

Excellent. Cheers! Still quite fancy the superglue idea too!

Epoxy resin (aka Alraldite) works better than both of those and is more
arodynamic :-)

~PB

Old August 7th 03, 08:29 PM
the Mark

Pete Biggs wrote:
Richard Bates wrote:
To save having to take cable cutters with me on a two week
trip I'm going to cut off the unwanted nipples from my spare
brake/gear cables, leaving the cable long enough to be used
at the rear. Is there a good way to stop them from fraying in
transit?

Last time I wrapped sellotape around the cable before cutting
it but
it still frayed.

Any other ideas?

Epoxy resin. I use it on my cables instead of metal end caps.
Works very well, and you should be able to remove it (or the
excess) with a knife if cable end needs be threaded through
things.

~PB

I thread the end of the cable through a bit of 13 amp mains cable
insulation sleeve, a little oil helps here and you get a choice
of colours.
--
Mark
Road bike, Mountain bike and