StarPerú DESTROYED the bicycle

Old March 5th 16, 11:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joerg[_2_]

Default StarPerú DESTROYED the bicycle

On 2016-02-28 12:47, Phil W Lee wrote:
Joerg considered Sat, 27 Feb 2016
16:51:23 -0800 the perfect time to write:

On 2016-02-24 22:40, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

Either they drove over it with a heavy vehicle or someone else's luggage
is severely damaged from being pressed that hard into my Brompton.

Or the "union toss".

My wife, daughter and I did a 3 week (plus) tour of Ireland back in the
1990s. I definitely wanted to take our bikes, so I procured bike boxes
and did the disassembly to get bikes and bags to fit. The boxes were
prominently marked "FRAGILE" and "THIS END UP."

We arrived jetlagged at Dublin's airport, and got to watch the luggage
truck bringing everyone's bags to the terminal. Our three bikes were
stacked flat, one on top of another, on the roof of the truck's cab. So
much for "THIS END UP."

Then we saw a worker open a door to the cab, stand on the door sill and
push the boxes off the roof. One after another, they landed on the
small end of the boxes. So much for "FRAGILE."

That's one type of union toss. I've once seen my stuff being chucked out
of an airliner right onto the tarmac ... THWACK.

I don't think airline luggage handlers get any bonuses for being gentle.

They are unionized so can't be fired, and they know it. I've had the
same with UPS where a guy tossed shipments over the backyard gate onto
our concrete basketball court. One package was an expensive piece of
equipment. During a serious conversation with a manager it turned out
that disciplining those guys is not very easy because there is a union.
So I use Fedex for my shipments. Now that's not to diss UPS drivers in
general as there are definitely nice ones, including for our
neighborhood. But this union protection goes way too far, so I "voted
with my feet".

Dublin Airport was nice enough to have bike assembly stations right
there, including some tools, although I used the ones I had brought. But
I was amazed to find that the bikes were not damaged.

Nice. I never saw such an assembly station.

If you can see it, you can film it, and certainly here, most unions
will not and cannot protect a worker from being fired following a
criminal offence (criminal damage) especially if they work in a secure
environment (as airside at any airport is supposed to be).

Here teachers can do very crazy stuff and all they have to fear is
something like a brief suspension. With pay!

Filming can't be done. One time we heard our dogs bark and then
thud-kawomp-crunch. Another time one of us saw a guy toss a package but
you cannot get the camera out of the nightstand down in the bedroom in
500 milliseconds. Front door cameras catch them though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0Z1NljyA1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoGtwGl0eXA

Some don't seem to even care about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEzg-hlopIo

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 6th 16, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
W. Wesley Groleau

On 2016-02-28 10:37, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 02-27-2016 19:51, Joerg wrote:
That's one type of union toss. I've once seen my stuff being chucked out
of an airliner right onto the tarmac ... THWACK.

On one flight, they demanded a gate check of my backpack. I removed my
computer first. Instead of sliding it onto the roller-ramp through the
hole designed for that purpose, he picked up over the rail and dropped
it four feet.

I hope you reported that employee.

"Hey, I just saw someone drop a backpack more than a meter!"
"Who?"
"I don't know his name; the guy picking up the gate checks."
"Well, we can't do much without a name, but I'll pass it on."

And no doubt the result was a pep talk about as meaningful as the one
about camp rules in the movie Meatballs.

How many times has some TV show "exposed" this sort of behavior? Has it
stopped happening?

--
Wes Groleau
Old March 6th 16, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-02-28 10:37, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
[...]

When something similar happened at a hotel (they actually threw
something in the trash and it was gone) I did not give up and had that
escalated quite far. Later I received an international phone call and
upon inquiring whether they made sure that the guy won't do it again the
HR person said "He certainly can't since he now no longer works for us".

Old March 27th 16, 05:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
W. Wesley Groleau

Default Rentals in Spain?

On 03-04-2016 19:37, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
Anyone know about rentals in Pamplona? Or price of a used one in
tolerable condition? Will be going from Pamplona to Zamora, mostly on
the Camino de Santiago, 25 to 40 kilometers per day. (Maybe more.)

OR, in Barcelona? Plane to Barcelona, then have five hours before the
train to Pamplona.

Or anywhere else along the Camino de Santiago:
Estella, Los Arcos, Viana, Logroño, etc.

--
Wes Groleau
Old March 30th 16, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
W. Wesley Groleau

On 03-26-2016 23:09, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 03-04-2016 19:37, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
Anyone know about rentals in Pamplona? Or price of a used one in
tolerable condition? Will be going from Pamplona to Zamora, mostly on
the Camino de Santiago, 25 to 40 kilometers per day. (Maybe more.)

OR, in Barcelona? Plane to Barcelona, then have five hours before the
train to Pamplona.

Or anywhere else along the Camino de Santiago:
Estella, Los Arcos, Viana, Logroño, etc.

NICE bike. But €325 for two weeks ... probably not going to do it.
Found an advert for a used MTB in Barcelona for €45. That's a go,
provided the condition is decent and it's still there when I get there.

--
Wes Groleau
Old March 30th 16, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
W. Wesley Groleau

On 03-30-2016 11:36, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 03-26-2016 23:09, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
On 03-04-2016 19:37, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
Anyone know about rentals in Pamplona? Or price of a used one in
tolerable condition? Will be going from Pamplona to Zamora, mostly on
the Camino de Santiago, 25 to 40 kilometers per day. (Maybe more.)

OR, in Barcelona? Plane to Barcelona, then have five hours before the
train to Pamplona.

Or anywhere else along the Camino de Santiago:
Estella, Los Arcos, Viana, Logroño, etc.

NICE bike. But €325 for two weeks ... probably not going to do it.
Found an advert for a used MTB in Barcelona for €45. That's a go,
provided the condition is decent and it's still there when I get there.

oops. I thought I had pasted the URI
http://www.bicigrino.info/tienda_virtual/es/home/1082-alquiler-bicicleta-camino-santiago.html#/talla-15

--
Wes Groleau

not yet destroyed Bart Racing 8 May 28th 09 12:52 PM
Cranks destroyed kington99 Unicycling 0 May 24th 08 08:47 AM
Cranks destroyed Universal Unicorn Unicycling 0 May 23rd 08 08:40 PM
Cranks destroyed Brian O. Unicycling 2 May 22nd 08 03:46 AM
Mountain Bikers Angry About Their Illegal Jump Being Destroyed (was They destroyed our jump spot :() spademan o---[\) * Social Issues 19 August 27th 04 03:05 AM