re-coating tire sidewalls

Old September 11th 16, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default re-coating tire sidewalls

As mentioned, I'm resurrecting a bike for a friend. He was forced (very
unjustly) into retirement, and I'm trying to save him some money.

I've got some old Michelin Select tires that have been in storage for
perhaps 15 years. They have almost zero miles on them and in perfect
condition, except the gum sidewalls are dry and cracked, exposing the
fabric.

Sheldon says, under "Dry rot" in his glossary at
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_dr-z.html : "Generally, if a tire isn't
lumpy/misshapen when inflated, and has not had the tread area worn too
thin, there is no reason to replace it, no matter how ugly the sidewalls
get."

ISTR mention of a coating that could be brushed on to help with the
aesthetics of the situation. Does anyone recall what that might be, and
where to get it?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 11th 16, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Frank Krygowski wrote in news:nr3nca$q4t$1@dont-
email.me:

As mentioned, I'm resurrecting a bike for a friend. He was forced (very
unjustly) into retirement, and I'm trying to save him some money.

I've got some old Michelin Select tires that have been in storage for
perhaps 15 years. They have almost zero miles on them and in perfect
condition, except the gum sidewalls are dry and cracked, exposing the
fabric.

Sheldon says, under "Dry rot" in his glossary at
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_dr-z.html : "Generally, if a tire isn't
lumpy/misshapen when inflated, and has not had the tread area worn too
thin, there is no reason to replace it, no matter how ugly the sidewalls
get."

ISTR mention of a coating that could be brushed on to help with the
aesthetics of the situation. Does anyone recall what that might be, and
where to get it?

I would suggest tire cleaner or dressing such as Armorall or AutoGlym, but
the manufacturers say "not for cycle tires."

Crossposted to RBT since the engineers there are likely to weigh in with
more sage advice than I can offer.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old September 11th 16, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/11/2016 10:12 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
[...]

use a latex emulsion such as Orange Seal. That's what your
tire was coated with before it dessicated from
age/heat/UV/ozone.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Tire Pressure and Sidewalls Joe Riel Techniques 126 March 31st 16 02:16 AM
powder coating x1psh1x Unicycling 8 March 27th 06 06:22 PM
Tan sidewalls deteriorate faster than all-black sidewalls? Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 12 October 19th 05 03:38 PM
Cleaning Glue off of Tire Sidewalls? [email protected] Techniques 47 August 2nd 05 07:59 AM
weakening sidewalls by taking off and putting back a lot? wle Techniques 2 November 30th 04 12:15 AM