Police hunt another thieving cyclist

Old September 8th 16, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Police hunt another thieving cyclist

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/cyclis...ail/story.html
Old September 9th 16, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 09/09/2016 09:43, Aubrey Straw wrote:
MrCheerful wrote:

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/cyclis...ail/story.html

What makes you say that police are hunting a thief? The report says they are
hunting a man in connection with an assault - no mention is made of a theft.
A cyclist assaulted a driver, presumably by reaching into a car window and
grabbing his glasses. But we are not told if the glasses were even dislodged
from the driver's face let alone removed from the car. Going by your post's
subject, however, you would have us believe that the driver has had his
glasses stolen. All somewhat misleading, wouldn't you say?

One also wonders what prompted the cyclist to behave in such a way. It
sounds like he was trying to make a point that the man was not fit to
drive.

A bit like the one where someone reaches into a car and takes the keys
before throwing the away.
Old September 9th 16, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

..

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...des-off-235350
Old September 9th 16, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

.

A bit like the one where someone reaches into a car and takes the keys
before throwing the away.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...des-off-235350

) I liked the Alan Partridge comparison.

Old September 9th 16, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

On Friday, 9 September 2016 11:08:47 UTC+1, Nick wrote:
On 09/09/2016 10:49, Alycidon wrote:
On Friday, 9 September 2016 10:08:12 UTC+1, Nick wrote:
.

A bit like the one where someone reaches into a car and takes the keys
before throwing the away.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/...des-off-235350

) I liked the Alan Partridge comparison.

"Riding a black and red racing bike and wearing a black cycling top”

I'm sure if that was said in court, the cyclist would be deemed invisible.

Old September 9th 16, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

Default Police hunt violent cyclist after assault on man with glasses.

MrCheerful wrote:

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/cyclis...ail/story.html

What makes you say that police are hunting a thief? The report says they are
hunting a man in connection with an assault - no mention is made of a theft.
A cyclist assaulted a driver, presumably by reaching into a car window and
grabbing his glasses. But we are not told if the glasses were even dislodged
from the driver's face let alone removed from the car. Going by your post's
subject, however, you would have us believe that the driver has had his
glasses stolen. All somewhat misleading, wouldn't you say?

Absolutely right, I have changed the thread title to reflect your
observations.
Old September 9th 16, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MrCheerful

MrCheerful wrote:

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/cyclis...ail/story.html

What makes you say that police are hunting a thief? The report says they are
hunting a man in connection with an assault - no mention is made of a theft.
A cyclist assaulted a driver, presumably by reaching into a car window and
grabbing his glasses. But we are not told if the glasses were even dislodged
from the driver's face let alone removed from the car. Going by your post's
subject, however, you would have us believe that the driver has had his
glasses stolen. All somewhat misleading, wouldn't you say?

Absolutely right, I have changed the thread title to reflect your
observations.

All I know is what I read in the link you gave. You, on the other hand,
seem... inspired.

You really should take all the credit for your vivid imagination and your
flair for adjectives. I am in awe of your expertise in keeping this
newsgroup both involved and entertained.

I wonder why people use the term 'smash and grab' ? Quite clearly
nothing is stolen, merely touched, what is the point, I wonder in people
going around smashing and grabbing if they do not profit from it in some
way.
Old September 9th 16, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

MrCheerful wrote:

[...]

I wonder who used the term 'smash and grab'
Old September 9th 16, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

MrCheerful wrote:

http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/cyclis...ail/story.html

What makes you say that police are hunting a thief? The report says they are
hunting a man in connection with an assault - no mention is made of a theft.
A cyclist assaulted a driver, presumably by reaching into a car window and
grabbing his glasses. But we are not told if the glasses were even dislodged
from the driver's face let alone removed from the car. Going by your post's
subject, however, you would have us believe that the driver has had his
glasses stolen. All somewhat misleading, wouldn't you say?

"Grabbed his glasses" is likely to mean taking them, surely?

It is possible - just - that it means something else, but surely even a
British local rag hack woud have described the incident differently in
such a case?
Old September 9th 16, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

MrCheerful wrote:

[...]

That's right: theft.

And arguably criminal damage to the vehicle (on a strict construction of
that offence).