Kryptonite Locks safe?

Old June 22nd 04, 01:21 PM
Thomas Schmidt

Default Kryptonite Locks safe?

Hi,

a friend told me that all these bicycle locks that have these round
or tubular keys are not safe because they were easy to open with
so-called "picktools". he also told me that there are newer locks
with a "ace-2" lock or something which are safer.

The question is: does all that only regard cheap noname-locks or
even brand-name locks like kryptonite? I am asking because I
have 3 kryptonite locks in use, one EvoLite (4 years old), one
New York Chain (2 years old) and a quite old kryptonite I don't
know the exact name, should be about 10 years old.

Do at least the newer ones feature this "ace-2" lock or do I have
to replace them all?

Thank you for your advice, Thomas

Old June 22nd 04, 04:22 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-22, Thomas Schmidt penned:
Hi,

a friend told me that all these bicycle locks that have these round or
tubular keys are not safe because they were easy to open with
so-called "picktools". he also told me that there are newer locks with
a "ace-2" lock or something which are safer.

The question is: does all that only regard cheap noname-locks or even
brand-name locks like kryptonite? I am asking because I have 3
kryptonite locks in use, one EvoLite (4 years old), one New York Chain
(2 years old) and a quite old kryptonite I don't know the exact name,
should be about 10 years old.

Do at least the newer ones feature this "ace-2" lock or do I have to
replace them all?

My advice:

If a thief wants your bike, no lock will stop them. I've had friends
return to their cars only to find that part of the rack has been sawed
off to remove the bike.

Any lock can be picked or frozen/shattered. If you really, really don't
want your bike stolen, don't leave it unattended.

And for god's sake, make sure you have renter's or homeowner's
insurance! It covers the loss of bikes and such.

--
monique
Old June 22nd 04, 04:47 PM
Thomas Schmidt

Any lock can be picked or frozen/shattered. If you really, really don't
want your bike stolen, don't leave it unattended.

Sorry, but this is useless blah blah. There is a difference if a lock has
easy-to-pick cylinders or difficult-to-pick cylinders like the ace-2, and
that is what I want to know.

Old June 22nd 04, 05:32 PM
Thomas Schmidt

Sorry, but this is useless blah blah.

If good advice is useless "blah, blah, blah" then maybe you need to ask about
this in alt.locksmithing instead.
(Yes, it exists, as does alt.life.locksmithing)

Steve "full of blah, blah, blah..."

What Monique said was NOT good advice, it was useless because
she did not answer my question and just wrote something general instead.

Old June 22nd 04, 06:25 PM
Kamus of Kadizhar

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:47:14 +0200, Thomas Schmidt wrote:

Sorry, but this is useless blah blah. There is a difference if a lock has
easy-to-pick cylinders or difficult-to-pick cylinders like the ace-2, and
that is what I want to know.

Not really. No thief is going to take the time to pick a lock. A squirt
of freon, a tap with a hammer, and he's got your bike.

A lock will deter a casual thief, but a casual thief ain't gonna know how
to pick a lock.

Lock picking is an art, learned over time. Most bike thieves aren't too
bright and don't want to learn - that's why they steal instead of working
or going to school.

Where I went to school, we had at least 2 organized gangs that stole
bikes for a living. No one ever had a lock picked. Locks were forced,
broken, cut, or - my fave - parking meter heads loosened so that the
thieves could slide the meter head off, pick up the bike, lock and
all, then replace the meter head.

--Kamus

--Kamus
Old June 22nd 04, 06:48 PM
JD

"Thomas Schmidt" wrote in message ...
Hi,

a friend told me that all these bicycle locks that have these round
or tubular keys are not safe because they were easy to open with
so-called "picktools". he also told me that there are newer locks
with a "ace-2" lock or something which are safer.

The question is: does all that only regard cheap noname-locks or
even brand-name locks like kryptonite? I am asking because I
have 3 kryptonite locks in use, one EvoLite (4 years old), one
New York Chain (2 years old) and a quite old kryptonite I don't
know the exact name, should be about 10 years old.

Do at least the newer ones feature this "ace-2" lock or do I have
to replace them all?

The marketing dilweeds want you to replace ALL of your locks. If
someone wants your bike, it doesn't matter what lock is on it. I've
said it before and I'll say it again, keep your mountain bike indoors
unless you are going to ride the trails. For putting around town, use
a beater, aka "townie". Then if the townie gets stolen, you're not
out of too much of your hard earned dough. Besides, most thieves will
not bother with a townie.

JD
Old June 22nd 04, 06:48 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-06-22, Thomas Schmidt penned:

What Monique said was NOT good advice, it was useless because she did
not answer my question and just wrote something general instead.

Of course, of course. You're absolutely right. I tried to help you
with your real problem (not wanting to get your bike stolen) rather than
with your perceived problem (telling the difference between locks).

You're agonizing about the type of lock to put on your front door while
your windows are all wide open.

--
monique
Old June 22nd 04, 06:50 PM
JD

"Thomas Schmidt" wrote in message ...
snip
Do at least the newer ones feature this "ace-2" lock or do I have
to replace them all?

The marketing dilweeds want you to replace all of your locks every
year. Keep your "expensive" mountain bike inside unless you are going
to ride the dirt and buy a townie for putting around town.

JD
Old June 22nd 04, 06:54 PM
S o r n i

Thomas Schmidt wrote:
Sorry, but this is useless blah blah.

If good advice is useless "blah, blah, blah" then maybe you need to
ask about this in alt.locksmithing instead.
(Yes, it exists, as does alt.life.locksmithing)

Steve "full of blah, blah, blah..."

What Monique said was NOT good advice, it was useless because
she did not answer my question and just wrote something general
instead.

OK, you forced me to re-read the thread. Her advice was spot-on, and you
should thank her for taking the time to reply to you at all instead of
deriding her comments.

Reminds me of an idiot in wreck.misc who asked for excercise advice and
reading recommendations, and then found fault with every single suggestion.

Bill "go read lock reviews if you don't like it here" S.

Headset Locks (or whatever they are called) Michael J. Klein General 1 June 28th 04 02:39 PM
San Francisco to send cyclists to Chicago to Promote Safe Bikeways Cycle America General 0 June 4th 04 06:01 AM
Safe scouting? Matthew General 8 November 29th 03 04:55 PM
Safe Routes to School Question Tim Smith General 10 October 7th 03 09:32 PM
Kryptonite ClydedaleMTB_in_TN Mountain Biking 4 October 1st 03 01:50 PM