Proof that speed traps are only meant to be revenue generators

Old January 5th 11, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Ret.[_3_]

Default Proof that speed traps are only meant to be revenue generators

d wrote:
On Wed, 5 Jan 2011 16:25:35 -0000
"Les Hemmings" wrote:
Do they want to slow people down or are they after revenue? Well, if
you look at the way they do it in the US they drive a huge black &
white police car up and down the highway. Chrome, lights... the
whole bit! Just it's presence slows people down.

Thats because the US police apparently want to slow drivers down. The
UK police however are more interested in raising revenue from fines
and don't come along and bleat otherwise Kev unless you can give a
really good reason why you and your colleagues hide around corners
instead of being in plain sight.

I can give a very good reason. The main purpose of speed cameras is to deter
speeding. Although they have had a fair effect (there is far less 'serious'
speeding today than there has ever been IMO) - they would have been far more
effective if we hadn't had all this nonsense about painting them dayglo
yellow. There is also the issue that they only deter speeding in their
immediate vicinity - which is somewhat pointless. The aim should be to deter
speeding throughout speed limit areas.

The biggest deterrent is the fear of being caught. There is currently little
fear of being caught because most motorists believe (quite rightly) that so
long as they remain observant, they wont be caught out.

Let's just say that a technological means was devised that would
automatically detect if a driver exceeded a speed limit by more that 10% + 2
mph. How many drivers would exceed that margin? The answer is very very few
of course - because the certainty of detection would be all that is needed
to bring speeding to an end.

Using hidden cameras is not quite as effective as that - but it brings in a
degree of uncertainty. If a cameras is hidden - then, even if you are
observant, you may still get caught out. That degree of uncertainty is a
deterrent in itself.

I always keep my speed below the 10% + 2mph and therefore I couldn't give a
tinkers whether there were hidden cameras every 100 yards.

--
Kev

Old January 5th 11, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Ret.[_3_]

Les Hemmings wrote:
Derek C wrote:
A motorist has been prosecuted for warning other motorists of a
Police speed trap by flashing his headlamps. See:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

Do they want to slow people down or are they after revenue? Well, if
you look at the way they do it in the US they drive a huge black &
white police car up and down the highway. Chrome, lights... the whole
bit! Just it's presence slows people down.

Are you suggesting that they don't have speed cameras in the USA? Most of
the hand-held guns used in the UK are made in the States (or at least they
were when I was serving).

--
Kev

Old January 5th 11, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Ret.[_3_]

Phil Bradby wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:
But, to be honest I suspect he was giving it a lot of flashing.

To be honest, I suspect his real "crime" was daring to challenge the
insecure, self-important little hitler who pulled him over.

The really alarming thing is that this went all the way to court,
without *anyone* at *any stage* stopping to think about just how
****ing moronic their actions were.

Common sense, and common decency - RIP.

Would you consider it ok to tip off a burglar that the police were waiting
for him?

--
Kev

Old January 5th 11, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Rob

Ret. wrote:
|| Phil Bradby wrote:
||| To be honest, I suspect his real "crime" was daring to challenge the
||| insecure, self-important little hitler who pulled him over.
||| The really alarming thing is that this went all the way to court,
||| without *anyone* at *any stage* stopping to think about just how
||| ****ing moronic their actions were.
||| Common sense, and common decency - RIP.
|| Would you consider it ok to tip off a burglar that the police were
|| waiting for him?

Why choose burglar for your predictably inappropriate analogy, why not
serial child rapist / killer?

--
Rob

Old January 5th 11, 09:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

Old January 5th 11, 09:55 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_33_]

Old January 5th 11, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
DavidR[_2_]

"Ian Jackson" wrote
In message , Silk
"Derek C" wrote in message

A motorist has been prosecuted for warning other motorists of a Police
speed trap by flashing his headlamps.

Good thing I say. The HC is quite clear on the use of flashing headlights.

Why is it that some people can't mind their own business? As far as I'm
concerned, I'm responsible for my driving and no one else's and I don't
need any hints from some **** coming the other way.

Totally agree.

So if, just around the next corner, there had been a road accident, you
wouldn't appreciate it someone, coming toward you from the opposite
direction, flashed his lights in the hope of warning you that something
was amiss up ahead, and you should proceed with caution?

It might be useful for a genuine hazard. Good reason to discourage idiots
from flashing when there is no hazard.

Old January 5th 11, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Jan 5, 9:23*pm, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On 05/01/2011 09:03, Derek C wrote:

A motorist has been prosecuted for warning other motorists of a Police
speed trap by flashing his headlamps.

You'd feel right at home on the David Icke forums:
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1059571696.

Of course the AA were stopped form doing this a century ago, so it's not
exactly a surprise to find that warning criminals of enforcement action
is still considered a bit off.

They were still doing it in the 1950s when I was a small child and AA
and RAC patrol men still rode motorcycle combinations, rather than
vans.

Derek C

Old January 6th 11, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Nkosi (ama-ecosse)[_2_]

On Jan 5, 5:50*pm, "Silk" wrote:
?

"Ian Jackson" *wrote in messagenews
In message , Silk
writes

?

"Derek C" *wrote in message

A motorist has been prosecuted for warning other motorists of a Police
speed trap by flashing his headlamps.

Good thing I say. The HC is quite clear on the use of flashing headlights.

Why is it that some people can't mind their own business? As far as I'm
concerned, I'm responsible for my driving and no one else's and I don't
need any hints from some **** coming the other way.
So if, just around the next corner, there had been a road accident, you
wouldn't appreciate it someone, coming toward you from the opposite
direction, flashed his lights in the hope of warning you that something was
amiss up ahead, and you should proceed with caution?

I ALWAYS proceed with caution and make sure I can stop in the distance I can
see to be clear. All I can deduce from a headlight flash is that the other
driver has operated the switch. I suppose you just press on regardless in
the hope that someone heading in the opposite direction will alert you if
you are about to hit something, hmm?- Hide quoted text -

Christ the world's perfect driver, yeah right . **** you ****.

Nkosi
Old January 6th 11, 05:42 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_5_]

wrote:

On 05/01/2011 09:03, Derek C wrote:

A motorist has been prosecuted for warning other motorists of a Police
speed trap by flashing his headlamps.

You'd feel right at home on the David Icke forums:
http://www.davidicke.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1059571696.

Of course the AA were stopped form doing this a century ago, so it's not
exactly a surprise to find that warning criminals of enforcement action
is still considered a bit off.

They were still doing it in the 1950s when I was a small child and AA
and RAC patrol men still rode motorcycle combinations, rather than
vans.

Do you ever get fed up of being wrong? The AA were stopped from telling
drivers that speedtraps were present in about 1910, so they switched to
telling drivers that speed traps were not present, and it is that that
you remember.