Madone 5.2 SL

Old September 13th 05, 06:40 PM
Hans C.

Default Madone 5.2 SL

I am considering the purchase of a stock Madone 5.2SL. The only other
carbon bike I've tested is a VERY expensive Scott. They rode very
differently and I prefer the Trek. Two questions. First, can any of you
folks recommend other carbon frames that I should consider? Secondly, any
thoughts good/ bad or personal experience with the Madone. I currrently
ride a custom steel frame. I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

TIA-Alan

Old September 13th 05, 07:14 PM
DNO

The Madone SL frameset is a great frameset and the 5.2 a nicely spec'ed
bike. You could also look at some of the Specialized bikes (Roubioux,
Tarmac), also Orbea Onix or Orca, or some of the European superbikes
like the Looks, Time, Merkx etc. I know there are also two version of
the Scott frames, the Team version which is super expensive and the a
"limited" version that is slightly heaver (going form 810 to 890 grams
I think, so still super lite) that is spec'ed with Ultegra and much
more reasonably priced.

Old September 13th 05, 07:21 PM
Larry Coon

Hans C. wrote:

I am considering the purchase of a stock Madone 5.2SL. The only other
carbon bike I've tested is a VERY expensive Scott. They rode very
differently and I prefer the Trek. Two questions. First, can any of you
folks recommend other carbon frames that I should consider? Secondly, any
thoughts good/ bad or personal experience with the Madone. I currrently
ride a custom steel frame. I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

I went through the same experience -- I had always ridden steel,
and decided to make the switch this time around. I'm glad I did--
the initial feeling you've already experienced was cemented after
I got used to the carbon bike and then went back to the steel
bike for a couple of rides.

Mine is the '04 version of the 5.2, the 5200. I think it's an
exceptional bike for the money if you're happy with Ultegra. I
wasn't, and I ended up swapping the group out for Dura-Ace. There
used to be a middle option called the 5500, which was the same OCLV
120 frame & same wheels, but with Dura-Ace components. Now it
looks like if you want Dura-Ace, the next step up is the 5.9, which
also has the OCLV 110 frame, X-Lite wheels, carbon bar & stem, etc.,
for which you pay an extra $2,100.

Larry Coon
University of California
Old September 13th 05, 09:45 PM
Andrew F Martin

The 5.2 SL is the way to go if you you are going with a Trek. It is
the 110 carbon with full ultegra which I've heard is more than does the
trick. The SL frame is $3k if you try to buy it on it's own making
the bike even more of a steal. The wheels it comes with aren't as
nice as the 5.9, but they work fine.

I also swapped out for DA kit (sold the Ultegra for $750, picked up DA
for $1050) since I'm an equipment snob. The B-trager trim parts are
fine as well. The saddle sucks, but chances are you already have one
you like there anyway.

I FAR prefer my 5.2SL frame to the 5500 or the 5900 I've had in past
seasons. The rear end is much stiffer and really carves out the turns.

Compared to the Scott, or Giant, or whatever - for the price you'll
have a hard time finding as good a bike, and I prefer the ride of the
more traditional geometry bikes (non-compact).

Old September 13th 05, 10:15 PM
Hans C.

Thank you for your insight. The shop offered me any upgrades (of course).
What saddle did you use in lieu of the stock saddle?

The Madone seemed to track pretty well, especially compared to the Scott.
Again, thank you.

oups.com...

Old September 14th 05, 12:30 AM
Larry

If you are not one who does not care about the finish quality of the frame
then Trek is a good choice. Look at road bike reviews and just about all the
reviews complain about the poor finish on Trek carbon frames. The are light
but does a few ounces really matter. I found the ride of the Look and Orbea
frames to be slightly better then the Trek Madone but the finish is perfect.
I would ride one of those frames before I buy. Also you have some thing
different. Trek is like a Ford you see them every where. Why, I don't know.

Old September 14th 05, 12:38 AM
Andrew F Martin

Saddle is quite a personal choice, but I have been really happy with
the Madone. So much real-estate to work with, and it's comfortable for
the longer rides.

I think the tracking your noticing is a behavior of the compact frame -
and potentially sizing. If they don't have the proper size for a
compact - and they try to make up for it with seatpost it can handle
pretty poorly.

Old September 14th 05, 01:24 AM
Joshua Mermelstein

Hans C. wrote:
I am considering the purchase of a stock Madone 5.2SL. The only other
carbon bike I've tested is a VERY expensive Scott. They rode very
differently and I prefer the Trek. Two questions. First, can any of you
folks recommend other carbon frames that I should consider? Secondly, any
thoughts good/ bad or personal experience with the Madone. I currrently
ride a custom steel frame. I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

TIA-Alan

You might try a Calfee if there is a local dealer whom you trust. Even
the "bottom of the line" (hey, everything's relative) Luna is a fabulous
ride.
Old September 14th 05, 01:28 AM
C Wright

I am considering the purchase of a stock Madone 5.2SL. The only other
carbon bike I've tested is a VERY expensive Scott. They rode very
differently and I prefer the Trek. Two questions. First, can any of you
folks recommend other carbon frames that I should consider? Secondly, any
thoughts good/ bad or personal experience with the Madone. I currrently
ride a custom steel frame. I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

You may want to check out the Madone 5.5. It is in basically the same price
range as the 5.2SL and the Shimano components are mostly all
Dura-Ace. The 5.5 is not yet listed on Trek's web site but dealers have it
or can get it. The 5.2 may be the better bike for _you_ I am just
suggesting that you look at the 5.5 in the event that you did not know that
it existed.
Chuck

Old September 14th 05, 02:10 AM
Alvin Ryder

Hans C. wrote:
I am considering the purchase of a stock Madone 5.2SL. The only other
carbon bike I've tested is a VERY expensive Scott. They rode very
differently and I prefer the Trek. Two questions. First, can any of you
folks recommend other carbon frames that I should consider? Secondly, any
thoughts good/ bad or personal experience with the Madone. I currrently
ride a custom steel frame. I was amazed at the comfort of the ride compared
to my old steel bike.

TIA-Alan

Hi,

I seriously looked at the Madone SL 5.2, a very nice bike but I ended
up getting a 2005 Giant TCR Composite 1 instead.

Both bikes have similar equipment (Ultegra...) and both weigh about the
same, 7.6kg or 16.7 lbs w/o pedals, but I could only score a great deal
on the Giant.

To start with its list price is better and with '06 models around the
corner good discounts could be had on the '05s. All up the Giant was
45% cheaper than the Trek!

As for performance the Giant also has the goods.

YMMV,
Cheers.

Madone record RoadRumors Racing 22 September 1st 05 07:07 AM
[Frame question] Orbea Orca or Madone 5.9 ? NetWiz Techniques 29 August 24th 05 08:50 PM
Trek Madone doki UK 0 May 25th 05 09:55 PM
FS: Trek Madone complete bike 56cm Robbie Brown Marketplace 2 October 16th 04 08:18 AM
Madone no more... Steve Blankenship Racing 1 July 21st 03 06:54 PM