Stopped by the Police

Old November 14th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CoreTechs

Default Stopped by the Police

How it happened:
I was riding down the main street on the sidewalk when I decided to go
on the side of the street. I went one footed for about three to five
seconds keeping very straight and consistent.
Then I hear a honk beside me, go back to two feet and look over. A
police officer.
He told me to pull over and asked for ID. I asked him what I was being
stopped for and he told me that it was for dangerous driving. I asked
him to see if a unicycle was defined in the law. He pulled out his
handy book and defined it as a "muscular powered vehicle".
I then proceeded to ask whether I was being charged with anything. And
he said that he was going to write up a $325 ticket for me. (He was
serious)
My stomach instantly went heavy and I apologized for asking/arguing the
definition of a unicycle. After a minute of talking he asked me what
school I went from and how my grades were.
I told him my school and my grades were average. He asked me if I was
familiar with drugs in the school or the local hemp store.
I said no to both and told him that I have never even drank any alcohol
since I turned 19 and that I have never had any criminal charges.
This managed to sway him to not write the ticket.

It was a close call for me. That's a weeks worth of pay I almost lost
out on for about five seconds of riding.

Any one else have any similar experience while unicycling?

--
CoreTechs

UNICYCLE FOR CHRIST

And get 'LOST' (www.lost.eu/69d9c).
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 14th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

yes, Police are SCUM! 'lovely people'

jamessd

My videos:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WpBvnO6wVG0#GU5U2spHI_4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xkZLQzvf2g
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnedg1YS8c
Add me:
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 14th 07, 08:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

thats retarded.
he was just being a dick and was probably under his ticket quota.
dangerous driving?
considering we are considered pedestrians by law
and their is totally such a thing as dangerous walking
they need to do what they are dedicated to do. and that isnt stop
"dangerous unicyclists"

--
torkerdx

gordito8me wrote:
it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid,
but not really that fun.

skianduniaddict wrote:
never give 4 teenagers a camera... they go crazy

johnfoss wrote:
Yes, being old makes you stupid.

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 14th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
OldDrone

That is funny, in a lot of towns it is illegal to ride on a bike on the
sidewalk and unicycles are not described.

What a hard a**, do you think he thought that one footed riding was
dangerous, or just unicycling in general?

I haven't heard of anyone being stopped before, but it made me think
that it would be cool if there was a unicycle mounted police unit, that
patrolled parades.
:: ::

--
OldDrone
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 14th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

I feel the urge to shout this: What a stupid mo***r fu**er!!!!
Dam, Police are sopose to help the comuntity! (my apologises
to the hopfuly majority of nice, sensible officers)

--
thejdw

I didn't spell it wrong, you just read it wrong!
kington99 wrote:
A hobnob is an oaty biscuit, the fact that they don't exist in america
just goes to show that you have no culinary heritage

don't follow Jesus, follow me!

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 14th 07, 08:59 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sir Wojak

Yeah, I was stopped before. I was just riding along down a practically
deserted road. There were two policemen going the opposite direction
that I was going, I saw them a far ways off, but didn't think anything
of it at the time, because there are often policemen walking around
over here. And I've never been stopped before, but then again, I was
never on a unicycle before.
Anyway, as I was passing me they asked me to stop, and asked me some
questions and said that my unicycling didn't have any brakes or
reflectors. confused:
Anyway, they just took down my name and phone number, and then said I
could go.

But I've heard of other people that have gotten fines and stuff, so now
if I see a policeman, I just go down a side street if I can.

--
Sir Wojak
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 14th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

Sir Wojak wrote:
Yeah, I was stopped before. I was just riding along down a practically
deserted road. There were two policemen going the opposite direction
that I was going, I saw them a far ways off, but didn't think anything
of it at the time, because there are often policemen walking around
over here. And I've never been stopped before, but then again, I was
never on a unicycle before.
Anyway, as I was passing me they asked me to stop, and asked me some
questions and said that my unicycling didn't have any brakes or
reflectors. confused:
Anyway, they just took down my name and phone number, and then said I
could go.

But I've heard of other people that have gotten fines and stuff, so now
if I see a policeman, I just go down a side street if I can.

dont make is seem like you are afraid to go past them cause then they
will bust you for avoiding them (cause it seems like you are acting
guilty)
i know 2 kids who got into trouble while playing man hunt for that
(even though they didnt know it was a police car they were hiding
from)(man hunt is a giant game of tag at night where the hunters are in
cars and the huntees have to get to a certaint destination in a set
amount of time to win)

--
torkerdx

Old November 14th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
superiorbalence

He pulled you over because he had nothing better to do, and when he saw
that trick he probly thought that was dangerous, bet there was no
reason to pull you over, al least you got out of the fine.

--
superiorbalence

Rowan wrote:
"It had a baby!" Said a man pointing at my 16" which I was carrying
while riding my 36".

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 14th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Pdougherty

CoreTechs wrote:

"muscular powered vehicle".

that's crazy... sad to hear they would even think about a ticket for
something like that.

--
Pdougherty
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 14th 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

The police person may have considered the one foot riding to be similar
to riding a wheelie on a bike down the road or riding a bike no handed
down the road. Doing either of those "tricks" on a bike on the road in
view of a police officer will likely (possibly) get you some traffic
enforcement attention.

Whether is in the same category as riding a wheelie on a bike is
debatable, but to a lay person it's going to look like a maneuver where
you have minimal control.

Now if the police attention was because you were on a unicycle and not
just because of the one footing bit then grrrr! Bad police man.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com

Being stopped by a Trooper... Biker52 General 21 September 15th 07 01:43 PM
I had stopped by my LBS [email protected] Australia 1 June 25th 07 03:33 AM
Stopped for speeding? Dylan Smith UK 84 April 16th 07 04:06 PM
Stopped for speeding? [email protected] UK 1 April 12th 07 02:01 PM
doping will never be stopped. gym.gravity Racing 2 August 10th 06 08:20 PM