STI shifter indexing, sometimes

Old August 17th 04, 08:28 PM
Dave Stallard

Mighty A wrote:

I have an old RSX triple drivetrain and the rear derailleur shifter
will, usually when shifting up, not shift. If I shift the lever a few
times the derailleur will engage, but I am concerned that this is a
warning that the shifter is about to give up the ghost. Is this a
common problem?

Yes. It happened to me on the right shifter, and then on the left.
Bike needed a tuneup the first time anyway, so I brought it in, and they
fixed it, probably via the "STI repair kit" cited by others.

Haven't done anything about the left one yet, as I've gotten a new bike
in the meantime.

Dave

Old August 18th 04, 12:15 AM
Bill Cotton

www.billcotton.com
N40° 3.744' W75° 6.180'
"Dave Stallard" wrote in message
Mighty A wrote:

I have an old RSX triple drivetrain and the rear derailleur shifter
will, usually when shifting up, not shift. If I shift the lever a few
times the derailleur will engage, but I am concerned that this is a
warning that the shifter is about to give up the ghost. Is this a
common problem?

Yes. It happened to me on the right shifter, and then on the left.
Bike needed a tuneup the first time anyway, so I brought it in, and they
fixed it, probably via the "STI repair kit" cited by others.

Haven't done anything about the left one yet, as I've gotten a new bike
in the meantime.

Dave

Bill,

http://www.billcotton.com/sti_shifter_repair.htm
I had a similar problem with my STI Ultegra (i.e. the long arm would not
return). After taking the whole thing apart I found a piece that had a
large burr that was the cause of my problem. I just wanted to let you know
that with a little bit of patience and a small screw driver and maybe an
extra hand it's not too difficult of a task to completely disassemble and
reassemble the shifter.

Thanks for the article.

Steve