Am NOT worried, and AM happy and NOT alarmed...

Old December 18th 08, 02:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

Default Am NOT worried, and AM happy and NOT alarmed...

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:13:39 -0800 (PST)
JL wrote:
On Dec 18, 9:02Â*am, theo wrote:

No we don't have the right to vote John. We used to but the Gov't
recently removed that right from people serving prison sentences of
longer than xx time. Just another stroke of the Gov't pen.
In the Land of the Free conviction of a crime involving prison removes
your right to vote for life.

Hmm, I do recall that one coming in but didn't really take much notice
(thought it was only while you were prison btw are you sure it's for
life ? Or did you mean in the USA - they do remove it permanently for

http://www.humanrights.gov.au/human_...ote/index.html

"There was to be a change to the rights of prisoners to vote, but a
recent High Court decision invalidated that change.

When it was passed by federal parliament, the Electoral and Referendum
Amendment (Electoral Integrity and Other Measures) Act 2006 said that
anyone in prison when the election writ is issued would be
disqualified from voting.

However, on 30 August 2007, the High Court of Australia said that
these provisions violated the Australian Constitution and were
therefore invalid.[8] This means that prisoners serving a sentence
which is less than three years can vote at the next federal election.
This is the same situation as at the last federal election. "

"Human rights law suggests that any exclusion of prisoners must be
'objective', 'reasonable' and 'proportionate' to the offence and the
sentence"

Zebee