Millar confesses - allegedly

Old June 25th 04, 12:50 PM
Will H

Default Millar confesses - allegedly

My french comprehension is a little poor, but the article seems to suggest
that he would have confessed - not that he did. Everyone is now reporting
that he did.

another dirty trick by the french press? I'm inclined to think so.

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...n04/jun25news2

"Cycling News Flash for June 25, 2004
Edited by Jeff Jones

Millar confesses
According to Friday's edition of L'Equipe, World Time Trial Champion David
Millar (Cofidis) has allegedly confessed to taking EPO. Millar allegedly

made
the confession to French police while he spent 48 hours in custody in

Biarritz
this week.

L'Equipe reported that empty ampoules of Eprex (EPO) were found by French
police in Millar's house whilst he was being detained, writing "Millar
recognised that he used Eprex (erythropoetin) in the practice of his

profession
which puts him in the same position as a positive rider in the eyes of the
UCI."

If this is the case, Millar will likely be charged by Nanterre judge

Richard
Pallain, who is heading the investigation into the Cofidis team, with

illegal
possession and use of toxic substances. So far, eight others have been

charged
in the affair which began early this year: Cédric Vasseur, Philippe

Gaumont,
Robert Sassone, Médéric Clain, Marek Rutkiewicz and Daniel Majewski (all
riders), Boguslaw Madejak (ex-Cofidis physiotherapist), Oleg Kozlitine

(former
directeur sportif of Oktos)."

If the above is correct, then that'll be Millar out of the Olympics.

Wonder if
Dangermouse will get a place now?

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

--Due to financial crisis the light at the end of the tunnel is switched

off--

Old June 25th 04, 12:58 PM
JohnB

Will H wrote:

My french comprehension is a little poor, but the article seems to suggest
that he would have confessed - not that he did. Everyone is now reporting
that he did.

another dirty trick by the french press? I'm inclined to think so.

Perhaps.

Its pretty damning if he was found with it though.

John B
Old June 25th 04, 01:04 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:58:33 +0100, JohnB wrote:

Will H wrote:

My french comprehension is a little poor, but the article seems to
suggest
that he would have confessed - not that he did. Everyone is now
reporting
that he did.

another dirty trick by the french press? I'm inclined to think so.

Perhaps.

Its pretty damning if he was found with it though.

The BBC new story simply says he was questioned and released. It doesn't
suggest a confession or evidence being found. It does point out that he
has never tested positive.

Colin

Old June 25th 04, 01:06 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

The BBC new story simply says he was questioned and released. It doesn't
suggest a confession or evidence being found. It does point out that he
has never tested positive.

The bit about him allegedly confessing came out after the release - the BBC
seem not to have picked up on this yet.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old June 25th 04, 01:52 PM
JohnB

Will H wrote:

another dirty trick by the french press? I'm inclined to think so.

Perhaps.

Its pretty damning if he was found with it though.

The BBC new story simply says he was questioned and released. It doesn't
suggest a confession or evidence being found. It does point out that he
has never tested positive.

See:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...n04/jun25news2

If its true it doesn't look good.

John B
Old June 25th 04, 01:59 PM
Arthur Clune

Colin Blackburn wrote:

: The BBC new story simply says he was questioned and released. It doesn't
: suggest a confession or evidence being found. It does point out that he
: has never tested positive.

Sadly never testing positive doesn't mean anything - only the stupid riders
get caught by the drug tests these days. Witness all the track+field athletes
in bother over that supplement maker recently, none of whom tested positive
(and it should be said, many of whom deny taking drugs)

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
- Paulina Borsook
Old June 25th 04, 02:10 PM
Colin Blackburn

On 25 Jun 2004 12:59:52 GMT, Arthur Clune wrote:

Colin Blackburn wrote:

: The BBC new story simply says he was questioned and released. It
doesn't
: suggest a confession or evidence being found. It does point out that he
: has never tested positive.

Sadly never testing positive doesn't mean anything

I know, I was highlightinmg the tenor of the BBC story compared to the
French one. The story has now been updated but the Beeb still don't refer
to confessions or evidence, simply that he is to meet a judge next week.
Although his sister suggests the Tour may be in doubt which might be a
hint to an as yet unrevealed problem.

Colin

Old June 25th 04, 05:52 PM
David Off

JohnB wrote:

Colin Blackburn wrote:

If its true it doesn't look good.

If it is true it is actually worse than that. He is looking at being
charged with trafficking EPO which carries a prison sentence. He
allegedly supplied EPO to teammates. (see l'Equipe article)

Still, look on the bright side, they may let him do his time in a
Scottish rather than a French prison
Old June 25th 04, 06:05 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

See:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...n04/jun25news2

If its true it doesn't look good.

John B

As one of the side-effects that EPO can cause is a itchy skin rash, I wonder if
the skin rash that has had Millar off his bike recently is an adverse reaction?
I could be wrong and I truly hope I am. But it is not looking good for Millar.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old June 25th 04, 06:22 PM
Zog The Undeniable

If the above is correct, then that'll be Millar out of the Olympics. Wonder if
Dangermouse will get a place now?

I'd like to see Dangerfield get a ride. He's been very unlucky to be
around at the same time as Boardman then Millar, otherwise he would have
been a dead cert.

Millar on Armstrong psycholist Racing 32 August 4th 04 04:50 AM
Millar used EPO David N. Welton Racing 17 July 3rd 04 08:18 AM