Ontario Helmet Law being pushed through

Old November 5th 04, 06:11 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 16:26:31 GMT, Chris Phillipo
wrote:

When I see soemone without a helmet I an urked by it but when I see
soemone riding towards me on the wrong side of the road I can only think
that Darwinism sure takes a long time to kick in.

When I see someone else riding without a helmet I think :Good, one
less to be counted as a stealth vote for compulsion. The only reason
we don't have a id law now is that wearing rates are so low it would
be unenforceable.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old November 5th 04, 06:34 PM
Frank Krygowski

Chris Phillipo wrote:

When I see soemone without a helmet I an urked [sic] by it...

Why on earth?

When I see someone riding without a helmet, I think "Cool - there's
someone riding!"

Your post indicates the anti-bicyclist mindset of the helmet promoters.
You must actually feel that riding a bicycle does more harm than good!

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, remove rodent and vegetable dot com.
Substitute cc dot ysu dot

Old November 5th 04, 08:54 PM
Wayne Pein

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its
victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under
robber-barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber-
baron's cruelty may at some point be satiated; but those who
torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they
do so with the approval of their own conscience."

- C.S. Lewis

Wayne

Old November 5th 04, 10:01 PM
Maggie

Does cycling without a helmet really need to be be criminal?

Who are you hurting beside yourself if you choose not to wear a
helmet? What is the crime? I think children should wear helmets, but
adults should make their own choice. I rode on the back of a
motorcycle without a helmet. The laws were not enforced back then, but
I am glad my son wears one when he goes out on his motorcycle. It was
a choice. Stupid or not, it was our choice not to wear helmets. My son
must have one on or he will be pulled over. I am glad its not a choice
for him.
Old November 5th 04, 10:44 PM
Frank Krygowski

Chris Phillipo wrote:

Are you listening? I said ridership is UP not DOWN. His study is
flawed in it's collection methods.

IIRC, ridership is finally "up" in some other jurisdictions that
instituted helmet laws. But wait! It's "up" compared to what it was 10
years ago, when the laws were introduced. Does that mean the effect of
MHLs is to increase riding?

Hardly! The immediate effect of MHLs has been to reduce riding
significantly. Enforced MHLs have been shown to reduce riding by about
30%, and even more among certain age groups. Given enough time, other
changes _may_ lead to a recovery. For example, population growth may
eventually allow one to say "there are now more riders than before" -
but that doesn't mean there are more riders than there _would_ have been!

I'm curious how someone can believe a MHL increases ridership. In fact,
I'm curious how someone can believe it's neutral. Certainly, there will
be _some_ people who will say "If I'm forced to wear a helmet, I'm not
riding." Certainly there will be those who say "Damn, if it's so
dangerous they require a helmet, I don't want to do it at all!"

Where do you find people who say "Oh, I'm not allowed to ride without a
helmet, eh? Great! That makes me want to take up cycling!"

Old November 5th 04, 10:47 PM
Frank Krygowski

Maggie wrote:

Does cycling without a helmet really need to be be criminal?

Who are you hurting beside yourself if you choose not to wear a
helmet? What is the crime? I think children should wear helmets, but
adults should make their own choice.

I think parents should be allowed to make the choice for their children.

My kids are grown, but they _certainly_ did a lot of riding without bike
helmets. In fact, I assume _all_ of us did.

A parent is allowed to let his kid climb a tree without a helmet. He's
allowed to let his kid play pickup baseball without a helmet. He's
allowed to let his kid ride his pony without a helmet. In each of
these, and many other situations, the choice is reasonably left up to
the parent.

What in the world is so dangerous about cycling that justifies
overpowering parental judgement?