Please abuse me (I like a klein)

Old June 5th 04, 05:56 AM
S o r n i

Default Please abuse me (I like a klein)

Zilla wrote:
S o r n i wrote:
Zilla wrote:

I got a Klein roadie though (Q Carbon Team) with
an exquisite paint job, and a smooth ride...

This one? http://home.san.rr.com/billsornson/Bikes.jpg (large file
warning; clueless digital* here).

*meant to say "digitog", but spell-checker changed it. (Not that it's
an actual word or anything.)

That's exactly what I have, same color, full Ultegra! How long
have you had yours? I've had mine 6 mos. now and 600 mi.

Just checked. 3033 miles since last July 15. (However, I set the
cyclometer to 1,000 miles estimated when I installed it, so could be off a
hundred or so either way.)

Naturally, I've already upgraded the crank, rear derailleur and cassette to
DuraAce for no particularly good reason, other than to spend money. (Oh,
and a pricey set of Velomax Ascent II wheels, too, for "serious" rides. No
idea why.)

Bill "then there's the FSA carbon seatpost, and..." S.

Old June 5th 04, 06:02 AM
tcmedara

S o r n i wrote:

Naturally, I've already upgraded the crank, rear derailleur and
cassette to DuraAce for no particularly good reason, other than to
spend money. (Oh, and a pricey set of Velomax Ascent II wheels, too,
for "serious" rides. No idea why.)

Bill "then there's the FSA carbon seatpost, and..." S.

What the heck else are you gonna spend it on? What's the sense of going to
work if you can't go buy toys?

Please respond with positive affirmations of support so I can show my wife
that I'm not the only one who "needs" to upgrade on a recurring basis.

..... I'm not so sure about a carbon seatpost though. The thought of it
gives me chills. Bizarre roadie stuff.

Tom

Old June 5th 04, 06:23 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-05, Pistof penned:

The new 2005 LX will be out (most likely) this Fall. I think it would
be a good idea to wait until then to pick up a sweet deal on a bike
with this new group installed. Buy a used clunker to get you by until
then...

Do you mean LX components, like, shimano LX?

You think it's a good idea for me to sit out the best months of biking
so that I can get next year's LX components?

I don't understand why you think this is a good idea ... please explain.

In any case, there is no way I'm going to wait half a year -- or even
several months -- to ride a decent bike. Call me impatient.

--
monique
Old June 5th 04, 06:31 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-05, MattB penned:

XC race bikes will usually have less travel if any at all. Hardtails
still play a prominent role in XC races and a lot of the pros riding
FS would ride hardtails if the sponsors were more into it. There's
more emphasis on weight savings and less on comfort. I have what was
designed to be a race FS bike, but it's still thought of as heavy and
plush by more serious racers.

Ah. Yeah, without knowing if I'll ever race more than once, getting a
race-specific bike would probably be a bit premature ... and
unnecessarily uncomfortable.

I'm highly tempted to go to the 15 as well, as much for the fork
upgrade as for the XT. The 15 has the new combo shifter/brake thing,
though, and I have no idea what I think of that yet.

Fox forks seem to be very well liked. I'd be tempted too. I don't
know about the shifters either. I'd proably be willing to try them if
they came on the bike I wanted (and I'd hope they were good).

Eric just got the F100X and adores it, so there's one data point.

I'm pretty much with you on the shifters -- as long as they're there,
I might as well try them. It's not like I have years invested in the
other way of shifting. The question of braking while shifting weirds me
out, although I can't swear I've ever tried that. A friend of mine has
the combos and doesn't hate them ... but hasn't raved about them,
either.

--
monique
Old June 5th 04, 06:38 AM
S o r n i

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

I did drop the chain when shifting to the big ring in a situation that

should never
have caused the chain to drop -- good reason to test ride this puppy
on a real trail before committing.

Bear in mind that bike shops don't exactly fine-tune their rigs before
allowing test rides (big mistake, IMO). I'm sure that people have ruled out
bikes because of sloppy shifting or squealing brakes, when a simple little
tweak would easily fix the problem.

If a certain model feels "light, tight and right" to you, then by all means
don't let a small thing drive you away from it.

Bill "will save abuse for another time" S.

Old June 5th 04, 06:48 AM
S o r n i

On 2004-06-05, Pistof penned:

The new 2005 LX will be out (most likely) this Fall. I think it
would be a good idea to wait until then to pick up a sweet deal on a
bike with this new group installed. Buy a used clunker to get you
by until then...

Do you mean LX components, like, shimano LX?

You think it's a good idea for me to sit out the best months of biking
so that I can get next year's LX components?

I don't understand why you think this is a good idea ... please
explain.

In any case, there is no way I'm going to wait half a year -- or even
several months -- to ride a decent bike. Call me impatient.

DAMN your hubby's a lucky man! Great post.

Bill "LX?!? Patooie" S.

Old June 5th 04, 07:20 AM
Ozman Trad

"tcmedara" wrote in message news:mtcwc.417

What the heck else are you gonna spend it on?

UH, how about the needy or less fortunate ? Maybe the million people
starving in the Sudan? For starters.

Old June 5th 04, 07:23 AM
Ozman Trad

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

I don't think the rear on either locks out, but I don't know.

Bummer!!! HOw's your pedal stroke?

Old June 5th 04, 07:25 AM
Ozman Trad

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

Seinfeld?

for most of the years of the show he had a green Klein hanging in his house.
Don't think he ever rode it thou

Old June 5th 04, 08:05 AM
S o r n i

Ozman Trad wrote:
"tcmedara" wrote in message

What the heck else are you gonna spend it on?

UH, how about the needy or less fortunate ? Maybe the million people
starving in the Sudan? For starters.

Poor Tom, he's really wearing the Kick Me sign tonight!

Bill "bet he'd gladly donate the 5 bucks from that other thread" S.

creaky klein socks Mountain Biking 10 May 17th 04 04:53 PM
Rear disc brake on 2001 Klein Attitude? Rocketman Mountain Biking 7 January 9th 04 10:18 PM
klein attitude, but fork etc ... higb Mountain Biking 8 July 8th 03 09:16 PM
Klein dealers in Colorado MattB Mountain Biking 2 July 1st 03 02:22 PM