Danger! Danger!

Old October 4th 15, 09:48 PM
bradallen226 bradallen226 is offline
Junior Member

Location: United States

Nowadays I tie factors on using a duration of old inner pipe. There always
seems to be a lot of that to go around.

Electric Bicycle

Last edited by bradallen226 : October 7th 15 at 06:44 PM.
Old October 20th 15, 03:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

Default Danger! Danger!

,,,cord injury. As she was stretching one to tie down her
sleeping bag, it slipped and hit her in the lip. She had a nice big
bubble in her lip for several days afterwards.

So I agree with the first three words of the sticker. The next sentence
is true, in the sense that bungees are one of a million things that CAN
cause severe injury. The rest is overkill.

Bungee's are a very low priority item.

When I was about 8 years old I fell out of a tree, I fell off a horse
once or twice, my brother had a ram sheep knock him down several times
before he could get out of the barnyard, my cousin fell on a pitch
fork and drove a tine through his calf. My mother caught her hand in a
clothes wringer".

Hot Damn! Life is just full of dangers.

(Why doesn't the government Do Something)

Oh, but it is! It's spreading "Danger! Danger!" warnings!

Those things should have warnings on them. I had one fall into the
gears and they came to a (grinding) halt and I went flying. I use
them on the bike only with very careful attention. I've had other
people tell me that similar things happened to them while using bungie
cords on a bike.
Old October 20th 15, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 07:08:03 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Sun, 30 Aug 2015 09:50:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/30/2015 2:29 AM, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2015 20:13:54 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 8/27/2015 10:41 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I stopped at a garage sale on the way to the tomato festival,

Ah. Some friends and I provided music for a tomato festival today.

and I
filled up my cooler at the festival, so when I stopped at Aldi's on
the way home, I had to take some back-up bungees out of storage to get
all my groceries attached.

After everything was battened down, I noticed a tag fluttering from
one of the new bungees and ripped it off.

It reads:

---------------------

Stretch cord carefully. Uncontrolled release can cause severe injury
to unprotected body parts, particularly eyes.

Maximum stretch-length 50% of unstretched cord. Overstretching cord
can cause hook failure, resulting in sudden, uncontrolled release.
Wear safety glasses when attaching and releasing.

---------------------

Man, I don't even *own* a pair of safety glasses! What a daredevil
I've been all these years.

Note that it never mentioned the danger in failing to attach all
hooks. A dangling bungee can catch in your spokes, which will wreck
the bungee, wreck the wheel, or send you over the handlebars.

FWIW: When my wife, daughter and I rode coast to coast some years back,
we had only two minor injuries, IIRC. Both were my daughter's.

One was a bungee cord injury. As she was stretching one to tie down her
sleeping bag, it slipped and hit her in the lip. She had a nice big
bubble in her lip for several days afterwards.

So I agree with the first three words of the sticker. The next sentence
is true, in the sense that bungees are one of a million things that CAN
cause severe injury. The rest is overkill.

Bungee's are a very low priority item.

When I was about 8 years old I fell out of a tree, I fell off a horse
once or twice, my brother had a ram sheep knock him down several times
before he could get out of the barnyard, my cousin fell on a pitch
fork and drove a tine through his calf. My mother caught her hand in a
clothes wringer".

Hot Damn! Life is just full of dangers.

(Why doesn't the government Do Something)

Oh, but it is! It's spreading "Danger! Danger!" warnings!

It seemingly defeats Darwin's theory as we now, apparently, have
survival of the un-fittest :-)

Yup, innovation does protect those who would have been wiped out of
the gene pool. Like eye glasses. Now folks who would have been walking
in front of bikes and cars can see them coming. No fair.
Old October 20th 15, 04:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On Tue, 1 Sep 2015 08:47:49 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 31/08/2015 7:13 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 09:55:33 -0400, Duane
wrote:

On 27/08/2015 10:41 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I stopped at a garage sale on the way to the tomato festival, and I
[...]

