Riis just killed pro-cycling.....

Old June 1st 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

Default Riis just killed pro-cycling.....

"Donald Munro" wrote in message
om...
wrote:

Riis's admission that he did dope has damaged the sport, but has by no
means killed it.

It must be dead. There was hardly a soul on the Zoncolan yesterday.

Well, I suppose that settles that misunderstanding.

Old June 1st 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

Default Why did Lance win?

In article ,
"Jim Boyer" wrote:

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 May 2007 22:32:52 -0700, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

I doubt that's the case; it's probably very difficult to be the "better
doper" and not leave a trail of crumbs for others to follow.

Au contraire. Just as better and more meticulous coaching can help a
rider, so can very carefully designed doping that really tailors the
medication to the riders form.

And in terms of crumbs, doing doping better only requires one or two
more people -- mainly a dedicated doctor and a soigneur working only
for you. In some ways, that makes it less likely to be caught,
because if other riders/docotrs/soigneurs are caught and start
spilling beans, they won't have anything to do with your program.
--
JT

I agree, if Lance doped, like the rest of the peleton, he would be the best
at it. There has been a lot written about his total control of all aspects
of this training, every calorie measured, every watt of output accounted
for, he drove the efforts of TREK engineering, every thread of his Nike
reduced-drag clothing. It's been said that he set new standards in all
aspects of training/racing. And although being the most drug tested athlete
ever, I think his amazing machine-like ability to micro manage all these
aspects of his body and environment could allow him to get by. That is...if
he doped. :-)
jb

So when do you think his book "If I did it..." comes out?

Old June 1st 07, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On May 31, 1:40 pm, Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Tom Grosman

#5 Most riders, including Lance, doped and Lance won because he was the
better doper.

I am not saying this is the case, but...

#6 Many riders, including Lance, doped, but Lance was the only one being
treated for cancer.

Many of the drugs used in cancer recovery are performance enhancing.

I think it's undoubted that Armstrong had exceptional motivation,
exceptional will to win - was hungrier than most of the competition and
stayed hungrier longer. But in itself that isn't enough, any more than a
superb physique is enough. He also had a superb physique... but I don't
honestly believe he was 'clean', except in the special sense that I think
all his dope/medication was very probably clinically justified by his
condition.

As Chung has pointed out several times, the whole
L'Equipe-LNDD-1999 retroactive test business made
it into the papers because: Ressiot, the L'Equipe
reporter, asked Armstrong to let him see his UCI
files to show whether or not LA had a TUE
(therapeutic use exemption) for EPO, and presumably
other PEDs. Armstrong did not, (which I guess is
why he felt free to let Ressiot look in the file)
so one has to assume that if he was doping, he was
doping on the same playing field as the others, not
with a secret TUE get-out-of-dope-jail-free card.
He may have had the best doctors money could buy,
but that is a different issue.

To my knowledge, after his cancer went into remission
there would not be medical justification for
continued EPO treatment.

Another question is whether the TUEs were really
what Ressiot was interested in; since he appears to
have had the LNDD documents with the sample codes
already. As Chung likes to imply, if Ressiot had
been thinking, he shouldn't have needed the UCI
numbers since IIRC all of the tests from the first
stage were positive. That he wanted the numbers
perhaps suggests he wanted confirmation, he was
specifically after LA, he didn't know what he was
doing, or some combination thereof.

Ben

Old June 1st 07, 07:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 1, 6:23 am, "
wrote:
As Chung likes to imply

"Imply?" Dude, I may be fond of the subjunctive voice but I've been
pretty indicative about this. Either Ressiot was the most clueless
sports reporter ever to write about doping, or else there was four
months of Machiavellian negotiations going on in the background.

Old June 1st 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

in message , Dan Connelly
') wrote:

If my hematocrit is normally 38, and I boost it to 49.9, while yours is
normally 47, and you boost it to 49.9, this may convert me from a
relatively weaker, to a relatively stronger, rider. There's no basis to
claim "if they all dope, the better rider still wins".

I take warfarin; I take is specifically because I have recurring deep vein
thrombosis due to poor drainage of my left leg. Am I entitled to take EPO
to balance the decrement done to my blood's oxygen carrying capacity
caused by the warfarin? Or should I be banned from taking warfarin because
it alters (specifically, reduces) my performance?

The more you look at these questions, the less straightforward they become.

;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately
;; 99% of users are using the 1% of browsers that can...
[seen on /. 08:04:02]

Old June 2nd 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 1, 6:23 am, "
wrote:
As Chung likes to imply

"Imply?" Dude, I may be fond of the subjunctive voice but I've been
pretty indicative about this. Either Ressiot was the most clueless
sports reporter ever to write about doping, or else there was four
months of Machiavellian negotiations going on in the background.

I just got a Time VX from a Canadian guy. I received the frame and fork
yesterday about 5 pm and finished the build about 8:30 including cooking
dinner etc.

I went out today with a couple I know and we put in 40 miles with about 2500
feet of climbing.

Both of the people I was with have had cancer, both went through
chemotherapy and both are "cured". The husband went through it about 10
years ago and they didn't give him EPO. He had a lot of trouble eating, he
certainly couldn't even think of riding and his recovery was slow and
painful. He has a permanent shake in his hands. That's what he has to pay
for living longer.

His wife went through it about 5 years ago and she was using EPO and other
drugs to modify the body's response to the chemo. She RODE with us on the
same ride we did today while she was recieving chemo. She was slower then
but could nevertheless handle it.

EPO is a miracle come true. Abuse of it should be stopped but let's remember
that for every EPO cheat there are 10,000 lives saved.