O/T: knots

Old February 24th 16, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
W. Wesley Groleau

Default O/T: knots

On 12-20-2015 00:41, Frank Krygowski wrote:
So I made my way by dead reckoning over very minor country lanes. I was
interested to note that I was navigating - or at least, confirming my
direction - by looking at the stars. First time in a long time!

When I awoke in the Ozarks to find that my son had ignored my
instructions to "keep the blue dot on the purple line," with no cell or
WiFi to get another route (and clouds hiding the stars), we had to use
the compass to pick the northernmost route at each intersection.

--
Wes Groleau
Old February 24th 16, 06:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
W. Wesley Groleau

On 12-11-2015 20:25, John B. wrote:
A modern sailor, for example uses one or two (disregarding one's dress
shoes) the square knot and a bowline.

That was not true when I left the Navy in 1984. But I guess that means
I'm not a "modern" sailor.

--
Wes Groleau
Old February 24th 16, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
W. Wesley Groleau

On 12-20-2015 05:50, John B. wrote:
The U.S. navel Academy stopped teaching celestial navigation nearly 20
years ago stating that while celestial was accurate to a 3 mile radius
that GPS was accurate to a 60 ft. radius.

GPS is accurate to ten meters (better with recent extensions) if the
signals are not blocked. But when I left the Navy, we were still using
LORAN, sightings, and dead reckoning; though GPS was available (without
SA blurring).

--
Wes Groleau
Old February 24th 16, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
W. Wesley Groleau

On 12-11-2015 22:19, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 11 Dec 2015 15:53:09 -0800
wrote:

Anyway, I'm looking for a 'most useful' list

[snip nice list].

I also use a taut-line hitch a LOT.

--
Wes Groleau
Old February 24th 16, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
W. Wesley Groleau

On 12-15-2015 19:58, Joy Beeson wrote:
As taught to me, the taut-line hitch was intended to fasten a rope to
a tent peg. That situation doesn't come up very often.

I use it a lot for clotheslines and shipping things, but my tent works
without ropes.

--
Wes Groleau
Old February 25th 16, 07:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
W. Wesley Groleau

On 02-24-2016 12:30, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 12-20-2015 00:41, Frank Krygowski wrote:
So I made my way by dead reckoning over very minor country lanes. I was
interested to note that I was navigating - or at least, confirming my
direction - by looking at the stars. First time in a long time!

When I awoke in the Ozarks to find that my son had ignored my
instructions to "keep the blue dot on the purple line," with no cell or
WiFi to get another route (and clouds hiding the stars), we had to use
the compass to pick the northernmost route at each intersection.

And considering how a compass works, had to get out of the car and walk
a few feet away.

--
Wes Groleau