Fall has fell

Old October 17th 15, 02:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Fall has fell

Won't one of you guys in Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa post
about how you are peeling off warm clothes?

I haven't even gone to the back of the closet for my winter clothes
yet, and today one entire pannier was occupied by clothing -- and I
wore all of it, except the cloth slippers I took in case I didn't want
to wear shoes in Meijer. (Their floor, if I recall correctly, is cold
enough to hurt when I walk there in stocking feet.) But I wore
walking shoes only for the hop across Anchorage Road from Goodwill to
Meijer, so my feet weren't sore.

Well, about half the pannier was occupied by black oxfords, and that
could happen in the summer. But this was the first time this fall
that I've taken my windbreaker. Long sleeves wouldn't have been amiss
at any time, but I put the windbreaker on only while I was eating
lunch at a picnic table with my back to a strong wind.

My food got cold really fast, but none of it blew off the table. Did
have to chase my grocery bag of grocery bags across two or three
parking lots. Lost about half; I should have tied the handles
together. I plan a hysterically funny issue of the Beeson Banner, if
I have the mental energy.

I wonder whether I still have that lovely handlebar bag that I had to
quit using when I bought my Ed Kearney light? Since I can't go out
after dark, I didn't replace my light when it wore out, so I could
start using a handlebar bag again.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Old October 17th 15, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/16/2015 9:17 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I wonder whether I still have that lovely handlebar bag that I had to
quit using when I bought my Ed Kearney light? Since I can't go out
after dark, I didn't replace my light when it wore out, so I could
start using a handlebar bag again.

I just now finished installing a new headlight (B&M Eyc, powered by an
old classic Union generator, very nice!). I fabricated a custom
mounting bracket to mount the light on the custom frame of my custom
handlebar bag. (I made the handlebar bag about five or six years ago.)
Based on the test ride, everything works very well.

But I concur about clothing. Since the ride was very short, I didn't
even put on a windbreaker. I regretted that decision.

Oh, and I hate walking into a relatively warm house and having my
glasses immediately fog me into blindness!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 17th 15, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 22:52:02 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

Oh, and I hate walking into a relatively warm house and having my
glasses immediately fog me into blindness!

Here, that won't be a problem until we start the humidifier -- and
after we start it, I hold my glasses over it until they steam up and
then clean them with a linen napkin. (I keep a few antiques for that
purpose.)

We keep an enamel stock pot of water with a dash of vinegar simmering
on the gas stove.

--
Joy Beeson

Old October 17th 15, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 22:17:00 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Won't one of you guys in Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa post
about how you are peeling off warm clothes?
\

Well, I'm not in South Africa or Australia but here in Bangkok it is
the end of the rainy season and time to start slathering on the sun
screen to avoid sun burn, Not a cloud in the sky today and the
temperature was a cool 32 degrees (C) :-)

[...]

cheers,

John B.

Old October 18th 15, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 18:14:18 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Well, I'm not in South Africa or Australia but here in Bangkok it is
the end of the rainy season and time to start slathering on the sun
screen to avoid sun burn, Not a cloud in the sky today and the
temperature was a cool 32 degrees (C) :-)

Wikipedia's description of your climate strongly suggests that you
don't even *own* any winter woollies!

This morning I read in the Wabash club's mailing list that one of
their rides was postponed because it was "too cold to ride" early in
the morning. I was much puzzled by that.

Maybe the ride leader left his warm clothes in his storage locker last
spring.

Old October 18th 15, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Mite nippier today. I changed to a thicker scarf, wore footless
tights under my sweat pants, wore a long-sleeved silk T-shirt under my
jersey, and never took off my windbreaker.

Some time today, when I was wrestling my mystery-fiber gloves on over
my weightlifting gloves, the dime dropped, and upon return I dug out
my all-plastic cycling gloves and washed the cotton-and-leather
weight-lifting gloves to be put away for the winter.

Also took the rosemary plant in.

When I stopped at the nursery, they were hauling cartloads of plants
into the greenhouses.

Old October 18th 15, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

Well, I'm not in South Africa or Australia but here in Bangkok it is
the end of the rainy season and time to start slathering on the sun
screen to avoid sun burn, Not a cloud in the sky today and the
temperature was a cool 32 degrees (C) :-)

Wikipedia's description of your climate strongly suggests that you
don't even *own* any winter woollies!

Not any more although the second job I had after I came back to Asia
was at a copper mine in Irian Jaya, as it was known then, The base
camp was at about 8,000 feet above sea level and the mine where we
worked was a thousand feet higher and it rained every day. Try to buy
cold weather gear in Bangkok, Singapore, Indonesia, or N.T.,
Australia,

And worse, no one ever said anything about working at 10,000 feet. The
warmest piece of clothing I had was a rubber rain suit :-)

Old October 18th 15, 03:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/17/2015 11:19 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Mite nippier today.

Yesterday, for the first time this season, snow was falling as I rode.

:-(

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 18th 15, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Chaplin

Frank Krygowski wrote in news:n008mu$go0$2@dont-
email.me:

On 10/17/2015 11:19 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Mite nippier today.

Yesterday, for the first time this season, snow was falling as I rode.

:-(

It was the same in Ottawa. It's about 0C and sunny at the moment, but not
sunny enough even to warm the cockles of your heart. I am headed to
www.mec.ca to get some shoe covers, it's going to get wet before it gets
icy.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old October 19th 15, 01:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_3_]

On 18/10/2015 11:18 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote in news:n008mu$go0$2@dont-
email.me:

On 10/17/2015 11:19 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

Mite nippier today.

Yesterday, for the first time this season, snow was falling as I rode.

:-(

It was the same in Ottawa. It's about 0C and sunny at the moment, but not
sunny enough even to warm the cockles of your heart. I am headed to
www.mec.ca to get some shoe covers, it's going to get wet before it gets
icy.

-4 and icy this morning in Montreal. It's going to get wet this
afternoon with rain and 8C. Tricky time to dress for riding. At least
the wind seems to have died down some.

Bloomin' 'eck - fell off! [email protected] UK 19 December 10th 05 12:37 PM
she fell off Sandy Techniques 18 April 15th 05 03:54 PM
Fell off Brian Drury UK 99 December 14th 04 11:00 PM
I FELL OFF MY BIKE! Blair P. Houghton General 25 September 30th 04 04:08 AM
Fell off Alan UK 4 January 6th 04 10:25 PM