Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

Old May 19th 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Ken Kifer's Murderer Still Behind Bars

Bob wrote:
All I'd add is that I wish the
entertainers/social critics on both the left and the right apply the
same concepts. Of course, what I'd really like is if all of them-
Limbaugh, Mahr, O'Reilly, Franken, et al- would just close their mouths
until they open their minds but that's asking too much.

You know this, but ... it's a gig. They're making heaps of ca$h. End
of story.

There are rumors (worth exactly that) that folks who've met Rush, for
example, in social settings have come away with the distinct impression
that he is FAR more moderate than his on-air personality.

True? Who the heck knows (maybe Daryn Kagan?) ... but I wouldn't be
surprised.

My take on all of this extreme media personalities as icons stuff--as
in the war on drugs, the war on illegal immigration, most of these
issues: go after demand, not supply.

[Daryn Kagan?? Sheesh.....]

Old May 19th 06, 09:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

do we need any kind of media "personalities"?, it seems they seem to
project a holier than thou image of ego and self proclaimed power.

The spin they choose drives an agenda that we cannot really discern
through the waffle...I see this occurs across all media.

If we had no spin, just facts, music, ...no embellishment or editorial
policy pitch..then I might listen and or even buy papers again...

It may spoil a good "story" if we just got the facts...might even allow
the truth to out......but we could at least have one less corporate
interest driving our community consience...TMHO

bicyle bicycle bicylce ...and Ken Kifer is legendary in my memory( just
to stay onT)

--
rooman

Old May 20th 06, 02:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

rooman wrote:

If we had no spin, just facts, music, ...no embellishment or editorial
policy pitch..then I might listen and or even buy papers again...

Maybe it's the retro-grouch in me, but I think it's important to read
newspapers. I don't devote hours and hours to current events, but I do
read one daily and a couple local weekly papers, in addition to reading
at least one weekly news magazine, hearing some radio news and seeing a
little on TV.

I'll admit, a good friend of mine is a newspaper publisher, so perhaps
I'm a bit biased - but I've been relying on newspapers for decades.
Sure, there's bias, but a good paper will have op-ed writers in
addition to its own editorials. Ours takes pains to have writers
expressing views from both sides of an issue. It gives one a good
opportunity to see who's making more sense - at least, if the reader
isn't blinded by his own bias.

As my friend pointed out, his newspaper's brought down corrupt local
politicians. I don't think television can do that as well. I don't
think they devote the money to patient investigative reporting.

It's interesting to me that when TV evening news decides to really do
up a story big, they give it a whole 30 seconds. Newspapers default to
at least ten times that much information.

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 20th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

(Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

but the truth is, i've become more and more weary of his spouting
dittohead untruths and stereotypes.

Most people don't realize how funny the whole "dittohead" concept
is... that the irony of Rush Limbaugh (who I very, very seldom listen
to, BTW) was actually created to mock those who can't imagine getting
their news from a source they might disagree with (in his case, he was
referencing the mainstream media). The whole schtick was based around
his claim that his audience didn't need to think, since he, as the
newscaster would do that for them. It was obvious parody of the "gods
of the network news", and really pretty funny stuff, IMHO.

Nonetheless, I'd be very interested to learn what factual inaccuracies
I've posted. I don't doubt that it's happened, but I do try very hard
to stay within factual boundaries. Often, that doesn't line up with
impressions some have gotten elsewhere, but very seldom does anyone
successfully point out any "untruths". It's happened in the past when
I've gotten the details wrong, or got the wires crossed between a
couple different issues (I blame the concussion). ;-)

most so called liberals i
know are activists against drunk driving, some are active members
of MADD, not defenders of idiots like the guy that killed kifer.

The same liberals who were aghast that GWB might have been a bit of a
party boy in college suddenly go silent when a Senator (son of an
unnamed senior Senator from a northeastern state) gets popped after
wrecking his car, staggering out and being whisked away by senior
police officials before a breathalyzer test could be done by the
policemen on the scene. And it's hardly the first issue the Senator
or his father have had (including the fabled drive off the bridge
resulting in the suspcious death of his companion). So I think it's
safe to say that some liberals (the majority of MA residents) support,
and even re-elect "idiots like the guy that killed kifer".

That's not to say I think all liberals are pro-drunk driving... of
course not. I just think this country has a problem with its "blame
the victim" mentality. And while my original post was largely
hyperbole, I would like to see a return to the concept of personal
responsibility for our actions...

imho, first offense should be a year revocation and 30 days in
jail, second, 10 years revocation and a year in jail, and for a
third offense, 10 years in jail and lifetime revocation. of
course if the drunk driver kills someone they should be charged
with second degree murder unless they are driving without a
license, in which case they should be charged with 1st degree
murder.

.... like that. I don't think we'd disagree much on our opinion of
what to do with drunk drivers at all.

But if you really think that I'm a crazed right wing lunatic, ask 100
people these questions:

1) Do you think people take enough personal responsibility for their
actions?
2) Do you think our society has a tendency to often "blame the victim"
rather than the criminal?
3) Do you think that criminals are too often coddled, glorified or
forgiven in our society?

If you really think you're only going to get positive responses from a
small fringe group of "us lunatics", I think you'll be shocked beyond
words if you actually start asking people those questions. Then
you'll be faced with the unsavory choice of determining you live in a
world populated largely by "right wingnut lunatics", or that perhaps
I'm not so unusual after all.

i know a lot of "liberal" cyclists who call in drunk drivers with
their cell phones all the time, just like i do, so hickey's rant
about stereotyped "liberals" is just a bunch of right wingnut
propaganda.

Your sensors are set just a touch sensitive, IMHO. If my original
post qualified as a "rant" and "bunch of right wingnut propaganda", I
can't even begin to imagine what Ann Coulter does to your
sensibilities! ;-)

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old May 20th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

wrote:

We need radio personalities that responsibly control their druggie
tendencies, instead of fueling the illicit drug market, then using
their influence to get little slaps on the wrist.

Does that apply to Senators, Frank?

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old May 20th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 19 May 2006 20:45:20 -0700, Mark Hickey
wrote:

Nonetheless, I'd be very interested to learn what factual inaccuracies
I've posted. I don't doubt that it's happened, but I do try very hard
to stay within factual boundaries. Often, that doesn't line up with
impressions some have gotten elsewhere, but very seldom does anyone
successfully point out any "untruths". It's happened in the past when
I've gotten the details wrong, or got the wires crossed between a
couple different issues (I blame the concussion). ;-)

You mean like referring to the son of a famous Democratic Senator from
MA as a Senator, rather than a Congressman? ;-)