Why Do You Ride Mountain A Bike On Streets?

Old May 30th 04, 06:45 AM
James Lynx

Default Why Do You Ride Mountain A Bike On Streets?

I'm curious about something. I have been reading this forum on
Mountain Bikes and notice that a lot of you either have two mountain
bikes, one for mountain biking, and one with street/road tires for
riding on the street, or you have one bike and you have two sets of
tires/rims, one with knobs for the mountain biking and one with street
tires.

Curious why you choose to ride a mountain bike on the streets instead
of a road bike. I am getting back into riding bikes after a 20 year
break from it. I'm 36 and used to ride a BMX Team Mongoose which I
still have but am too big for it now. I never liked your traditional
10 speed bike, or as they call them now street bikes. I was even
considering fixing up my Mongoose and riding it again on the streets
but realized that I'm too big for that bike. I could do it but it
wouldn't be a pretty site. So the next logical step would be to get
another bike. Okay which one? I don't care for road bikes. They are
cool for some people but for me not my cup of tea so to speak. Okay
so what do I get a cruiser or a mountain bike? The cruiser I tried
was very nice. Very comfortable bike but I think I wanted something
more durable and also the option to jump off curbs and occassionally
ride on dirt. So I go for a mountain bike. Not a high end mountain
bike BUT a pretty good Fuji Discovery II. I think it's a good bike.
So far so good. I still kinda want to get a cruiser bike but for now
the mountain suits my needs. I changed the tires to street/road
tires because the tires with knobs create too much resistance in my
riding and it gets hard to ride especially in hilly areas where I
live. Maybe one day I'll get a cruiser and ride that on the street,
put mountain bike tires back on the Fuji and go off roading.

So why do you ride a mountain bike on the road instead of riding a
road bike or even a cruiser?

Thank You,

James
Old May 30th 04, 07:28 AM
Westie

James Lynx wrote:
[...]

Did I miss something or didn't you answer your own question?
If you don't like road bikes, don't want a cruiser, feel too old to be
riding a BMX and do want something a little more robust to jump off kerbs, a
mountainbike is a logical choice.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old May 30th 04, 07:45 AM
S o r n i

Westie wrote:
James Lynx wrote:
[...]

That, and it's a lot cheaper to have two sets of wheels/tires than it is to
have two nice bikes (generally speaking).

Bill "two mtbs and one road for the record" S.

Old May 30th 04, 02:00 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
So why do you ride a mountain bike on the road instead of riding a
road bike or even a cruiser?

When I ride on the road - either getting to/from someplace else or for the
occasional road ride I ride all the way over on the shoulder which, on many of
the third-world roads of Southeastern Pennsylvania, is roughly equivalent to
off-road riding. Also, the shoulder comes and goes....raising a choice between
riding on dirt,grass and chancing somebody coming around a blind corner in their
new Ford Excursion with the mirrors fully extended and talking the cell phone
while doing 45-50 in a 25 zone..... or somebody overcorrecting as they meet a
UPS van coming the other way...
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 30th 04, 02:58 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-05-30, James Lynx penned:

So why do you ride a mountain bike on the road instead of riding a
road bike or even a cruiser?

1. Not everyone has the money for two bikes.

2. You can take a mountain bike anywhere a road bike can go; it will be
slower, but you can do it. You can *not* take a road bike anywhere a
mountain bike can go.

--
monique

"The people who run record companies now wouldn't know a song if it flew up
their nose and died." -- David Crosby, on PBS Frontline
Old May 30th 04, 03:04 PM
Corvus Corvax

(James Lynx) wrote

Okay so what do I get a cruiser or a mountain bike?

Neither:

http://www.oldskooltrack.com

CC
Old May 30th 04, 04:44 PM
Mike Vandeman

On 29 May 2004 22:45:48 -0700, (James Lynx) wrote:

..I'm curious about something. I have been reading this forum on
..Mountain Bikes and notice that a lot of you either have two mountain
..bikes, one for mountain biking, and one with street/road tires for
..riding on the street, or you have one bike and you have two sets of
..tires/rims, one with knobs for the mountain biking and one with street
..tires.
..
[...]

Stupidity. There's no reason to ride a bike with such high rolling resistance,
unless you just love wasting money on tires.

..Thank You,
..
..
..James

===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old May 30th 04, 04:45 PM
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 30 May 2004 18:28:55 +1200, "Westie"
wrote:

..James Lynx wrote:
[...]

What's the big attraction of "jump off kerbs", other than trying to wreck your
bike?
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old May 30th 04, 04:46 PM
Mike Vandeman

On Sun, 30 May 2004 07:58:16 -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama"
wrote:

..On 2004-05-30, James Lynx penned:
..
.. So why do you ride a mountain bike on the road instead of riding a
.. road bike or even a cruiser?
..
..1. Not everyone has the money for two bikes.
..
..2. You can take a mountain bike anywhere a road bike can go; it will be
..slower, but you can do it. You can *not* take a road bike anywhere a
..mountain bike can go.

So why not just stay on the road? DUH!
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old May 30th 04, 05:13 PM

A MTB works better in sand,rain, snowand even
high winds on roads. Lets not forget it can take objects on the road
700c X 23 tires.

I MTB 2004