Research on the obvious

Old September 19th 08, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat[_2_]

Default Research on the obvious

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7624739.stm

"People living on streets with a lot of traffic have 75% fewer friends than
people in quieter areas according to research carried out in Bristol.
The University of the West of England (UWE) study claims people living on
busy roads experience a "considerable deterioration of local social lives".
Researcher Joshua Hart investigated three streets with light, medium and
heavy traffic.
UWE is recommending more investment in public transport, walking and
cycling."

"Mr Hart, who carried out the study as part of an MSc in transport planning,
said: "Many residents revealed that they experience sleep disturbances, no
longer spend time in the front of their homes, and curtail the independence
of their children in response to motor traffic.
"This study shows that the deterioration of neighbouring in this country may
well be down to our own travel habits."

No **** sherlock!

Old September 19th 08, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Sep 19, 6:10*pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
[...]

He studied three streets! That's what I call in depth research! This
sort of 'research' gives research a bad name. I would have thought
'more research was needed'.

Sniper8052
Old September 20th 08, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

"wafflycat" wrote in message
[...]

You might think it's too obvious to need researching, but it demonstrates to
our masters in a way difficult for them to refute, that too many cars are a
bad thing, for other reasons than the already accepted ones of death,
injury, global warming, local pollution etc etc. The volume of traffic is
fundamentally undermining society in ways that aren't appreciated. The only
other comparable research was done in San Francisco about 30 years ago, so
this was a subject that needed addressing and updating.

I was on the same MSc Transport Planning course as Josh, and I was
considering doing the same research! I actually looked at whether cyclists
have an exaggerated view of the effectiveness of helmets and the dangers of
cycling, and I will be taking a leaf out of Josh's book to see what
publicity it can get.

Old September 20th 08, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Malcolm

wrote:
On Sep 19, 6:10?pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
[...]

Which would need funding. How do you get the funding? Do a cheap study
which proves to have interesting results.

--
Chris Malcolm, IPAB, School of Informatics,
Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9AB

Old September 20th 08, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 11:59:46 -0700 (PDT), "
said in
:

He studied three streets! That's what I call in depth research! This
sort of 'research' gives research a bad name. I would have thought
'more research was needed'.

It does support a much wider and larger set of studies cited in
Hillman & Whitelegg's /One False Move/. So yes, a small study, and
one which should definitely be repeated over a much larger area, and
should be hedged with caveats (2early indications are that..." or
whatever), but not a finding in isolation and certainly not unique
as a finding of its kind.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old September 21st 08, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

wafflycat wrote:
[...]

Anyone remember the time that Screaming Lord Sutch stood for the Kensington
and Chelsea seat (the by-election won by Alan Clarke)?

One of his lines of attack was that people in Kensington "weren't allowed to
have friends" because of the pervasive waiting restrictions throughout the
Royal Borough which meant that visitors couldn't even park near a friend's
home during the evening, let alone during the daytime.
Old September 21st 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Kane

On Sep 19, 1:10*pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
[...]

However if you want imput into policy decisions it is a lot better to
be able to wave a study at people than to say "Well, it seems to me...
".

John Kane Kingston ON Canada.

Obvious Landis question Steve Racing 12 August 9th 06 06:36 AM
Obvious jokes ilan Racing 40 July 25th 06 07:42 AM
Cycling: the obvious answer... eddiec Australia 58 December 7th 05 02:46 PM
Restating the obvious Bill C Racing 84 November 13th 05 12:06 AM
As usual the obvious is missed dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 17 December 4th 04 06:28 PM