QD wheel spindles.

Old November 21st 14, 09:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei[_2_]

Default QD wheel spindles.

On 20-11-14 21:05, Ian Field wrote:
Just scrounged a pair of MTB wheels - but they have QD spindles.

My locking up chain isn't long enough to go through both wheels, the
frame and whatever I'm chaining it to.

Is there any technical reason why I couldn't swap the spindles over from
a pair of old damaged wheels?

Thanks.

I'm not sure about that, but if it doesn't work you can replace the
quick-release spindle (the lever plus thin spindle assembly) with a
"non-quick-release quick release".
See
http://www.veloplus.ch/AlleProdukte/...8mmsilber.aspx

Then an Allen wrench is needed to get the wheel off, or, for some
models, a non-standard type of "key" that only works with the particular
model.

Ned
Old November 21st 14, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ned YAW DIS IS GUT...

I have stopped at racks...campus racks,,,where front wheels and sometimes rear were removed or extra chained ...from quick release capacity.

depends on the environment...

https://www.google.com/#q=wheels+mfg+axles&tbm=shop

stopwatch ?
Old November 21st 14, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
unk

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:03:47 -0800, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Compatibility matters because often times the angles on the cones will
be different which leads to much faster wear on the bearings especially
if used bearings are put in that have already worn to a certasin degree
or shape. That can lead to great difficulty keeping the bearings
adjusted. It's often just not possible to switch the guts from one hub
and put them into a different manufacturers hub. That's why I get a
replacement axle whether QR or nutted with the same threads as the one i
want to replace.

a) cones don't have angles[1] (on the surface that matters); they have
curves, as do the outer races

b) because of a) there is a wider[2] tolerance for mis-match between the
ball race line diameters of the inner and outer races (which differ by
some fraction of the ball diameter[3]).

c) as the contact between balls and races is (in theory) point it matters
little (at the range of angles likely to be encountered with a mis-
matched cone-and-race) at what angle the force is applied to either the
balls or the race.

[1] some extremely cheap cones might actually BE cones, but I've never
seen such and would not buy (or use) such tat in any case

[2] wider than a curve-cone[4] combination.

[3] as the line between the contact points is at some angle to the
verticals extending upward and downward, said displacement being
necessary for axial location.

[4] at least one curve is required, either on the outer or inner race, to
keep the balls from falling out.
Old November 21st 14, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Clive George" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 20/11/2014 21:09, Ian Field wrote:

"Clive George" wrote in message
news
On 20/11/2014 20:05, Ian Field wrote:
Just scrounged a pair of MTB wheels - but they have QD spindles.

My locking up chain isn't long enough to go through both wheels, the
frame and whatever I'm chaining it to.

Is there any technical reason why I couldn't swap the spindles over
from
a pair of old damaged wheels?

I'd normally call them axles.

For a traditional wheel, provided they're long enough, the threads
match the cones, and the axle isn't knackered, it'll work.

If its a traditional this and provided that, doesn't really answer the
question.

My campag QR axles won't work in your hub. Neither will any of the tandem
ones.

I've answered the question as well I can with the information you've
provided.

The spindles I'm hoping to salvage from scrap wheels, have cones on them
- I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that those cones on them
have matching threads.

Easy enough to find out. But I'd check the size and state compared to your
other ones.

Looks like I should test the wheel nuts for fit before I start taking
anything apart.

Maybe I need to hope the Cones on the QR wheel fit the axle I want to use.

Old November 21st 14, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 21/11/2014 17:59, Ian Field wrote:

[...]

That's what I'd be hoping, yes. You want to just replace the axle - all
the cones, spacers, locknuts etc should be the ones which came from the
wheel. That way lies least pain.

So yes, seeing if the wheel nuts go onto the stub of the QR axle would
be a good start.
Old November 21st 14, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

Not today though - its ****ing with rain out there!

Old November 22nd 14, 01:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

there's more to life than dropping the front wheel

- Ghandi

Old November 22nd 14, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
"Ian Field" considered Thu, 20 Nov
2014 20:05:04 -0000 the perfect time to write:

Just scrounged a pair of MTB wheels - but they have QD spindles.

My locking up chain isn't long enough to go through both wheels, the frame
and whatever I'm chaining it to.

Is there any technical reason why I couldn't swap the spindles over from a
pair of old damaged wheels?

Thanks.

Why not just drop the front wheel out when you lock it up, and thread
it on the locking up chain where it will fit, next to the back wheel?

I've seen plenty of bikes locked up that way, without any apparent
problems.

Too lazy - also involves unhooking the front brake cable so the blocks clear
the tyre.

I get grease on my hands often enough fixing things that go wrong.

Old November 23rd 14, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

-fixing things that go wrong-

when your skills achieve an equilibrium with ongoing reality, you may move into improvement, fabrication and invention.

no oil field necessary

Old November 23rd 14, 12:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John D. Slocomb

On Sat, 22 Nov 2014 18:06:45 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Phil W Lee" wrote in message
.. .
"Ian Field" considered Thu, 20 Nov
2014 20:05:04 -0000 the perfect time to write:

Just scrounged a pair of MTB wheels - but they have QD spindles.

My locking up chain isn't long enough to go through both wheels, the frame
and whatever I'm chaining it to.

Is there any technical reason why I couldn't swap the spindles over from a
pair of old damaged wheels?

Thanks.

Why not just drop the front wheel out when you lock it up, and thread
it on the locking up chain where it will fit, next to the back wheel?

I've seen plenty of bikes locked up that way, without any apparent
problems.

Too lazy - also involves unhooking the front brake cable so the blocks clear
the tyre.

I get grease on my hands often enough fixing things that go wrong.

Get another locking cable/chain and lock the frame and wheels together
and then the whole package to the lamp post. Cable locks are cheap. Or
a length of chain and another padlock.

Or spray paint the bike with various colors. I had a mate that did
that figuring that no one would steal anything that looked "that bad",
and nobody did but whether that validates his theory I'm not sure :-)

--
cheers,

John D.Slocomb