Installation of Sugino Direct Drive Crank

Old October 24th 07, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gary Young

Default Installation of Sugino Direct Drive Crank

I just got Sugino's DX-500 Direct Drive crank with an external-bearing
bottom bracket:

http://tinyurl.com/2u4pso

Unfortunately, it didn't come with instructions. Judging from Park's
repair site, "Direct Drive" looks to be similar, if not identical to,
FSA's MegaExo system:

http://parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=122

There's one major difference, though. The FSA MTB cranks come with 2.5mm
spacers that move the bearing cups outward if you are using them on a
frame with a 68mm shell.

The Sugino crank comes with a single 5mm spacer that slips over the
spindle (in other words, it's much to small to fit the cups). If I leave
out the spacer, I get a 50mm chainline on my frame with a 68mm shell and
everything seems to work fine.

However, it bothers me that I have that spacer left over. What's it for?
Did I mess up somewhere?