Belt drive

Old April 13th 19, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]

Default Belt drive

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 8:45:25 PM UTC-5, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 19:19:22 -0500, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/12/2019 6:37 PM, John B. wrote:
On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 16:07:53 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 9:27:51 AM UTC-5, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he is building.
What is good about them? You have to have the exact length for your
bike, and if it breaks, it is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

-- Dieter Britz

Go over to YouTube and do a search on Gates Belt Drive. A number of
videos will appear that talks about bikes with this drive system and
usually Rohloff or Pinion gear boxes.

There was a guy at a marina where I kept my boat that had an aluminum
single speed bike with a belt drive. It apparently worked great, he
parked it on the dock next to his boat and it was there for years and
years with no apparent maintenance what so ever. A chain drive would
have been rusted itself into one solid chunk in that period :-)

Was that the Bridgestone OPC14 with V Belt drive?
I sold those . Nicely done, great price, no complaints.

Wild looking thing:

https://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone...e-opc-14b.html

It says that little bike weighed 29 pounds! I know the belt drive did not add that much. Did the bell and basket add all the extra tonnage?
Old April 13th 19, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

--
Dieter Britz

Go over to YouTube and do a search on Gates Belt Drive. A number of videos will appear that talks about bikes with this drive system and usually Rohloff or Pinion gear boxes.

There was a guy at a marina where I kept my boat that had an aluminum
single speed bike with a belt drive. It apparently worked great, he
parked it on the dock next to his boat and it was there for years and
years with no apparent maintenance what so ever. A chain drive would
have been rusted itself into one solid chunk in that period :-)

Was that the Bridgestone OPC14 with V Belt drive?
I sold those . Nicely done, great price, no complaints.

I don't know. I did noticed that it was a "notched" Vee belt although
I don't think that the pulleys were notched and it was not a fixie and
had brakes fore and aft.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 13th 19, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 12/04/2019 16:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Clean, quiet, lighter, maintenance free. You'll need to break the frame
somehow (or a split belt. Anyone used one?) and you'll need either
horizontal dropouts or a eccentric bottom bracket, they have quie a bit
of tension.

For a commuter, with a decent frame, I'd go that way now, for just about
any other application I'd stick with a chain.
Old April 13th 19, 12:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]

On Saturday, April 13, 2019 at 9:52:22 AM UTC+2, Tosspot wrote:
On 12/04/2019 16:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Clean, quiet, lighter, maintenance free. You'll need to break the frame
somehow (or a split belt. Anyone used one?) and you'll need either
horizontal dropouts or a eccentric bottom bracket, they have quie a bit
of tension.

For a commuter, with a decent frame, I'd go that way now, for just about
any other application I'd stick with a chain.

+1 Something like this:

https://www.rosebikes.nl/rose-black-...-heren-2676774

Lou
Old April 16th 19, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2019-04-12 07:27, db wrote:
My son is set on getting a belt drive for the bike he
is building. What is good about them? You have to have
the exact length for your bike, and if it breaks, it
is very expensive to replace.

So, why?

Dad gave him too much money :-)

Now, a shaft drive, that would be great.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

What is the case with belt drive? Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 62 October 27th 09 07:42 AM
Belt Drive Arrives Leo Lichtman[_2_] Techniques 1 November 21st 08 11:40 PM
Belt drive parts hhu Techniques 0 January 30th 05 09:26 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Mountain Biking 23 November 18th 04 09:53 PM
SS Belt Drive? supabonbon Techniques 39 November 18th 04 09:53 PM