TfL letter to motorists

Old September 7th 03, 04:25 PM
dwb

Default TfL letter to motorists

"Michael Klontzas" wrote in message
Did all London residents get that letter from TfL about bus lanes with a
big 'Important information for all London motorists' printed on the
envelope? I never owned or operated a motor vehicle. Funny
'cycle-friendly' TfL would automatically assume all people living in
London are motorists! The semantics sometimes speak volumes.

So what does it say about bus lanes?

Or is it the usual drivel about "keep out of them"?

Old September 7th 03, 04:46 PM
Oliver Jones

"Michael Klontzas" wrote in message
Did all London residents get that letter from TfL about bus lanes with a
big 'Important information for all London motorists' printed on the
envelope? I never owned or operated a motor vehicle. Funny
'cycle-friendly' TfL would automatically assume all people living in
London are motorists! The semantics sometimes speak volumes.

Can't say I have received a letter from them.

Old September 7th 03, 05:40 PM
Michael Klontzas

On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 16:25:42 +0100, "dwb"
wrote:
So what does it say about bus lanes?

Or is it the usual drivel about "keep out of them"?

1. the fine increases from £80 to £100 from 1/4/03
2. more cameras
3. these cameras don't flash so don't assume you are not being monitored
4. most businesses pass fines to their drivers, so be warned
5. + a bonus glossy leaflet repeating the above

--
Michael Klontzas
'If everything seems to be coming your way,
Old September 7th 03, 06:36 PM
Tenex

Michael Klontzas wrote:
Did all London residents get that letter from TfL about bus lanes
with a big 'Important information for all London motorists' printed
on the envelope? I never owned or operated a motor vehicle. Funny
'cycle-friendly' TfL would automatically assume all people living in
London are motorists! The semantics sometimes speak volumes.

Got it 10 days+ ago, couldn't work out why they'd sent it to me. Good to
know I'm not the only one ...

Old September 7th 03, 07:16 PM
Tony Raven

Michael Klontzas wrote:
Did all London residents get that letter from TfL about bus lanes
with a big 'Important information for all London motorists' printed
on the envelope? I never owned or operated a motor vehicle. Funny
'cycle-friendly' TfL would automatically assume all people living in
London are motorists! The semantics sometimes speak volumes.

It'll be cheaper and easier to send it to everyone on the electoral register
than to find out who owns or drives or hires a car and send it only to them.

Tony

--
"If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything."
Mark Twain

Old September 7th 03, 07:28 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Oliver Jones" typed

"Michael Klontzas" wrote in message
Did all London residents get that letter from TfL about bus lanes with a
big 'Important information for all London motorists' printed on the
envelope? I never owned or operated a motor vehicle. Funny
'cycle-friendly' TfL would automatically assume all people living in
London are motorists! The semantics sometimes speak volumes.

Can't say I have received a letter from them.

Me neither. Is Edgware London?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old September 7th 03, 08:54 PM
dailuggs

Scrumpy Joe wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:
Michael Klontzas wrote:
Did all London residents get that letter from TfL about bus lanes
with a big 'Important information for all London motorists' printed
on the envelope? I never owned or operated a motor vehicle. Funny
'cycle-friendly' TfL would automatically assume all people living in
London are motorists! The semantics sometimes speak volumes.

It'll be cheaper and easier to send it to everyone on the electoral
register than to find out who owns or drives or hires a car and send
it only to them.

Tony

What about tallying the London electoral roll with records from DVLA...?
Oh! on 2nd thoughts that would require joined up government and a
coherent transport policy :-o)

indeed- so that aint gonna happen!

Old September 7th 03, 09:08 PM
Richard Bates

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003 21:04:36 +0100, Huw Pritchard
in
wrote:

Maybe it's so you can educate the cagers when they infringe on your/the
buses space, "Oi! The fine's gone up to £100, and there's more cameras,
you know!"

If it weren't for the fact that it would be an aerodynamic hinderance,
I'd love to have a big sign on the back of my bike saying something
like "You stay out of my cycle lanes and I'll stay off your
motorways".
--
If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er
luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit.
Old September 7th 03, 09:35 PM
Tony Raven

Scrumpy Joe wrote:

What about tallying the London electoral roll with records from
DVLA...? Oh! on 2nd thoughts that would require joined up government
and a coherent transport policy :-o)

Just a bit of software to correlate the two lists. Trouble is, as I said,
it'd cost more money to do and since the mailing is probably the only time
that data set would get used, not worth spending the money

Tony

Old September 8th 03, 09:10 AM
Richard Goodman

"Tony Raven" wrote in message
Scrumpy Joe wrote:

What about tallying the London electoral roll with records from
DVLA...? Oh! on 2nd thoughts that would require joined up government
and a coherent transport policy :-o)

Just a bit of software to correlate the two lists. Trouble is, as I said,
it'd cost more money to do and since the mailing is probably the only time
that data set would get used, not worth spending the money

I think we're talking about correlating multiple different lists held by
different local authorities with one central govt DVLA recordset, with DPA
and civil liberties implications - _much_ cheaper and less aggro to just
mailshot every London household... Except that I don't think I got one
(albeit that I tend to immediately bin everything that looks like a circular
without reading it anyway).

Rich