Please abuse me (I like a klein)

Old June 5th 04, 01:58 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

Default Please abuse me (I like a klein)

On 2004-06-04, Per Elmsäter penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
snipped all the interesting stuff
Thanks for letting me ramble. I'm open to opinions and I know that
most of you will hate it just because it's Klein. But if you could
give me some data points to back up the hatred, that would be of
interest.

There ain't nothing like the paint job on a Klein.

Ah! I must have my priorities off -- I thought it was all about the
fit.

I figure, if I do buy it, I'll have to cover it in stickers to "protect"
the paint.

--
Perre
2001 Klein Adept Pro. Plumcrazy

--
monique
Old June 5th 04, 02:01 AM
gabrielle

On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:34:11 -0700, Gwood wrote:

I'm not a freerider, but like the singletrack techie riding of north and
central Oregon.

Where are you?

gabrielle, nosy & in NoCentral OR
Old June 5th 04, 03:35 AM
pas

gabrielle wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 16:34:11 -0700, Gwood wrote:

I'm not a freerider, but like the singletrack techie riding of north
and central Oregon.

Where are you?

gabrielle, nosy & in NoCentral OR

yeah, and did he see the conversation about AMB-MR (mackenzie river) in
August?

penny

Old June 5th 04, 03:44 AM
Zilla

S o r n i wrote:
Zilla wrote:
Per Elmsäter wrote:

There ain't nothing like the paint job on a Klein.
--
Perre
2001 Klein Adept Pro. Plumcrazy

...which is why I'd hate to own a Klein MTB - I'll be all ****ed if I
scratched it. I got a Klein roadie though (Q Carbon Team) with
an exquisite paint job, and a smooth ride...

This one? http://home.san.rr.com/billsornson/Bikes.jpg (large file
warning; clueless digital here).

Just got back from a 45-miler...WHILE wearing my AM-B headband!

Bill "blasphemer" S.

! That's exactly what I have, same color, full Ultegra! How long
have you had yours? I've had mine 6 mos. now and 600 mi.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Old June 5th 04, 03:58 AM
Pistof

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
The Fisher Cake small was rubbing my crotch, and I really didn't want a
bike quite that friendly, so I nixed that one.

Hmm..., I'm sorry because I can't quite picture this rubbing that you
describe. Do you think you could post a picture of the rub marks so that I
don't have to leave it to my imagination?

The new 2005 LX will be out (most likely) this Fall. I think it would be a
good idea to wait until then to pick up a sweet deal on a bike with this new
group installed. Buy a used clunker to get you by until then...

Dave

Old June 5th 04, 04:22 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-04, MattB penned:

The Fisher Cake small was rubbing my crotch, and I really didn't want
a bike quite that friendly, so I nixed that one. The women's
versions were respectively way too small and way too large.

Heh. We won't be able to resist that. Especially in combination with
your title. I bet some people would pay more for that kind of
treatment, but being a newlywed you're probably already taken care of
in that department.

It's always fun to turn a witty (or smutty) phrase. Innuendo didn't die
out when we grew up!

I know a couple of people who ride those. Most like them, and one guy
broke his, but he's probably harder on his bikes than you are (except
for getting them run over - but few bikes can survive that).

Do you remember what broke, how, and/or how big the guy is?

I remember the front shifting being a big problem due to the design.
Hopefully that's a thing that's been worked out. One of the people I
know with one is the LBS owner's very petite wife and she really likes
hers.

Are you referring to the fourth bullet point here?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1046

This article *claims* that it is fixed this year. I did drop the chain
when shifting to the big ring in a situation that should never have
caused the chain to drop -- good reason to test ride this puppy on a
real trail before committing.

One reason is they are made (and owned) by Trek. So that's the kiss of
death for some. It's definitely not a XC race type of bike, but it
doesn't sound like that's what you need (you can still race on a
non-race bike, just not as "seriously").

What kinds of things would be different on a XC race type bike, and
would such a bike be fun in non-race situations?

I'd go for the XT group, but I'm kind of a snob when it comes to that
stuff.

I'm highly tempted to go to the 15 as well, as much for the fork upgrade
as for the XT. The 15 has the new combo shifter/brake thing, though,
and I have no idea what I think of that yet.

--
monique
Old June 5th 04, 04:24 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-04, Ozman Trad penned:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

http://www.kleinbikes.com/us/mountai...o_v/index.html

do da shocks lock out?

The front fork on the 15 locks out; the one on the 5 does not. I don't
think the rear on either locks out, but I don't know.

