More helmet petition fun

Old December 19th 06, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark McNeill

Default More helmet petition fun

Remember the petition "Compulsary [sic] Cycle Helmets For Children", at
http://www.petitiononline.com/p4hpet/petition.html
?

I see that the names and comments of certain ;-) of the contributors
have been removed, and replaced with the words "line voided"; but their
signatures still count towards the petition.

--
Mark, UK
"The function of vice is to keep virtue within reasonable bounds."
Old December 19th 06, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

I see that the names and comments of certain ;-) of the contributors
have been removed, and replaced with the words "line voided"; but their
signatures still count towards the petition.

"Signatures for this petition must be reviewed and approved by the
petition author or PetitionOnline Staff before they appear on this site."

Bum.
Old December 19th 06, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Mark Thompson wrote on 19/12/2006 18:18 +0100:
I see that the names and comments of certain ;-) of the contributors
have been removed, and replaced with the words "line voided"; but their
signatures still count towards the petition.

"Signatures for this petition must be reviewed and approved by the
petition author or PetitionOnline Staff before they appear on this site."

Well it says it's a Compulsory Petition so everyone should sign up - a
petition full of voided signatures is rather more effective for the anti
cause than one with all valid names - IMO

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old December 19th 06, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Danny Colyer

Tony Raven wrote:
Well it says it's a Compulsory Petition so everyone should sign up - a
petition full of voided signatures is rather more effective for the anti
cause than one with all valid names - IMO

I've just signed up as "Line voided", my previous "Wile E Coyote" having
been voided. Line voided is currently pending approval.

--
Danny Colyer URL:http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/
Old December 19th 06, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Danny Colyer wrote on 19/12/2006 19:28 +0100:

I've just signed up as "Line voided", my previous "Wile E Coyote" having
been voided. Line voided is currently pending approval.

It didn't avoid the line then? ;-)

Old December 19th 06, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:28:18 +0000, Danny Colyer
wrote:

Tony Raven wrote:
Well it says it's a Compulsory Petition so everyone should sign up - a
petition full of voided signatures is rather more effective for the anti
cause than one with all valid names - IMO

I've just signed up as "Line voided", my previous "Wile E Coyote" having
been voided. Line voided is currently pending approval.

I've just signed up as, "Pending Approval" and received this rather
contradictory sentence in the confirmation email:

"Please contribute $1.00 or more to PetitionOnline and help maintain
this premiere free speech forum."

How can it be described as "this premiere free speech forum" when it
allows petition authors to edit messages contrary to their views?
Old December 20th 06, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

Tom Crispin wrote:

I've just signed up as, "Pending Approval" and received this rather
contradictory sentence in the confirmation email:

"Please contribute $1.00 or more to PetitionOnline and help maintain
this premiere free speech forum."

How can it be described as "this premiere free speech forum" when it
allows petition authors to edit messages contrary to their views?

This petition has not really caught the public imagination, has it?
:-)

--
Dave...

Old December 20th 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark McNeill

Response to Tom Crispin:

How can it be described as "this premiere free speech forum" when it
allows petition authors to edit messages contrary to their views?

Of course it's their bat and ball, and they can do what they like on
their website; but the free speech thing should rather stick in their
throats. Still, one can certainly see the funny side of a petition with
45 signatures, thirty-odd of which are presumably iffy.

I'll be interested[1] if my own contribution, under my own name, makes
the cut.

[1] s/interested/bloody amazed

--
Mark, UK
"Justice must not only be done but must be seen to be believed."

Helmet petition Danny Colyer UK 3 November 30th 06 09:16 AM
#10 Petition Stuart Millington UK 0 November 18th 06 12:42 AM
petition = gay MagillaGorilla Racing 5 April 11th 06 02:05 AM
Petition the IOC rooman Australia 26 June 17th 05 11:53 AM
Petition OLN Kristine Peterson Racing 17 August 7th 04 11:21 PM