cross nats? anyone?

Old December 11th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

Default cross nats? anyone?

wrote:
and it was always interesting that there was a beer tent/wagon. even
at a 10am Sunday morning crit.

Ryan is about to start taking German lessons.
Old December 11th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
alan_atwood

jerry in vermont wrote:
just saying...its only a week away. where are all the threads about
field limits, and price gouging, and how they are killing the sport
just like they did to mtb a few years back. How about an explanation
on how they were able to jack the price up by what, 12 bucks or
something, after registration had been open a month? Is anyone at USCF
watching? 52 bucks? 220 people in the B's, in ONE race, on a CROSS
course? WTF people. The end is near.

anyone? anyone? buehler?

No, my name's not Buehler, but I'll chip in my 2 cents here. Hey
Jerry, I invite you to join the staff for my UCI races next year at
Catamount and Hanover. It'll at least give you a small taste as to
what is needed to pull a race together.

I don't know what the exact budget is for cross nationals this year,
but I would not be surprised if it's in the 6-figures. And would you
care to guess what support the NECA is getting from Colorado? Probably
nothing. So try to put together a 6-figure budget based on local and
regional sponsors, most of whom are being swayed away from the sport if
they were even interested in the first place because of all the bad
publicity lately. You're a good guy, Jerry, but don't even THINK about
the word "gouging".

And as for the late fee (the jack), there's been many discussions about
that here and elsewhere and no need to rehash that.

I do agree with you that 220 riders is going to be interested to run on
a course; I hope the course is at least a 10 minute lap for them. I
feel for Kristen and the rest of the officials who are going to have to
keep track of that one. Perhaps the chief ref could have helped here;
you know, the same one who was at Glouces..................wait a
minute, she blew off Gloucester.....

Oh, Page is gonna freaking race too, crazy *******. He will be the guy
with one arm hanging out of his lower back...should be a good race,
lots of contendors.

Actually, he said it feels ok and he is riding without a brace or
anything, so he is going to make nats his first race back. Still, God
only gives you two arms.

I'm verry happy to see Jon come home to race; despite the
circumstances. I wish him the best of luck. I'll be rooting for him.

Jerry in NY

Old December 11th 06, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Dec 11, 8:05 am, Donald Munro wrote:
wrote:
and it was always interesting that there was a beer tent/wagon. even
at a 10am Sunday morning crit.

Ryan is about to start taking German lessons.

He's already fluid in bier.

Old December 11th 06, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Carl Sundquist

"Donald Munro" wrote in message
. com...
wrote:
and it was always interesting that there was a beer tent/wagon. even
at a 10am Sunday morning crit.

Ryan is about to start taking German lessons.

He should be fluent in 6 weeks.

Old December 11th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

alan_atwood wrote:
jerry in vermont wrote:
[...]

I guess if there are 220 riders in the B race, the entry fee was not
too much of a deterrent.

Maybe there should be a sliding scale - $40 for the A/elites, $100 for
the Bs, $40 for the Cs. On the other hand that might encourage
Bs to get in over their head in the A race, or sandbag the Cs.

The fact is, nationals is not like a local race, more people will
be traveling to it. That means the entry fee is small compared
to all your other costs, even if you crash on somebody's floor.
It's an obvious hit to your wallet so people will complain about
it more than all the other costs, but it's not that significant
overall.

The amount of work it takes to put on even a small local race
is not easy to appreciate until you help out with one.

Ben

Old December 11th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

wrote:

Just trying to point out how different the overall
environment is. For race organizers too I imagine. That they are able
to put on good races for minimal entry fees should say something. It
was like that in Italy also. And I suspect in other EU countries.

dumbass,

i'd say the fee situation is a reflection of the participation and not
the other way around. in my experience changing the fee doesn't really
affect the participation. even if fees in north america were reduced to
$0 the participation numbers and pattern would stay about the same.

One might ask ... is that simply a reflection of the sport being more
accepted and mainstream ... or is that in part how it got to be more
accepted and popular?

a good thing to consider. i think the popularity has more to do with
club (moral) support: being able to get to events, having people to
ride with and local events that make the sport visible thereby
attracting more riders.

of course as a rider or a parent if you spend a $1000 a year vs. $100 a
year on fees it affects you in some way, but i don't thnk that's the
primary consideration if someone's trying to decide if they are going
to race bikes or not.

RR: OZ SS Nats Duncan Mountain Biking 11 November 6th 06 08:49 AM
Cross Nats Results [email protected] Racing 5 December 16th 05 07:25 AM
CX Nats photos Bill C Racing 2 December 15th 05 01:18 PM
Cross nats live radio feed [email protected] Racing 1 December 10th 05 09:01 PM
Cross Nats picks Bill C Racing 26 December 9th 05 12:15 PM