Giraffe mount - how it's done

Old August 18th 04, 08:05 AM
loophole

Default Giraffe mount - how it's done

I really appreciate reading through this forum when I got my giraffe,
and found some really useful suggestions.

Now that I have succeeded, I want to add something back to the forum,
and here it is:

::You don't need to be able to ride well ...::

You don't need to be able to ride a giraffe well to freemount it

I have had my giraffe for around 3 weeks, and have the "climb" freemount
completely down pat (10 out of 10 tries). I got this freemount right
before I could idle on the giraffe (and although I can ride a normal uni
backwards, I can't yet ride the giraffe backwards).

I do believe you'll need to be confident at idling on a normal uni,
before being able to use the climb method for the first time on a
giraffe. But you certainly don't have to be able to ride backwards on
the giraffe, or even idle on the giraffe.

::A detailed description of the method::

Here's the method I use for the freemount, in some detail:

(1) Giraffe upright, facing forward (no twist, or lean)
(2) Right hand completely down
(3) Left hand pedal made level (to receive left foot).
(3) Right hand gripping front of the seat, in the way that you want it
to be once you are up and riding (ie over the top of the seat)
(4) Left hand coming from left hand side, on the middle of the seat
(this will stop giraffe twisting on the way up).
(5) Left foot heel approximately the diameter of the wheel behind the
wheel.
(6) Left foot facing out left (ie not the direction of the wheel) ...
there is a good reason for this ... it naturally stops your left leg
pushing up too much (which will just launch you over the Uni, and lead
to another non-landed-attempt).
(7) Look up
(8) You will be concentrating on keeping the uni completely upright
while you steadily rise up to the right level.

... NOW (you need to do the next stuff all in a single fluid (but not
fast) movement ...

(9) Leaving your left foot where it is, move your whole body closer to
the Uni
(10) Put pressure on your right foot, and use your right foot to stand
up ... DO NOT JUMP WITH YOUR LEFT FOOT ... THIS IS CRITICAL
(11) When you are standing up, your right hand will move the seat under
your goolies (or family jewels) and at the same time your left foot will
hit the pedal
(12) You are now on the seat, and the wheel needs to come backwards a
little to get your balance right.
(13) You will pedal backwards about a quarter rev, and off you go.

::Problems I've encountered::

[] not getting up high enough ... try try again (for me, over 150
attempts in a row)
[] going too far over the top ... try try again (and remember - keep the
Giraffe upright on the way up ... so that your hand puts the seat under
the important bits)
[] going too far off to one side ... try try again (your left foot
placement is important ... read above about the heel placement).

::How long did it take ?::

Day 1 - just jumping up and down and getting nowhere near it
Day 2 - 160 attempts, 5 successes (pure luck)
Day 3 - 160 attempts, 25 successes (pure luck)
Day 4 - 150 attempts, 15 successes (oh #@$%^& !!!)
Day 5 - 100+ attempts, 5 successes (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Day 6 - 25 attempts, 10 successes
Day 7 - 15 attempts 10 successes
Day 8 - 8 attempts 5 successes
Day 9 - 5 attempts 5 successes

... now it is pretty much every time, unless I'm not concentrating, or
one of my kids gets in the way (I'm 38 ... my youngest is 3 and doesn't
understand how it'll hurt if I land on him).

Regards from sunny (and dry) Brisbane, Australia.

--
loophole - My giraffe and me ...
loophole's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7218

Old August 18th 04, 09:28 AM
andrew_carter

I'm glad you added that last bit. I live in Brisbane too. We'll have
to get together for a ride some time. There are lots of keen
unicyclists here in Brisbane. Are you at all interested in muni? We
regularly go on muni rides on Mt Cootha.

Do you know about unicycles.com.au? The shop is based in Brisbane and
run by Gary who co-owns Gap Cycles. The website (www.unicycles.com.au)
is horribly outdated. A great new site will be up and running in the
next week or two hopefully. Basically there's a lot more on offer than
the site says and it's all generally cheaper than it says.

See my signature for my email address. My mobile number is 0423 516
982. We should definately get together for a ride. Also check out
www.unicycle.2ya.com (Peter van B's and my site).

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - Quit jivin' me, turkey!

carter.andrew (at) gmail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au
Unicycling Tips and Tutorials - http://www.unicycle.2ya.com

Old August 18th 04, 09:29 AM
andrew_carter

Actually, do you mind if we grab those tips for giraffe mounting for our
Tips and Tutorials site? We already have a video tutorial on giraffe
mounting but it's pretty basic.

Andrew

Old August 18th 04, 09:31 AM
john_childs