Brief movie review

Old June 5th 17, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Brief movie review

Watched "Rising from Ashes" last night via Netflix. It's a documentary
about Jock Boyer (former U.S. Tour de France cyclist) going to Rwanda
and developing a Rwandan cycling team. The intent was to help the
country recover from the Rwandan genocide a decade or two prior.

It documents village kids with horrible memories becoming trained as
competitive cyclists, then racing in other countries including the USA,
and eventually vying for the Olympics. There's some heartwarming stuff,
but also some mention of unintended consequences, such as being harassed
by community members who think the kids are now rich.

There's some treatment of Boyer's personal problems stemming from a
broken home, although it's hard for me to sympathize with a guy who did
jail time for molesting an 11-year-old.

The movie would be interesting to those who like cycling.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Movie Review in _Bicycling_ Jym Dyer General 0 August 4th 10 03:26 PM
30 second movie review Bleve Australia 2 August 7th 06 12:45 PM
Review our new movie. irvinegr Unicycling 33 January 28th 06 12:50 AM
Review my movie please irvinegr Unicycling 41 January 22nd 06 10:29 PM
review - PRO, The Movie k.papai Racing 2 December 17th 04 04:47 PM