--
monique
Old June 5th 04, 04:26 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-04, Gwood penned:
I've got the prior generation Klein (Adept). I had real reservations
when I got it since it felt too light, but I got a screamin deal. Now
that's been through some minor skirmishes, I really like it and my
confidence level is much higher. Climbs great, very nimble and feels
much like a hardtail until it needs to go to work. The paint was
already nicked up, so that wasn't an issue. It was one of the
Chehalis made models, which was a nice touch.

I'm hearing the climbing thing from many people, and that definitely
sounds good to me. Paint; eh. It's supposed to get scratched.

I'm not a freerider, but like the singletrack techie riding of north
and central Oregon. After nearly a year of XC riding, it's still
working well for me. Some component work to be done, but that's the
Shimano stuff starting to fail.

I'm not a freerider, either. I don't think. What's a freerider? I
think it involves a heavier bike?

My buddy is hot for a Palomino as well. (ere, you know what I mean).
I thought the dramatic slope of the seat tube would make the cockpit
too long for his shorter upper body, but apparently not.

Well, my Fuel may have been just a hair tight for my torso and arms.
The increased slope seems to give me that touch more of space that I
want.

For the money, I think they are (or were, at least) excellent bikes.

I hope so =) I have tentative plans to test ride one tomorrow.

--
monique
Old June 5th 04, 04:28 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-05, Ride-A-Lot penned:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
I test rode some bikes today. I went to a store believing that they
carried Konas and Yetis, but it turned out they dropped those lines
since last year. They carry Trek, Klein, Fisher, and Cannondale.

snip

Klein is actually becoming respectable again. I guess Seinfeld had to
go away for a sufficient amount of time. I would go for the all XT
and upgraded Fox fork.

Seinfeld?

Yeah, I'm leaning toward the 15, too.

--
monique
Old June 5th 04, 05:48 AM
MattB

On 2004-06-04, MattB penned:

The Fisher Cake small was rubbing my crotch, and I really didn't
want a bike quite that friendly, so I nixed that one. The women's
versions were respectively way too small and way too large.

Heh. We won't be able to resist that. Especially in combination with
your title. I bet some people would pay more for that kind of
treatment, but being a newlywed you're probably already taken care of
in that department.

It's always fun to turn a witty (or smutty) phrase. Innuendo didn't
die out when we grew up!

We grew up?

I know a couple of people who ride those. Most like them, and one guy
broke his, but he's probably harder on his bikes than you are (except
for getting them run over - but few bikes can survive that).

Do you remember what broke, how, and/or how big the guy is?

No, but I think JD may know.

I remember the front shifting being a big problem due to the design.
Hopefully that's a thing that's been worked out. One of the people I
know with one is the LBS owner's very petite wife and she really
likes hers.

Are you referring to the fourth bullet point here?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/article.php?sid=1046

I think so. I thought there was also a suspension-induced ghost shift thing,
but it's entirely possible I'm confusing that with another bike so don't
take my word for it.

This article *claims* that it is fixed this year. I did drop the
chain when shifting to the big ring in a situation that should never
have caused the chain to drop -- good reason to test ride this puppy
on a real trail before committing.

One reason is they are made (and owned) by Trek. So that's the kiss
of death for some. It's definitely not a XC race type of bike, but
it doesn't sound like that's what you need (you can still race on a
non-race bike, just not as "seriously").

What kinds of things would be different on a XC race type bike, and
would such a bike be fun in non-race situations?

XC race bikes will usually have less travel if any at all. Hardtails still
play a prominent role in XC races and a lot of the pros riding FS would ride
hardtails if the sponsors were more into it. There's more emphasis on weight
savings and less on comfort. I have what was designed to be a race FS bike,
but it's still thought of as heavy and plush by more serious racers.

I'd go for the XT group, but I'm kind of a snob when it comes to that
stuff.

I'm highly tempted to go to the 15 as well, as much for the fork
upgrade as for the XT. The 15 has the new combo shifter/brake thing,
though, and I have no idea what I think of that yet.

Fox forks seem to be very well liked. I'd be tempted too.
I don't know about the shifters either. I'd proably be willing to try them
if they came on the bike I wanted (and I'd hope they were good).

Matt

creaky klein socks Mountain Biking 10 May 17th 04 04:53 PM
Rear disc brake on 2001 Klein Attitude? Rocketman Mountain Biking 7 January 9th 04 10:18 PM
klein attitude, but fork etc ... higb Mountain Biking 8 July 8th 03 09:16 PM
Klein dealers in Colorado MattB Mountain Biking 2 July 1st 03 02:22 PM