Orbea Orca and Front derailleur hanger

Old August 16th 04, 07:42 PM
Biff Stephens

Default Orbea Orca and Front derailleur hanger

Hello,
My girlfriend has an Orbea Orca and it has a clamp on derailleur hanger.
What we have just noticed is the bike shop put a Dura Ace hanger on the
bike. Everything else is Campy.....does Campy not make a derailleur hanger?

Thoughts..? Ideas? Comments?

Thanks
Biff

--
It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have. (Sheryl Crow)

Old August 17th 04, 02:24 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

biff- My girlfriend has an Orbea Orca and it has a clamp on derailleur
hanger.
What we have just noticed is the bike shop put a Dura Ace hanger on the
bike. Everything else is Campy.....does Campy not make a derailleur hanger?
BRBR

Campagnolo makes front ders in the three clamp sizes, not a clamp and braze-on.
The bike shop is bein' lazy.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old August 17th 04, 05:31 PM
Russell Seaton

"Biff Stephens" wrote in message news:De7Uc.36937$wo.1873@okepread06...
Hello,
My girlfriend has an Orbea Orca and it has a clamp on derailleur hanger.
What we have just noticed is the bike shop put a Dura Ace hanger on the
bike. Everything else is Campy.....does Campy not make a derailleur hanger?

Did the shop use a Campagnolo braze-on front derailleur with the
separate Shimano clamp as pictured in the link below?

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5115

If so, then take the bike back to the shop and tell them to put on a
clamp-on Campagnolo front derailleur instead. Campagnolo makes
clamp-on front derailleurs in almost all of their groups to fit any
size seat tube. I doubt they make that additional clamp thing because
they make all of their front derailleurs in the sizes needed. With
Shimano, you can only get the 10 speed Dura Ace front derailleur with
1.125" or 1.25" clamp. Dura Ace 10 speed does not come with a 1.375"
clamp. You have to order the separate clamp from Shimano if you want
to use their 10 speed front derailleur on a frame with a 1/375" seat
tube. Campagnolo Record of course comes in all sizes of clamp-on
front derailleur.

I would guess the shop orders its build kits with braze-on front
derailleurs and then uses the Shimano clamp accessory to fit whatever
size seat tube is on the frame. I guess they think its easier on
inventory to not have to worry about having the right size clamp-on
front derailleur for whatever frame they are building up. Just grab
the braze-on front derailleur and whichever size cheap clamp fits.
More universal I suppose.

Old August 18th 04, 02:00 AM
Trevor Jeffrey

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote in message
biff- My girlfriend has an Orbea Orca and it has a clamp on derailleur
hanger.
What we have just noticed is the bike shop put a Dura Ace hanger on the
bike. Everything else is Campy.....does Campy not make a derailleur hanger?
BRBR

Campagnolo makes front ders in the three clamp sizes, not a clamp and

braze-on.
The bike shop is bein' lazy.

I do not believe they market clip ons in standard steel tube size at this
moment.

Trevor

Old August 18th 04, 02:05 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

trevor- I do not believe they market clip ons in standard steel tube size at
this
moment. BRBR

Double yes, 28.6, triple no but you can swap the clamps on any Campagnolo front
der.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.