On the other hand, sometime it pays to pay attention to warnings. I
recently replaced my CO2 gizmo (I know, pretty technical term) and on a
ride I used it to fill someone's tube after a flat. It wasn't depleted
so I put it back in my bag with the CO2 cannister still attached
thinking that maybe he would need more later. Anyway, he didn't and the
next morning before going out on my ride I remember it and wanted to
remove the cannister. On my older one, I would just unscrew it. On
this one, when I did that it was like a pistol shot. The internals flew
out of the thing like a bullet. I was lucky that it flew away from me.
When I brought it back to the shop, they replaced it but I looked at
the fine print on the instructions and they warned to release the
pressure fully before disengaging. Sometime Danger! Danger! is real and
one should take precautions. Hmm. Maybe that's an object lesson.

In other words, you didn't bother to "read the manual" and were
rewarded for your efforts. That is hardly a description of a
"dangerous,dangerous" situation.

--
cheers,

What manual? It was a warning on the instruction sheet written in 2
point fonts. But thanks for pointing out what I already said. Isn't
that what the OP posted - that she was not believing what the warning
said? I'm just saying it pays to read it.

And it's good that it's there. The fact the lawyers have everyone
covering thei asses by putting warnings on everything have diluted the
things that really need warnings.

Old October 20th 15, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 10/19/2015 10:56 PM, dgk wrote:

Those things [bungee cords] should have warnings on them. I had one fall into the
gears and they came to a (grinding) halt and I went flying. I use
them on the bike only with very careful attention. I've had other
people tell me that similar things happened to them while using bungie
cords on a bike.

I can visualize a CPSC-mandated, bungee-proof bike. Disk wheel covers
front and back, wide fenders to direct falling bungees away from the
wheels, plus full chainguards so the bungee has nothing to snag on. Oh,
and breakaway hooks on the bungees, plus tension limits on the cord
itself.

Nothing but the fenders would work very well, but it would be safe.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old October 20th 15, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Yup, but we need to expand the program.... perhaps a new law that all
motor vehicle operators must wear glasses, as the standard excuse
after running over a cyclists is, "Oh! I didn't see him".
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 20th 15, 12:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 23:29:59 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/19/2015 10:56 PM, dgk wrote:

Those things [bungee cords] should have warnings on them. I had one fall into the
gears and they came to a (grinding) halt and I went flying. I use
them on the bike only with very careful attention. I've had other
people tell me that similar things happened to them while using bungie
cords on a bike.

I can visualize a CPSC-mandated, bungee-proof bike. Disk wheel covers
front and back, wide fenders to direct falling bungees away from the
wheels, plus full chainguards so the bungee has nothing to snag on. Oh,
and breakaway hooks on the bungees, plus tension limits on the cord
itself.

Nothing but the fenders would work very well, but it would be safe.

Removing the wheels from the bike will also solve the problem :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old October 21st 15, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I like it!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 12th 15, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
The Real Bev[_2_]

wrote:

On 10/19/2015 10:56 PM, dgk wrote:

Those things [bungee cords] should have warnings on them. I had one fall into the
gears and they came to a (grinding) halt and I went flying. I use
them on the bike only with very careful attention. I've had other
people tell me that similar things happened to them while using bungie
cords on a bike.

I can visualize a CPSC-mandated, bungee-proof bike. Disk wheel covers
front and back, wide fenders to direct falling bungees away from the
wheels, plus full chainguards so the bungee has nothing to snag on. Oh,
and breakaway hooks on the bungees, plus tension limits on the cord
itself.

Nothing but the fenders would work very well, but it would be safe.

Removing the wheels from the bike will also solve the problem :-)

WRONG. The bike could still damage the car that ran over it. A little
kid could trip over it and fracture useful bones. Someone might steal
it and be shot in the act by someone being a good citizen.

--
Cheers, Bev
Do not try to solve all life's problems at once -- learn to
Old November 13th 15, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John B.[_6_]

wrote:

[...]

Not wrong. Removing the wheels from the bike converts a transportation
device into a lawn ornament :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Danger! Danger! in PDX jbeattie Techniques 3 May 14th 15 11:07 AM
London "Danger! Danger!" Frank Krygowski[_2_] Techniques 66 December 19th 13 02:21 AM
Danger Danger! Graham Techniques 161 December 3rd 13 10:11 PM
Danger! Danger! (Worst liability waiver?) [email protected] General 16 February 12th 08 09:18 AM
DO NOT WEAR YOUR HELMLET!! DANGER, DANGER, danger TJ Mountain Biking 4 December 23rd 06 07:03 PM