Kryptonite Locks safe?

Old June 22nd 04, 08:08 PM
Kamus of Kadizhar

Default Kryptonite Locks safe?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:32:30 +0200, Thomas Schmidt wrote:

What Monique said was NOT good advice, it was useless because
she did not answer my question and just wrote something general instead.

Are you under the impression that Monique is on your payroll? That she
owes you some research or that she should spend time working on your
behalf?

No one here owes you squat. Usenet is free; take it or leave it. People
contribute what they want. You are free to use it or not. But rules of
common decency apply; when asking for a favor, don't be an asshole.

If you want to know about this ace-2 lock, google for it, spend a couple
of hours (or days) reading up on it, and post the results. Otherwise,
quit your bitching and go away.

--Kamus
Old June 22nd 04, 10:21 PM
jack

"Thomas Schmidt" wrote in message

Any lock can be picked or frozen/shattered. If you really, really don't
want your bike stolen, don't leave it unattended.

Sorry, but this is useless blah blah. There is a difference if a lock has
easy-to-pick cylinders or difficult-to-pick cylinders like the ace-2, and
that is what I want to know.

This is bike forum. Not a lockpicking forum.

Go he

http://www.lockpicking101.com/

Old June 23rd 04, 12:36 AM
John Morgan

Thomas Schmidt wrote:

Hi,

a friend told me that all these bicycle locks that have these round
or tubular keys are not safe because they were easy to open with
so-called "picktools". he also told me that there are newer locks
with a "ace-2" lock or something which are safer.

The question is: does all that only regard cheap noname-locks or
even brand-name locks like kryptonite? I am asking because I
have 3 kryptonite locks in use, one EvoLite (4 years old), one
New York Chain (2 years old) and a quite old kryptonite I don't
know the exact name, should be about 10 years old.

Do at least the newer ones feature this "ace-2" lock or do I have
to replace them all?

Thank you for your advice, Thomas

I had a Kryptonite New Yorker Chain (with old style EV Disc lock) and it was
picked while I was at college. The bike was subsequently stolen, of
course. If you must buy a lock, make sure it's the so-called 'ace-2'
version.

John M
Old June 23rd 04, 04:21 AM
jack

"Thomas Schmidt" wrote in message
Hi,

a friend told me that all these bicycle locks that have these round
or tubular keys are not safe because they were easy to open with
so-called "picktools". he also told me that there are newer locks
with a "ace-2" lock or something which are safer.

You sure you want an "ace-2" lock?

http://www.gun-room.com/product348.html

Old June 23rd 04, 04:53 AM
Slacker

jack wrote:

"Thomas Schmidt" wrote in message

Hi,

a friend told me that all these bicycle locks that have these round
or tubular keys are not safe because they were easy to open with
so-called "picktools". he also told me that there are newer locks
with a "ace-2" lock or something which are safer.

You sure you want an "ace-2" lock?

http://www.gun-room.com/product348.html

lol That's just wrong!!!

--
Slacker
Old June 23rd 04, 05:11 AM
Andy R.

On 2004-06-22, Thomas Schmidt penned:

Hi,

a friend told me that all these bicycle locks that have these round or
tubular keys are not safe because they were easy to open with
so-called "picktools". he also told me that there are newer locks with
a "ace-2" lock or something which are safer.

The question is: does all that only regard cheap noname-locks or even
brand-name locks like kryptonite? I am asking because I have 3
kryptonite locks in use, one EvoLite (4 years old), one New York Chain
(2 years old) and a quite old kryptonite I don't know the exact name,
should be about 10 years old.

Do at least the newer ones feature this "ace-2" lock or do I have to
replace them all?

My advice:

If a thief wants your bike, no lock will stop them. I've had friends
return to their cars only to find that part of the rack has been sawed
off to remove the bike.

Any lock can be picked or frozen/shattered. If you really, really don't
want your bike stolen, don't leave it unattended.

And for god's sake, make sure you have renter's or homeowner's
insurance! It covers the loss of bikes and such.

A hacksaw did my Kryptonite lock in and my bike vanished in thin air.....

Old June 23rd 04, 06:35 AM
Mitch Pollard

I thought Monique dished out good advice just then..
Cranky *******. also theives dont pick locks they hack off locks and prly
locks off with crow bars the weakest spot on the chain/lock join. they'd use
a car jack, anything ! but picking them unless very skilled crims wont pick
your lock. especially 3 locks. or however many you are using.

Old June 23rd 04, 08:34 AM
Reco Diver

Kamus of Kadizhar wrote in message news:pan.2004.06.22.17.25.16.351588@NsOeSiPnAeMr. com...
On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 17:47:14 +0200, Thomas Schmidt wrote:

Sorry, but this is useless blah blah. There is a difference if a lock has
easy-to-pick cylinders or difficult-to-pick cylinders like the ace-2, and
that is what I want to know.

Not really. No thief is going to take the time to pick a lock. A squirt
of freon, a tap with a hammer, and he's got your bike.

Urban legend.
Freon is a simple CFC. The Dupont trademarked "Freon" is/was used as a
refrigerant, but even submerging metals in it has no effect on the
structure of the metal. As a side note, one of the inventors of Freon
(Thomas Midgley) demonstrated the "safety" of Freon by inhaling the
gas, and then exhaling it to blow out a candle.

And before anyone jumps on liquid nitrogen ... it is costly (in useful
amounts) and hard to work with.

Most U-locks are broken mechanically. It is quick, easy, and can be
done with readily available tools.

snip
Old June 23rd 04, 09:38 AM
Kamus of Kadizhar

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 00:34:18 -0700, Reco Diver wrote:

Urban legend.
Freon is a simple CFC. The Dupont trademarked "Freon" is/was used as a
refrigerant, but even submerging metals in it has no effect on the
structure of the metal.

T'aint the structure. It's the fact that when you release a compressed
gas (any gas) the temp drops. Freon just happens to be very good at that.

So, take a compressed gas, release it with metal in the way, metal
freezes. Freeze metal enough, it becomes brittle. Tap it with a hammer,
it shatters.

IIRC, hardened steel is especially prone to this; this is apparently why
some locks have a mild steel 'sheath' around a hardened steel core.

Nothing to do with Freon or its safety; you could use CO2 for a demo.
Heck, have you never had a valve freeze after using one of those CO2
cartridges?

Some googling - turns out that the freezing method has dropped in
popularity; I guess because now you need a license for Freon and locks
have become less susceptible.

--Kamus

--
o |
o__ [] | A roadie who doesn't ride a mountain bike has no soul.

Old June 23rd 04, 02:03 PM
Pistof

[...]

No, Reco Diver is 100% correct on this one. Freon, CO2 and other commonly
compressed gases do not get cold enough to shatter a bicycle lock. Liquid
nitrogen is one gas that requires extremely high pressure to become a liquid
and it will get cold enough. If CO2 and freon could get this cold people
would severly burn their hands when inflating their bicycles tires or
filling their A/C systems.

It's an urban myth that thieves use these common gases to bust locks. They
simply take a hydraulic jack and pop the lock. Sorry, no lock picks and no
exotic gases.

Dave

Headset Locks (or whatever they are called) Michael J. Klein General 1 June 28th 04 02:39 PM
San Francisco to send cyclists to Chicago to Promote Safe Bikeways Cycle America General 0 June 4th 04 06:01 AM
Safe scouting? Matthew General 8 November 29th 03 04:55 PM
Safe Routes to School Question Tim Smith General 10 October 7th 03 09:32 PM
Kryptonite ClydedaleMTB_in_TN Mountain Biking 4 October 1st 03 01:50 PM