Reading/posting on usenet rbm and rbt

Old March 21st 05, 02:08 AM
Joshua Lee

Default Reading/posting on usenet rbm and rbt

Hi folks,

Anyone understand well how the usenet works? I look at it in three ways
and can't figure out how the lag time works between when a new subject
has been posted and when it appears in different forums. More
specifically, I use outlook express with a news server, cyclingforums
and google. When I post using Outlook Express, I can't see it for
hours, if not a whole day, on the other two forums. I also know google
has a delay of minutes or sometimes hours compared to cyclingforums.
Can anyone shed some light on this? While you're at it, where is all
the info posted stored? Some University server?

Joshua

Old March 21st 05, 03:12 AM
Pete Biggs

Joshua Lee wrote:
Hi folks,

Anyone understand well how the usenet works? I look at it in three
ways and can't figure out how the lag time works between when a new
subject has been posted and when it appears in different forums. More
specifically, I use outlook express with a news server, cyclingforums
and google. When I post using Outlook Express, I can't see it for
hours, if not a whole day, on the other two forums. I also know google
has a delay of minutes or sometimes hours compared to cyclingforums.
Can anyone shed some light on this? While you're at it, where is all
the info posted stored? Some University server?

I can't answer all your questions, but the time it takes for a message to
appear after posting from Outlook Express depends on which news server you
use. (You don't have to use your ISP's). I'll post this and see how long
it takes with mine..... Back in a tick.

~PB

Old March 21st 05, 03:12 AM
Pete Biggs

.....Hello again, how's that? That was just a few seconds.

See http://news.individual.net

~PB

Old March 21st 05, 03:22 AM
Kenny

Go to:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...p=rec.bicycles
and use Google for all your posts and replies. I quit using my ISP's
news server because it would get too delete happy. There is almost time
delay.

Old March 21st 05, 03:25 AM
Kenny

"There is almost no tiime delay."

Old March 21st 05, 04:13 AM
Werehatrack

On 20 Mar 2005 18:08:33 -0800, "Joshua Lee"
may have said:

Hi folks,

Anyone understand well how the usenet works?

The Usenet that can be fully understood is not the true Usenet.

I look at it in three ways
and can't figure out how the lag time works between when a new subject
has been posted and when it appears in different forums.

That's because there are numerous factors which may speed or delay
propagation, and not all of them are visible to you.

More
specifically, I use outlook express with a news server, cyclingforums
and google. When I post using Outlook Express, I can't see it for
hours, if not a whole day, on the other two forums. I also know google
has a delay of minutes or sometimes hours compared to cyclingforums.
Can anyone shed some light on this? While you're at it, where is all
the info posted stored? Some University server?

Oboy.

Okay, first, there is no single central repository for Usenet traffic,
and indeed, there is no physical "thing" called Usenet; the articles
are just bits of information that are traded around between machines
on the Internet and off of it, and the server processes that store,
sort, catalog, fetch and forward those articles are each autonomous
and often disparate packages that run on the machines where their
administrators have placed them.

Each news server maintains its own cache of articles, grabbing fresh
ones from servers that it talks to, and making available those that it
has stored or which it has received from users, according to the
unique setiings that its administrator has configured.

If you look at the Path: line of a Usenet header, you'll see how many
hops the article in question made before it got to the server you use.
Each server in that path represents a propagation delay of anywhere
from milliseconds to hours. Two articles posted at identical times on
two different servers, even though the servers might be in close
physical proximity, could have propagation times to a third server
that could vary by a full day.

So, to answer what I believe is your unstated but central question,
the reason it seems random and unpredictable is that it *is* random
and unpredictable to a large extent.

Old March 21st 05, 04:30 AM

Werehatrack writes:

Okay, first, there is no single central repository for Usenet
traffic, and indeed, there is no physical "thing" called Usenet; the
articles are just bits of information that are traded around between
machines on the Internet and off of it, and the server processes
that store, sort, catalog, fetch and forward those articles are each
autonomous and often disparate packages that run on the machines
where their administrators have placed them.

Each news server maintains its own cache of articles, grabbing fresh
ones from servers that it talks to, and making available those that
it has stored or which it has received from users, according to the
unique settings that its administrator has configured.

If you look at the Path: line of a Usenet header, you'll see how
many hops the article in question made before it got to the server
you use. Each server in that path represents a propagation delay of
anywhere from milliseconds to hours. Two articles posted at
identical times on two different servers, even though the servers
might be in close physical proximity, could have propagation times
to a third server that could vary by a full day.

I find the path from your server (Earthlink) to mine (Sonic) a
classic of Usenet. No doubt that path is also variable.

individual.net!

From: Werehatrack

So, to answer what I believe is your unstated but central question,
the reason it seems random and unpredictable is that it *is* random
and unpredictable to a large extent.

I don't know why it chose to go via Germany but that may be because
traffic is low right now. I also fin interesting that Earthlink does
not appear on the chain, but then you may be posting from some other
place. Sonic is a great and fast connection for me and it supports
tin (a smart threaded news reader) with emacs that is designed to
format postings to newsgroups.

Old March 21st 05, 04:36 AM
Tom Sherman

may have said:

[...]

Next: Please explain the behavior of those who post to Usenet.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 21st 05, 04:40 AM
JeffWills

Tom Sherman wrote:

So, to answer what I believe is your unstated but central question,
the reason it seems random and unpredictable is that it *is* random
and unpredictable to a large extent.

Next: Please explain the behavior of those who post to Usenet.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Please don't.

Jeff Wills - upwind of Mt. St. Helens

From: Werehatrack

So, to answer what I believe is your unstated but central question,
the reason it seems random and unpredictable is that it *is* random
and unpredictable to a large extent.

I don't know why it chose to go via Germany but that may be because
traffic is low right now. I also fin interesting that Earthlink does
not appear on the chain, but then you may be posting from some other
place. Sonic is a great and fast connection for me and it supports
tin (a smart threaded news reader) with emacs that is designed to
format postings to newsgroups.

I suspect the path for my message looks much the same, since I am also
using news.individual.net which is a news feed provided by the Freie
Universität Berlin.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)